Software
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_brook6074703

Hideous fireplace

11 years ago
Our 1924 cottage has a hideous fireplace with white painted brick and terrible mantle and trim. I plan to paint it dark and I'm inspired by the photo included here. Thoughts for the right colors?

Comments (21)

  • 11 years ago
    You could paint it, but I don't think any amount of paint can make it pretty, It's a big fireplace in a small room. It overwhelms the room.
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with flopsy...embrace the Craftsman style.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi---I agree with Flopsy---the green carpet should go. As for the FP, it's not that bad, but since you think it's "hideous" I recommend you paint it whatever color your heart desires and paint the surrounding walls, 1-2 shades lighter or darker than the brick. The less contrast in color, the less obvious it will be in your space. Have fun and Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Nelson House Wolfe & Wolfe Home · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Grand Painted Brick Fireplace · More Info
    ]
  • 11 years ago
    Are you thinking a dark grey like the hearth? That would be gorgeous and make it pop, adding visual interest and a focal point. You could also reface with slate...
  • 11 years ago
    If you want to diminish the look of it don't paint it dark! Paint out the oak trim and keep the value near the wall color to make it blend in.
  • 11 years ago
    I didn't think the green carpet was worth mentioning. It's going away as we insulate the basement beneath and restore the hardwood floors. The room is big - about 20' x 15'.
  • 11 years ago
    The space sounds Fabulous-good size and hardwood floors-Yay! Keep us posted... :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Its a cottage with a fireplace, whom ever painted white already ruined it! Save and redo when you can! Once the floors walls and furniture have been accomplished i think it will blend
  • 11 years ago
    I like the fireplace, but it could be simplified. What about covering the upper staggered brick section with drywall, much like the one in the photo that flopsycat1 showed? It would be fairly easy to do and would greatly change the look while in my opinion not becoming overly modernized. I would also paint the mantel.
  • 11 years ago
    Beef up the mantle to cover the top three rows of brick and add a wrought iron fireplace screen. New tile for floor in front of fireplace. The chimney part could be framed in square and do some decorative moulding there.
  • 11 years ago
    Is this "hideous fireplace" in Onekama? We need to introduce you to Mark the Architect... :) I think he's still in Detroit this weekend w/ limited internet, but he's based in Onekama. I'll refer him here when I can catch him. He's got a great eye for details and would love to help a local. :)

    BTW I love how the light is refracted in the windows. BLING! :)
  • 11 years ago
    The photo posted by Flopsy is nice. I think the difference is in the depth of the fireplace. Yours looks a lot deeper than then one posted by Flopsy.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I looked at buying that house.
  • 11 years ago
    I believe you've all missed the point of the post. This person obviously has a taste in midcentury and you're all sending them craftsman photos!

    I agree that the brick can and should be covered with drywall. Oak trims need to go for that look and a shelf that wraps around asymmetrically to one side will create a bit of much needed tension. Good luck!
  • 11 years ago
    Steven, I don't think they have missed the point at all.
  • 11 years ago
    @rredpenn - Yes, Onekama and I saw Mark the Architect's post too so he knows exactly what we're dealing with. Small world! I'm no fan of painted brick especially white.

    I wouldn't characterize the house as craftsman. @mark-bischak-architect would you?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    It's more of a classic old lake cottage then? What does the exterior look like? Maybe that would help inform the help here with a direction to go, as far as what to do with the fireplace to make it "fit in". A better idea of the entire room at very least would be useful.

    Without seeing the place, it is harder to conjecture how the gray paint/new mantle would look, but I agree that it needs something... :) The white looks industrial, like some school janitor was told to paint it. :) Natalie may be right to paint it with a shade that makes it "fit" with the walls, but not match it exactly. I like the idea too of getting some rock veneer on it (houseatthelake's last photo). That is not hard to do (we did it ourselves) and would be a nice, lake-y focal point in the room.

    Mark is very nice. He will be getting back to you, I bet, real soon. :)
  • 11 years ago
    @rredpenn - We are in agreement on the white paint! Here's the exterior - still working to clean up.
  • 11 years ago
    Very cool, andrea! Looks like the green carpet extends out onto the porch? LOL We have a lake house, and there are some people who just LOOOVE that indoor/outdoor marine grade carpeting. You are going to have a ball with making that place a home... the porch itself looks perfect for Fourth of July banners and a cooler of lemonade and watermelon slices!
  • 11 years ago
    @Rredpenn: LOL! No outdoor carpet. The porch is painted the same color as the carpet. Another project...