Software
Houzz Logo Print
bk_wagner

ISO cost-effective 7' bathroom vanity top

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
What is my best option for replacing a 7' long vanity sink top? Even the cheapest fake granite/marble top at Lowe's is still $800! Yikes! However, a laminate top, while more cost-effective, seems like it wouldn't hold up to all of the moisture in a bathroom, plus wouldn't look as nice?? Could we refinish the top? I'm not sure if it is real or fake marble--the previous homeowners were "fancy," so it could be real.

The rest of the bathroom is getting a facelift as well, though the cabinets are staying the same.

Comments (12)

  • 11 years ago
    What don't you like about the current countertop? If you're on a budget and the counter is in good condition, I would focus on other changes.
  • 11 years ago
    It has blue swirls in it. Picky, picky, I know! I am so tired of all of the blue in our house! I'm a tan, beige, brown, earth tones kind of gal.
  • 11 years ago
    It looks like a cultured marble counter top to me that was so popular in the 1980s and 1990s. Some new faucets might help update the counter top but if it is in good shape I agree with the previous poster. If it is in good condition then leave it. It can always be changed at a much later date.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for the input everyone. Hubby also wants to refinish/recoat the cast iron tub because he doesn't want to remove a perfectly good tub and replace it with fiberglass that won't last nearly as long as cast iron. And seriously, believe me it's true, we don't have ANY professional bathtub resurfacing companies in our area. But refinishing it ourselves is making me super nervous!
  • 11 years ago
    What about refinishing the countertop? I've seen it done in kitchens, but that was likely on laminate??
  • 11 years ago
    New faucets really can update a countertop. For now update everything else and look for remnant or recycled pieces of granite, soapstone, chalkboard slate or marble as they can be heavily discounted. Our local wholesalers put whole and half slabs up to 50% sometimes just to make room for newer ones. As for the cast iron tub, do you have a historical society around you? They're excellent when it comes to helping people find resources and local artisans.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Really out of the box here...do you love the cabinets? I replaced mine with two chests I found at a flea market painted them myself added a matching set of cool sinks by cutting a whole in the top dropping in the sinks I got on Craig's list. Got two sinks instead of one. More storage all for $475...and some work. Looks very updated...not the same old counter top....poly the chest after painting and no worry's. Did it in two weekends but it really turned the everyday galley bathroom into something better than I hoped for. Hard part is finding what you love. At the price you can pay...stalk Craig's list. EBay..flea markets...furniture outlets..for sinks deal yard in addition to the others I mentioned they come with new faucets and all plumbing Lines....took me several months to find what I liked but boy too boy what a cost effective update. My camera isn't working or I'd post a picture. Got the idea from dig magazine..counter height is better also...people had really low counters in my older home . bathrooms are hard on a budget.if you look hard enough and are lucky it could be cheaper... Cutting legs off a chest can work to adjust heights and if you want open shelves take out the drawers sand well before painting add baskets...even can buy old dressers without drawer's make sure solid wood. They are real cheap. Real wood only...not pressed board...they are a sponge for moisture...poly poly poly to keep dry. Matt or gloss your choice. Good luck. ...you will do great..have fun.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Have you check with one of your local counter top fabricators in your area? You might be able to find a remnant for that price. Visit a couple of fabricators, explain to them your budget and ask them what remnants that they might have at to fit into that price range or less. There may be a rem that has been sitting around for a while and they would be happy to unload it.


    Also, I wouldn't totally discount laminate counter tops. Wilsonart HD laminates look so much like natural stone, it is amazing! Laminate counters have been used for many, many years in bathroom and have with stand moisture without any problems. They only times you have issues is if the laminate wasn't install correctly in the first place.*** See top photo left and right.


    There is also a product called Benissimo Granite Solution which is a granite tile product that has the same thick bullnose edge like a granite slab. It is half the price (installed) than a granite slab. I sell a fair amount of them out of my retail showroom. Check out their website: http://www.benissimosystems.com/Granite+Solutions/Components/default.aspx *** See photos bottom left and right.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I grew up on how-to shows, but I think Hubby wants to take the lead on this one, so I'm trying to sneak in some hints and ideas here and there ;) I don't LOVE the cabinets, but Hubby says they are staying :( I am short and we have kids, so I don't mind the height. LOVE the idea of searching for some unique pieces to replace the cabinets, though. Maybe down the road...

    I also LOVE those countertops that Wyland Interior Design Center posted. I will look into that info!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Can you post more pics? I definitely think work with what you have until you're prepared for a complete renovation. Better to have quality materials than investing in sub-par materials/finishes that will eventually need to be fixed/replaced (this includes resurfacing your tub). Here's what I would do:
    1. Remove carpet (?) and install new floor
    2. Remove wallpaper and paint walls pale blue (hoping the pic below can convince you)
    3. Paint entry/closet doors white to match trim
    4. Replace cabinet hardware and towel bars
    5. Paint or stain the trim around the mirror to match the white trim or color of the cabinets
    6. Replace vanity light
    7. Install new shower curtain and white towels
    Who knows? You may grow to like it.

    http://www.mariakillam.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/image30-687x1024.jpg
  • 8 years ago

    What was the outcome?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths