Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindler

Need help with stair design

11 years ago
We are planning on replacing stair treads, risers and possibly balusters. What I need help in deciding is whether to go all dark with dark risers, trim, and wrought iron balusters (we are planning to stain new treads the dark color to match the hardwoods and to paint the handrail dark - perhaps black) or stay with white accents (risers/balusters/trim). The wall color is SW Serious Gray and the hallway upstairs will be SW Lazy Gray.

I am starting to second guess - originally, I thought dark treads, white risers and trim, painted handrail (dark) and white balusters. Now I'm leaning towards using iron balusters with white trim and risers. I've looked at photos and and now can't decide which would look best in my house.

Help! This is one of the last projects in a six month house renovation and I'm ready to be done.

Comments (23)

  • 11 years ago
    Hire a local designer that also understands building codes about the allowable rise and run for stairs. This is more complicated than just picking colors.
  • 11 years ago
    When I said we I didn't mean we were doing the work. We are working with a contractor and someone who installs stairs. I just wanted an idea on the design.
  • 11 years ago
    It would help to know what is your style preference.
  • 11 years ago
    You have dark floors and dark walls; the balusters make the stairway very busy because there are a lot of them and the stairs seem steep - check out 'urban homestead' stair photo on houzz (I tried to copy photo here but it won't work) for interesting but more simple baluster idea; also I think you could do a runner on stairs that would add some color or possibly a paint treatment on stair risers for interest - see NW Homes photo of stair risers on houz
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    What is the style of the rest of the house? Traditional, contemporary, transitional? Your choice should tie in the with style of the home and the rest of your decor.
  • 11 years ago
    The house is traditional and I like clean lines. We have lots of white moulding in the house - crown, chair rail, baseboards...

    My real question is whether I should go with the iron balusters or stick with the white. I think I need to stick with white risers and apron pieces rather than going all dark.

    The staircase is on the south facing side of the house so it gets lots of light as we have a huge window in the two story foyer.
  • 11 years ago
    I'd go with the dark treads and risers white balusters and trim and black railing. Very classic. I like the risers in white also. Your balusters are very good looking and I wouldn't bother changing them. Good luck!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Treads and rails to match floor, white risers, white balusters. (Although I like black rails I think they might be too bold/harsh for your space). The brown wood color would give a softer look and not create as much attention as black would.
  • 11 years ago
    Brown paint or stain?
  • 11 years ago
    Stain.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Stain.
  • 11 years ago
    I had same steps with carpet. When we remodeled, we did Tread, railing and newel post to match floor. White risers and balusters and trim. I love iron but worried it was too trendy. We switched to box newel and plain square baluster. See attached.
  • 11 years ago
    Stephmal - your staircase is beautiful.
    Since it is so similar it gives me a good idea of how ours would look. I like iron balusters but think it might be too dark with all the other dark elements (rail and tread). I also worry about the trend factor, also.
  • 11 years ago
    Here are my steps to give another perspective. Started with carpeted stairs and had it removed after several years. Love the look and easy maintenance.
  • 11 years ago
    In process - new treads and risers in and rails getting stained
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Can't wait to see it all done! Will it be finished before Christmas?
  • 11 years ago
    It should be finished middle of next week.
  • 11 years ago
    Look forward to the update!
  • 11 years ago
    Finished product
  • 11 years ago
    Looks very nice!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Beautiful! - thanks for sharing the final look. What a difference from the golden wood you had before - this looks so rich and put together - great job lindler!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Just love your new staircase...great job!