Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Crocuses are Blooming!

gardenbug
13 years ago

Just got my first glimpse of them yesterday in my perennial garden. January 26th. Also noticed my bleeding heart poking through the soil. Anyone else?

Comments (10)

• cjjulian
    13 years ago

Yup, my purple Crocus came up already and in bloom. My Tulips are poking through the soil too.

My Tulips
    {{gwi:4416}}

Crocus
    {{gwi:4417}}

Crocus flowers closed because no sun today
    {{gwi:4418}}

• hostalover360
    13 years ago

{{gwi:4419}}

Wow some people really get to see their Spring flowers early, you guys are lucky, My gardens a buried under more then 3 feet of snow, It will be at least 2 months before I see any Spring flowers!

• ellen218
    13 years ago

Wow! I have the first bloom as well. We are new to South Carolina after many years in Miami and I was afraid that it was too early and I had done something wrong, but apparently, crocuses come early. I saw some sprouts last week and heaped on some pine straw to insulate them, but I gather I should just let nature take it's course. So pretty!

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

I am feeling zone envy, they are so pretty and I cant grow them.. sigh... :(

• gw2010nc
    13 years ago

And the crocus have arrived in zone 7b -
    {{gwi:4420}}From 2011 Garden

Here is a link that might be useful: more pictures here

• cynnagirl
    13 years ago

I've planted cream, yellow, and purple crocuses like mad last fall, both in the garden and through the lawn, and can't wait to see them. A few dozen have come up already, but only yellow ones. Anyone ever noticed one colour coming up earlier than others?
    Even in the lawn, only the Gypsy Girls have popped up and are blooming, the others haven't even shown any green yet, very curious. Unless, of course, the purple and cream ones taste better to the squirrels!

• ladychroe
    13 years ago

Poor hostalover! I am sad for you :(

I have snowdrops blooming and the eranthis have buds. I can't believe how much I dote on those little blooms this time of year. And this year my daughter is 20 months and is now old enough to enjoy them with me!

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Apologies if you've already seen this over on perennials.

My camera is getting elderly and has been dropped once too often. But here's a blurry picture I took on the walk home from work day before yesterday. Crocus tommasinianus (always first out and now a little bashed from rain) and white heather.

{{gwi:4421}}

I was up in London yesterday where there is a bit warmer urban microclimate and there are tubs full of daffodils out. Mine are just showing yellow.

• hostalover360
    13 years ago

{{gwi:4422}}

ladychore, Yeah Winters here are crazy sometimes if you look above last week we had a spell of 40s and 50s, we lost all but 8 inches of snow and these daffodils started growing on the side of the house, Now THIS week It's snowed 8 inches and it's still snowing with no warmth in sight. night lows will be in the single digits tonight. Ah Spring is coming! lol

• ladychroe
    13 years ago

It will be here soon! Hang in there!