Software
Houzz Logo Print
chris_treadwell

Need fascia design help

11 years ago
My wife and I bought a late 1960's modern home with a flat roof, and it has a fascia design that is "mansard" like. The fascia board itself angles in towards the house as it moves up towards the roof, and it is clad in shingles (originally cedar shake but has since been converted to asphalt).

If budget were unlimited, I was going to have this squared off and wrapped in western red cedar to completely eliminate the "mansard" aspect. The stucco house will be painted grey with darker grey trim and feature a modern landscape design. Something like this:
Robinson Hammett Residence · More Info


That said, we had some issues come up today that might make the fascia plan get scrapped from the list. So I'm wondering if any of you brilliant people have any better ideas? It would save a ton of money to keep the "mansard" angle to the fascia. But we could still switch out the shingles for horizontal strips of cedar, like this:
Menlo Park Entry · More Info
What do you think?

When the previous owner removed the cedar shake and stucco'd over the original brick walls, the house lost all its contrasting textures and colors. It is drab now. So I have to solve that design problem while updating the home in a way that is appealing but gives a gentle nod to its mid-century spirit. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments (5)