Software
Houzz Logo Print
sharybee

Modifying laminate kitchen countertop

11 years ago
Hi all, I would like to change my current kitchen sink which is a top mount double sink to an apron type sink. Is it possible to modify the existing white laminate counter-top that's housing the current sink to accommodate an apron sink? If an apron sink is not possible, what about a larger under mount sink.

Thanks,
Sharina

Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago
    Anything can be done with the help of a skilled carpenter. From looking at the images it does not seem that you can go with a much larger sink without altering the blank space at the dishwasher and changing out the cabinet. What is to the left of your sink?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    My fridge. Can't really move anywhere else. Good thing is I don't have a dishwasher... don't really want one. I think it is possible to make the opening bigger. Realistically I think the best I can do it to get an under mount sink that's bigger. If i change to an apron sink I think the countertop will have to be changed.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    To accommodate an apron sink would also entail modifying the cabinet front. I'm not able to see the cabinet front in the photo to be able to determined if it can be done with your cabinet or not. There are a few apron sink brands that can work, but it would need to be a top mounted apron sink style and correct size width and depth to fit your cabinet.

    It is best to call a laminate counter top company to replace your whole counter with a new sub top and new laminate. Laminate is not warranted to go over the top of the old laminate, due to not knowing how secure the existing laminate is holding down.

    You could find a single sink bowl the same size or a double uneven 60/40 sink might achieve what you want. The 60/40 sink is a bigger sink on one side and smaller sink on the other side.
    sharybee thanked Wyland Interior Design Center
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    It does appear in the photo that you might have a couple inches on each side to make sink wider. The single bowl would need to be smaller in width than the cabinets inside width to fit.
    sharybee thanked Wyland Interior Design Center
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    In regards to changing the laminate counters out, sometimes when cutting a larger hole to accommodate a larger sink, the laminate can sometimes jar loose or delaminate from the existing sub top while cutting the counter. Hence, needing new laminate. A professional laminate counter top installer can better determine this by coming out to the home to take a look at your project.
    sharybee thanked Wyland Interior Design Center
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You don't ''renovate'' laminate. You replace it. No laminate with farm sinks. You need to change to a solid surface material like granite if you want an undermount sink. You also need to either remake the sink base completely to accept a traditional farm sink, or pick the Kohler Whitehaven model with the short apron.
    sharybee thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Kelley Blevins, please do, please post some pix. You wouldn't have happened to document the change would you :)?
  • 11 years ago
    Only a few photos. The first shows me testing general size with foil. Lol. I don't have pictures of the side supports before we installed sink but you can see how it was cut out. Counters are still not finished on one side and the paint is funky as I'm still testing colors. Now to finish the rest of the kitchen!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I believe Kohler has a model that can be retrofitted into a laminate top.
  • 11 years ago
    Look at the blanco silgranit sink. Not an apron style, but you can get a deep bowl like a farmhouse style and it can be installed under or over mount for laminate.
    sharybee thanked lnholloway74
  • 11 years ago

    Finally changed my sink out. Thanks Inholloway74 for recommending Blanco's silgranit. Am loving it. Though it's not undermount but this great too. It's big and the best part is I could still have double sinks with the accessories I got with it.


  • 9 years ago

    Love the sink can you tell me more about it and the accessories?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Hi Dorothy, its coming to two years since I changed the sink and am still loving it. The sink is from Blanco and the model is Jumbo Sink Plenta, material made from silgranit. When I bought it accessories came with it but I believe you can buy them separately, if it doesn't. I use the dish drainer more the anything. Its part of the sink. The rest not so much. Do share a pic or two if you end up getting it.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you for the information it would be the perfect sink for us but alas as far as I can see it is unavailable in the US :-(

  • 9 years ago

    Oh dear. Ya, I think it's an old model but I am lucky that I found a shop in Malaysia that still carries it. Was just checking the site. Too bad they don't deliver to the US but it will probably cost an arm and a leg.

    By the way I saw this [Blanco 441770 18.5"x33.5" Granite Single Undermount Kitchen Sink, Metallic Gray[(https://www.houzz.com/products/blanco-441764-185x335-granite-single-undermount-kitchen-sink-metallic-gray-prvw-vr~52386019) - maybe you may want to consider it.

    by Blanco U.S.


  • 9 years ago

    Sigh that seems to be the problem when I find a "perfect" sink it is not available here, out of production or must frustrating of all undermount ONLY and we are getting laminate counters so must have a new drop in sink. The one you linked is very similar to the one I am leaning towards since I can't get one like yours.... [https://www.houzz.com/products/blanco-440193-5-22x335-granite-single-dual-mount-kitchen-sink-metallic-gray-prvw-vr~52385139[(https://www.houzz.com/products/blanco-440193-5-22x335-granite-single-dual-mount-kitchen-sink-metallic-gray-prvw-vr~52385139)

  • 9 years ago

    Ah I see, you need it to be top mounted. Sigh. Sorry about that. Hope you'll be able to get the accessories. Its great. And actually that's one of the reasons why I got a Blanco, coz if the accessories. It can really transform your sink and space saving as well. Anyway, do share your final look when it's done ya.

  • 4 years ago

    @sharybee hi, I know this is an old tread. What kind of laminate counters do you have? Are they the solid color ones? They look like quartz. I am looking for a solid white counter and am considering laminate since it holds up so well.