Software
Houzz Logo Print
bedtime_gw

Growing store baught scallions and leeks in water

13 years ago

I was at the store and saw some scallions and leeks with decent roots so I decided to buy them and put them in some water. Originally I had put them right into soil but only a few hours later they went soft so I took them out and put them right in water.

When in water what kind of light should they be getting? Full sun? Shaded sun? I face SW and get direct sun from about 1pm - 6pm in my apartment. This is currently all indoors as the temp in my zone is about -1C.

If I was to plant these in soil, when would be the best time?

Comments (7)

  • 13 years ago

    plant them in soil outside when it goes to 3-4C at nite. just a bit above freezing. it's much better for them to root at cold temps - no rotting then. i stuck a few sprouting garlic cloves 1 mo ago (it's been regularly going to -1/-2 and they are growing, showing green tips). you could put them out right now, but then i'd cover them with a plastic bottle for the nite, since they have large green tops already.

  • 13 years ago

    petrushka,

    Thanx. It'll be about another week or 2 before we start getting temps that rise to 3-4 C in the morning. Currently thats what I've been getting here during the day. So for now I guess I'll keep them in the water near the window with the window open a crack to let the cold air in and keep them somewhat cold.

    As of now they look and healthy and feel firm so I guess thats a good sign. :)

  • 13 years ago

    do you want to eat them or grow just for fun? the ones grown in water will be bitter. they have good roots already, just plant them in soil now, they'll grow roots by the time you put them out. so if old leaves wilt, the new ones will be ready to go.

  • 13 years ago

    petrushka,

    Sorry, i forgot about this thread. I had tried to put the leeks in soil and they went limp very fast so I took them out and I've kept them in water since. In any event I'm just eating a little of them everyday until they're gone. So far the leeks have grown about maybe 3 inches or so in the water. :)

  • 13 years ago

    Here is an update of the leeks only 11 days later. I've been eating the leeks by peeling off layers at a time. I'd say I've peeled off about 5-6 layers on each leek and its still growing. I'd say they've grown about 6" in height at least. As well as having grown more actual leek stalks. When I looked inside the stalks I was surprised to find that under each stalk is another smaller baby stalk and with the baby, another stalk. This goes on into infinity. Kinda cool. You can tell the new stalks because they have pointed ends and have not been cut. I'd say I've got at least twice the amount of 'leekage' with this soaking method.

  • 13 years ago

    the new shoots look pretty cool - you can plant leeks in with other stuff - looks like grass. may be it'll repell insects too? like garlic? or you could nestle water containers among the other pots on the balcony or indoors. I like the spiky tall look.

  • 13 years ago

    Looks like it's going well, but starting to get yellow from insufficient light/nutrients. How fun!! I stick these kinds of things in the ground often and usually end up with more. Bulbs are extremely vigorous, patient, tenacious.

Sponsored