Software
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_goshorn

New couch! New problems!!

11 years ago
Hi!! I just recently moved into a house that we updated and purchased a new sectional. Went with a leather sofa because of the dog and the hubby really wanted it. This leather sofa has me perplexed as far as how to decorate around it...lol I dislike my current coffee table and was wondering if anybody has any ideas of one that would look better. I don't want it to look too rustic! I still need to get new pillows and art on the wall too!!

I attached a pic of a piece of art I like for above the couch!

Thanks :)

Comments (40)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Sectional really seems to fit the space well! I'd suggest a larger rug, great place to pull in color! Could you use an end table with lamp on the right end of the sectional, then hang the art centered over the sofa. Pull some colors from the rug for pillows!
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks! Could I put a large rectangle Sisal rug under the cowhide rug? I just bought the cowhide rug so I'd like to make it work. Also, would glass/brass nesting tables work with the sofa.

    I agree I need some colorful pillows!!

    I added a couple more pictures of the house! Thanks so much :)
  • 11 years ago
    Oh, I meant replace the current coffee table with nesting tables ;)
    Thanks!
  • 11 years ago
    Yes the rug sounds good. Love the couch & kitchen! Pick a color from pillows for art & curtains & add one cool color.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Love the Sisal idea! Nesting tables are a great solution since you don't have much room within the seating area! Lovely home!
  • 11 years ago
    Beautiful house! A round table might work nicely for a new coffee table. Maybe a light grayish wood or a glass table like the Pottery Barn Tanner. I'd get a coffee table and then think about adding a second rug, I kind of like the rug as is.
  • 11 years ago
    Besides the Pottery Barn Tanner round coffee table, this West Elm table might be another good option.
  • 11 years ago
    For an added punch of colour how do you feel about persimmon as an accent colour in 2 stools to use as a coffee table
    and a metal side table.
    smaller items can free up space.
    Flow Staging · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks so much for the advise!!

    Would this coffee table work? It's the Gabby Sutton coffee table (The Sutton table features a dark faux shagreen that covers a shield shaped frame on an oak base.) I just love how unique it is but a little worried about the color! I plan on getting a metal side table. Also, I ordered this art work for behind the couch!

    Thanks again!
  • 11 years ago
    The table is very interesting as a stand out piece.
    If you like it, why not
    Nice painting
    U could use the colour in the painting as accents for some needed 'pop'
  • 11 years ago
    I think the sofa has good bones- you just need to add the finishing touches! Here are some ideas
    : add round coffee table
    : add drapes -hung from ceiling to floor- you'll need to pull sofa away from window about a foot.
    Add a fig tree to side of sofa near dog door
    Add stackable end tables to one side,
  • 11 years ago
    Add art work last.
  • 11 years ago
    I love the art. Don't hang it too high. I also love the cowhide No need to change that. coffee table is very unique & just the right touch for the space.
  • 11 years ago
    Love the art. Also like the table you're considering but like you, not sure about the color. It could end up looking a bit dark next to the dark sofa. Also, might have a bit of a "heavy" look along with the heavy look of a leather sectional. I think the round ones with a glass or light colored top might be safer.
  • 11 years ago
    Custom Leather Ladson Sectional by Bassett Furniture · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Great ideas!! I like the round table idea for the coffee table but not sure about it right next to the round dinning table. Also, the white top might be too much with the white rug, fireplace and island!

    Love the idea of putting a fig tree next to the couch. Thx :)
  • 11 years ago
    Good point Kelly - I forgot all about the nearby round dining table! I see what you're saying about the white top, but for the same reason (all the other white elements), I don't think you'll want the sectional area to be too dark and heavy with the dark leather and dark heavy table. I might keep pondering the coffee table for a bit.
  • 11 years ago
    Any needlepoint pillow or pillow with lots of texture would be great next to the leather.
  • 11 years ago
    Use the colors in the art for pillows and accessories. Why isn't the TV in the TV niche to the left of the fireplace?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    T.v. needs to be moved. Listen to groveraxle.

    Stinson Beach Retreat · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Hi! The niche is almost in the middle of the entire room and I think it would have looked odd having the tv not centered with the couch. The tv would be centered with the dog door. I'm not a fan of TV's above the fireplace so that's why I got rid of the mantel...lol We are going to have a built in (possibly wet bar) made for the niche.

    Here are some pics when the previous owner lived here ;)
  • 11 years ago
    That's a good idea to skip a coffee table!
  • 11 years ago
    Definitely looks better without the table but I cannot put an ottoman on the side due to the door. I will need a table for drinks...etc!!

    Also, I put tape on the wall for the pic measurements! Hope you can see it! Thx :)
  • 11 years ago
    Oh yeah, art size looks good. I really like how it looks without the coffee table and I still like that rug as is, without another under it. If you have 12" on the door side of the sectional, you'll be able to find a rectangular table you can snug up real close to that side.
  • 11 years ago
    Gotta have a table, it just needn't be a "coffee" table. How about a couple of small personal size tables, something just large enough to hold a glass, magazine, etc...
  • 11 years ago
    The picture looks like a good size.

    Put a C-table on the end of the sofa.
    Urban C-Table in Coco · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Kelli, could you post a picture of the piece of the sectional adjacent to the doggy door? How much space do you have before the fireplace wall? What about a round ottoman in a bright accent color in place of a cocktail table? I still like your idea of stacking tables, but another option would be the ottoman. Put your feet up, put a tray down for drinks! Vanguard makes a great one with lots of options!
  • 11 years ago
    Happy New Year Susan!!!
    I think the ottoman idea is a great option with the tray!! My husband loves it too!! Will the round ottoman look ok next to the round dinning room table?

    The space between the couch and the fireplace wall is about 11' and the whole room is about 14 1/2' wide. The coffee table that is shown in the picture is 50" x 24" if that helps!
    Thanks so much :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Happy New Year! Round ottoman will be fine..repetition of shapes!
  • 11 years ago
    So I went a little crazy and ordered this ottoman! I'm having second thoughts about it!!! I probably should have gotten a solid color! Do you think it will look ok? If not, I have another spot in my house that it would look good.
  • 11 years ago
    Sure, it might work, but you'll know as soon as you see it in the room.
  • 11 years ago
    Est-ce possible de l'avoir en Français ?
  • 11 years ago
    Every time I look at this living room I want to rotate and re-orient that cow hide .Sofa does not need to sit on it. Pull the cowhide out a bit .
  • 11 years ago
    I like a lot of the suggestions you have gotten.....I would suggest going without the coffee table and using a small table (like the orange ones) at the end of your couch and one in the center for putting coffee on. Speaking of the couch/sectional, to me it looks squeazed into the corner....can you pull it out about 8 inches without it looking weird? Maybe putting a floor lamp that hangs over in the corner. Also your round dining room table....can you pull it more torward the center of your room (centered with bar) or will the walk way be too narrow? If you msut leave your TV above the fireplace, then I would fill the niche with a bookcase to even things out. What bothers me about the TV over the fireplace is that the fireplace is too small....can you 'beef it up" with a mantle and the side wood that comes down?
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with Erinsean -you need to pull the sofa away from the window a little bit. I would add a sofa table under the window , then push the sectional against it. Next, I would place a large vase with tall twigs on top of the sofa table.
    -The twigs will look great centered in the window and add interest in the room.
  • 11 years ago
    My first thought also, looks squished in the corner. The sofa table behind it will give it a more centered look on the other wall and provide a place for lamps or drinks.
  • 11 years ago
    Here is an example - just imagine an window.
  • 11 years ago
    Here are more ideas