Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_3300680

Living Room Help please

11 years ago
I need some suggestions to help our living room go from "blah" to a bit more "wow" while keeping the existing furniture. We have a puppy and cats so can't do rugs but anything else would be great. The space is long and very bright because there's a wall of windows on the right. Also would love some input on what color to paint the woodwork that's going to be under the fireplace (currently surrounded by lovely cardboard). Would an ivory/ off white work better than a dark color? I There's duct work under the fireplace so we need to keep it accessible (can't install rock there) and are considering installing removable wood panels, including one with a drawer for kindling wood storage. Thanks so much!

Comments (30)

  • 11 years ago
    I would rearrange the larger couch adjacent to the dining table and swap the loveseat where the chair is,
    User thanked Cee Dubbz
  • 11 years ago
    What about this gray color for the woodwork under the fireplace?
    http://houzz.com/photos/3890084
    User thanked hemina
  • 11 years ago
    You could add drapes with some color in them. You could add a floor lamp for structure against that rear wall. I'd probably start with some side tables where the seating meets, with table lamps.

    I'd also say match the fireplace wood to the color/ texture of the shelf that already exists there for comfortable cohesiveness. Plus the medium to darker wood tone will give it a nice grounded weight.

    It's a gorgeous room, it already has a lot of wow factor, just needs some "jewelry". Maybe lamps with brighter metallic finishes, or some Mercury glass. A little more red sprinkled around the room, maybe in a lampshade or some artwork. Looks great, lucky you! :)
    User thanked spatialthinking
  • 11 years ago
    Taupe, ivory and deep blues would be a nice warm and cozy feel.
    User thanked Cee Dubbz
  • 11 years ago
    I would start with lowering the fireplace mantel. Why is up so high?
    User thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If I match the mantel color to under the fireplace would that not be too close to the color of the flooring? Gray could work since that's also a color in the stone. Would you paint just the wall behind the 3 seater sofa a darker taupe or other walls, too? I definitely want to add a couple of side tables with lamps. Would something like this work? http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Simple-Living-Ethan-End-Table/7666669/product.html My couch table is the same dark color so it would even match. Do you think it would look better if I had one larger and one smaller painting on the wall behind the sofa rather than both the same size?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Margo- I totally agree with the mantel of the fireplace being too high visually. The problem is that we had to have a certain distance to the fireplace and that was as low as we could go, crazy as that seems. We can't lower it because of the way it's installed.
  • 11 years ago
    OK- how about removing it then?
  • 11 years ago
    Painting the bottom of the fireplace the same color as the mantle would *definitely* tone down it feeling so high. As for being close to the floor color, I would tend to think that was a good thing.
    User thanked spatialthinking
  • 11 years ago
    Unfortunately can't do that either. It's basically cemented into the wall.
  • 11 years ago
    Ingakarina- that's an excellent point! Thank you!
  • 11 years ago
    I think the picture on the left should be moved over to be same distance to window as the picture on the right. Either that or replace it with a bigger one or a grouping of smaller ones. That will give better balance. Your trim is white why not trim out the space under your fireplace with white ,and paint mantel to match?
    User thanked Mary Nigro
  • User thanked Mary Nigro
  • 11 years ago
    In essence unfortunately the mantle is off-limits to any kind of modification, including being painted or moved. My father-in-law cut the tree it came from, stored it in his barn for ages, then stained it, installed it and I would never hear the end of it if I painted it. Plus it is pretty gorgeous up close. So I have to work around it. What about painting the space under the fireplace a really dark mocha color?
  • 11 years ago
    Oh ! Then I would not touch it! :) still like the idea of the base painted white. If not match the wood of the mantle. It looks like there would be enough contrast to floor. The idea would be to finish it off nicely ,having it blend in without calling to much attention away from the rest of the fireplace.
    User thanked Mary Nigro
  • 11 years ago
    I love your red accents. These red vases would be nice for your fireplace hearth? http://houzz.com/photos/12700063
    User thanked Mary Nigro
  • 11 years ago
    I moved the picture on the left, put the three loveseat where the three seater was before and already see a nice change. Please keep your suggestions coming.
  • 11 years ago
    I know you said no area rugs because of the puppy and cats, but it is unbelievable how much they help to pull everything together. They make some very nice indoor/outdoor rugs now. They are easy to keep clean, just regular vacuuming, and if need be hosing them down. Of course this is all mute if the puppy likes to chew.
    User thanked asterales
  • 11 years ago
    Asterales- Our puppy does like to chew but I suppose at some point she will hopefully be out of that phase and I could start gathering ideas for rugs now. Do you have a recommendation for where I might look online?
  • 11 years ago
    I agree that the mantle should match the wood under the fireplace. I would center the love seat under the window, add a traditional area rug with red in it like in attachment, move red pillow to couch so that your cute flowered pillow stands out, maybe add a valance to windows. I like my rooms to flow together so I would want to know what colors you have in house. Carry one element of color from room to room. Looking good !
    User thanked rsomwil
  • 11 years ago
    For indoor/outdoor rugs you could start by looking here on Houzz under rugs to get an idea of the designs available. You could also try Pottery Barn, Ballard Designs, rugsusa and overstock to name a few others.
    User thanked asterales
  • 11 years ago
    Our house pretty much has light taupe/ beige walls, lots of wood, stainless steel appliances, blue pearl countertops, silver/metal/black picture frames. I LOVE anything with flowers. The living room, dining room and kitchen are all one open area.
  • 11 years ago
    I've found a rug that might work (when our puppy is older) but am not sure about the color. Which color do you think works better:
    Indoor/Outdoor Courtyard Area Rug, Natural, Brown, Square 7'10" · More Info
    Indoor/Outdoor Courtyard Area Rug, Gray, Natural, Square 7'10" · More Info
    or
    Indoor/Outdoor Courtyard Area Rug, Red, Natural, Square 7'10" · More Info
    Although the red one is probably a bit too intense.
  • 11 years ago
    I like the red! With your furniture covering portions of it I think it would not be to intense. Just a FYI I have two chewing labs and I found bitter apple spray works good to deter chewing. I just get the stuff out and they don't touch what I sprayed.I have used it on wood furniture and moldings and even the Christmas tree. Spot test it first to make sure it doesn't mark but I have never had any issues. Of course it won't help with potty training ;)
    User thanked Mary Nigro
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I agree with changing the furniture arrangement and lowering the mantle. Also, a rug and window treatments will add color and warmth. Enjoy!
    User thanked Julia & Elizabeth
  • 11 years ago
    On another subject why is there ductwork below your fireplace? It looks like there's some ductwork above also.
    User thanked houseatthelake
  • 11 years ago
    Belle Chaise this room is a very long rectangle with a large wall of windows facing a mountain (on the right as you look at the couches). I totally agree that a window treatment would make the space look so much warmer but Theres no real way to add window treatments along the "wall of windows" and wouldn't it be a bit odd to only have a valance or curtains on one window, the one behind the couches, straight ahead?
  • 11 years ago
    The duct work below is for the fire place and the boxed in area above is where the chimney had to go at an angle and so we had the whole thing boxed in. Maybe not the best of all decisions in retrospect. :-)
  • 11 years ago
    JJman12- thank you for your puppy tips! Greatly appreciate them and will definitely look for the bitter apple spray. :-)