Software
Houzz Logo Print
katherineevers

favorite fixture finish?

14 years ago
I am considering "Vibrant Moderne Brushed Gold" fixtures for my bath. I really like the color. To me it looks like beautiful jewelry. But will the bath look horribly dated in five years? And if I have to sell the house at some point, will the finish be "too personal"?

Comments (18)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    My favorite for bathrooms is chrome. Easy to match between vendors, easy to clean. I have brushed nickel in my powder room and frankly I see just as many spots on those between washing...I do like oil rubbed bronze but depends on the style of your home and space. I do think those fixtures are expensive if you are concerned about resale because while they may not look dated, they may be too personalized for everyone's taste.
  • 14 years ago
    Currently I love both chrome and brushed nickel. Probably in 7-10 years the gold will be back again. It all comes around. Remember not that long ago all anyone would consider was gold. Now we are updating (replacing all the gold with brushed nickel and chrome). I do love brushed gold in my jewelry though.

    That being said, don't know what you are putting the brushed gold with, but grays would be rather attractive with the golds.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    This is why I watch so many old movies, and enjoy learning about the history of design. It trains my eye to spot what will be a classic and what is likely to be a "what was she thinking?" moment in design. While not drawn literally from the past, I see how it would have worked in various settings of the past, so I say yes to your fixture. Mine are all gold, but not in a dated, 70's way. And I knew darn well I was bucking the chrome trend, but in a classic setting with some modern fun, they look timeless. Invest in the suit, it's easy enough to change your tie/scarf/earrings. :)
  • 14 years ago
    I say go for the gold. You really like it and you should have what you like in your house. As far as looking "dated" in five years - I don't think so. If you work it right, it'll look classic. As someone else mentioned, everything comes around again.

    Look at how nice and warm gold looks in this bath, modern but warm:

    Italianate Townhouse · More Info


    And this one just looks timeless:

    Beverly Hills Family Dwelling · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Sorry to disagree with you, Manon, but neither of your links show gold finishes on the fixtures.

    katherineevers, I think most people today would not like the gold finish because it is not "in fashion." Will that be different in five years, who knows?

    If you watch HGTV shows like House Hunters, or Property Virgins, or any show about buying or renting a home - you'll hear negative comments over and over about gold finishes in the bathroom. That is usually because it is associated with the '70s or the '80s and is not "the fashion" today for the generic American taste.

    So, the choice is yours. Enjoy!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Actually antique gold is coming back and never left at companies like Sherle Wagner and other high end lines. The old polished brass of the 80's has not made a return ..thank goodness! When I just attended a Kohler event I made a comment on some gold tone finishes they had that I had not seen previously.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I honestly think that the thing that makes something look dated is not the finish itself, but how it is combined with the other elements in a room. Simple is always best. I don't see how a gold finish can ever look dated if it is combined properly with lighting, colors, countertops etc. Good taste will never look dated. Go for the gold and be mindful of the other things in the room. I hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/weve-got-a-golden-ticket-stsetivw-vs~1741601
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Charmean...Thank you for your insightful design statement. I could not agree more and I totally respect and admire your design style.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Thank you Marie, what an incredibly nice thing to say. The respect and admiration is mutual. Charmean
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Your designs are perfection to me and I have a great respect for you as a committed Houzz contributor . You are a true professional in our industry and hope people realize the time and talent you devote to Houzz.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Wow..now you've got me tearing up here. I needed that, it was a long day. :) Thank you, thank you again. I really love Houzz and have made many wonderful online friends. I'm sure like you and many of us here, I just want to decorate houses. Online or in person, doesn't matter. Best Marie, you are too kind. C.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think we share the same passion for design and I understand a long day
    in our world ! I am happy to give you the credit you deserve. MM
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your thoughtful suggestions. I do hope to live in this house for a long time. So I suppose I should get what I'll be happy waking up to every morning!

    The overall design of the bath is not sleek or glamorous. So I hope these won't be oddly in contrast. The bath will have more of a "patina of age" to it with warm gray, cream, and brown. I imagine the fixtures like a gilt frame on a painting. But I will have to decide if I am really fabulous enough for brushed gold.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    You are fabulous !! Go for the gold!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I too agree with Charmean. Good taste is timeless; if your bath starts to look dated you can change the color or paper on the walls or cabinetry, the fabric, etc. Gold goes beter with some colors and lighting than others. Clip some photos you like and don;t worry about the next person. I have attached 2 photos with gold fixtures that have a timeless appeal.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    @ Housson - no need to apologize. Disagreements in design are inevitable - and often make for a really good discussion. And seriously, the fixtures look gold to me. I found a grey hair the other day. Do I need glasses now, too? lol!

    ETA: Venus is retrograde. I'll let that be my "fall girl".
  • 14 years ago
    I second Marie Meko's sentiments, katherineevers. Embrace your fabulosity and go for it!