Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katdurkin

bench

katdurkin
11 years ago
Hi,

Where did you purchase the bath bench or did you build it, and if so, what materials? How was the bench attached to the wall?
Northbrook House · More Info

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Wheeler Kearns Architects
    11 years ago
    It was built
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Floating benches are becoming more and more popular these days and we are being asked to waterproof all sorts of designs. This shower appears to be built with full sheets of slab material and I would assume that the bench slides into relief cuts in these slabs.

When building with this type of material ensure you hire a top stone installation company and fabricator. I'm horrified at how little these installers know about bathroom construction and often find these men using shims kicked in low to adjust the panels.

Any puncture in your showers waterproofing will net you a leaking mess and a shower with a shelf life.

Some of the looks you see here on Houzz are not possible without the help of a skilled metal man and steel tubing. More and more we see these sleek benches and without 2" or 1 1/2" steel tubing stock you could not build a bench that will hold up with such thin profiles.

The bench and the waterproofing below it should all be pitched back to the shower.

This is a great project and one of my favourites!

Nice work.

John Whipple
    By Any Design Ltd.
    http://www.no-curb.com
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    11 years ago
    Here you can see some steel tubing on a project we are building right now in Vancouver. The bench will appear to float off the wall and not touch either side.

This is 2" steel tubing stock. I will need to finish the bench so it can be tiled or clad in stone and the enter support will be waterproofed with Mapei's Aqua Defence - one of my favourite waterproofing systems.

The connection point from the bench to the wall should offer up some flexibility and a product called Mapeband will be used for this.

If designing a shower as a steam shower different materials would be needed and this bench could easily be water and vapour proofed with products from Noble Company (Noble Seal TS and Noble Sealant 150).

The play by play for this bench's construction I will outline on my blog site.

John Whipple
    By Any Design Ltd.
    http://www.no-curb.com
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    11 years ago
    This bench gets tied into the showers waterproofing system.
  • m a
    7 years ago

Hi, where did you purchase your lights?