Software
Houzz Logo Print
lindagreco

Dining room, need advice!!

11 years ago
I would like to get some ideas on what I can do with my dining chairs. I was thinking of chalk painting them a lighter colour with a dark wax but I've never done this before and to be honest I'm a little nervous but excited at the same time. I had a custom live edge table made for me but will receive them this week. (I included a pic of table too) the table is a dark walnut with curved legs.My dining room is painted in Ashley gray by Benjamin Moore. Wainscot is silver satin by Benjamin Moore. I also need to get drapes to set a nice ambiance. Please help me....

Comments (38)

  • 11 years ago
    refinishing chairs is fun and you have a lot of options. experiment with one chair until you get the look you like. stay open to different products and different combinations. do a lot of research on what is available.
  • 11 years ago
    Your chairs look very ornate and formal for a live edge table. Do the seats unscrew easily? You should recover them in something less dressy.
  • 11 years ago
    Forgot one more detail...I'm reupholstering the chairs seats to leather in a dark pewter or metallic
  • 11 years ago
    Yes your right leelee, but the tables legs are a little fancier because they're curved. Do you think leather seats will make it less formal?
  • 11 years ago
    Table legs
  • 11 years ago
    Some ideas, rooms painted same colour
  • 11 years ago
    Here is an example of a chair that inspired me
  • 11 years ago
    blenheimnewzealand, I love the colour of the chairs in the third picture. That's exactly what I want!!
  • 11 years ago
    I don't see a problem with simple table and ornate chairs. It would be better if we saw the table in the room first.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Ramona! As soon as I get the table, I will post it for sure.
  • 11 years ago
    I love the ideas you sent me. The first one has a metallic finish, which is beautiful. The second compliments the wall colour. Love!!!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I love your idea, and though it may be a bit scary, there are many videos on YouTube and other internet places that tell you how to do it. I am always making art projects, lol

    This is what I love about "chabby-chic". You have elements of glamour with rustic antique looks that really do marriage well together. You can mix your chairs, even slip cover a couple of them to give some interest. Don't be afraid to mix it up. :)

    Kiawah Family Home · More Info

    Breakfast Nook · More Info

    Transitional Dining Room · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    I've had success using Annie Sloan chalk paint to refinish a cabinet in my bathroom-before and after pictures are included. I also refinished an accent table using Annie Sloan paint. There are many colors to choose from. Your dining room is beautiful. Good luck!
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Lynnie, that make me feel much better.
  • 11 years ago
    Karen, what were the steps you took to get that great finish? Beautiful job by the way!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    You should put a light color rug in this area to make it bright!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think this is a lovely room and furnishings which show a lot of potential. To bring the room to life I would consider maybe adding a hint of duck egg blue into the mix along with a dresser/buffet as a focal point to tie the room together. This shows lots of potenital I look forward to seeing where you go next :) Good luck.
  • 11 years ago
    lindagreco, on the cabinet, I first used the color cocoa from Annie Sloan's collection. Next I added a pearl finish to give it a metallic look, and last I used dark wax to tone it down. On the table I used one of the beige colors-can't remember the name bc it was over 2 years ago and used the soft wax over it. If you can find a local place who carries Annie Sloan, they will walk you through the steps. Good luck!
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Karen!! You're very talented. I have a question for you, what makes Annie Sloan paint so different from other brands??
  • 11 years ago
    Sloan developed her own formula over years and it is meant to cover anything, really anything. I haven't worked with it, so if you have a company nearby, it is useful to talk to them. Often they have workshops. She tried to take paint back hundreds of years and uses colors that also go back. It is thick although you are encouraged to add water if you wish.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks, Ramona for answering that question so thoroughly! The best thing is that you don't have to sand before applying the paint. Simply paint on a clean surface and let dry and then apply the wax. There are lots of tutorials on line so you can watch the process if you don't have a store in your area. If you rather not tackle the project, I would recommend having your chairs professionally spray painted, but if you are trying to achieve that weathered-old look, Annie Sloan is the way to go. Good luck and keep us posted! Your dining room is going to be beautiful.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Karen
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Karen. Just wondering, what makes Annie Sloan different from other brands of chalk paint?
  • 11 years ago
    Actually, I'm not sure if there is a difference between other brands of chalk paint and Annie Sloan's brand. I'm only familiar with Annie Sloan. I'm sure they are all similar. Have you looked on-line? Does anyone have experience with the other brands of chalk paint out there in Houzz world??
  • 11 years ago
    You will love love love Annie Sloan paint ...the best ,so easy!
  • 11 years ago
    Your room is beautiful! I think you may want to go lighter with the chairs. Stain and fabric. As for the curtains I would wait until you decide if you're adding a rug and complement the rug and curtain. Something with a pattern would be nice for texture - maybe a Greek key.
  • 11 years ago
    Your room is beautiful. Try with one chair. If you don't like you can change. Just get chair fabric samples including the leather. I would take one step at a time.
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you all for your compliments! I'm excited to work on this and to show the end result. I love this app, it's so helpful !!
  • 11 years ago
    I am glad that Karen Dumond explained her process. I know that there are many others too. Even using tools like chains and covering them with cloth as you make some "destressed" marks while the paint is wet. There are many avenues you can go with chalk paint.
  • 11 years ago
    I finally finish my Chair project!!! Whoo whoo !!! I chalk painted and finished with a poly acrylic clear coat. Reupholstered with a faux pewter leather. I'm so happy with the results!!!
  • 11 years ago

    Very nice! Great transformation. I've never used acrylic on top of chalk paint. Good to know that worked out. I'll have to try it next time. It looks like you achieved a very professional look. Enjoy :-) Post pictures of you dining room when your space is finished.

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you Karen!! I will send a picture or the set.
  • 11 years ago

    I liked your chair - will you do us the pleasure of seeing more in a photo?!