Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murrays_gw

Warning Scam Alert

murrays
14 years ago

just received an email from a fellow gardener here that i did a trade with . thought i'd pass it along to let everybody know to be on the lookout for it . it's from maryann paradise , GW S/N Maps31 . here's a copy of the email i received from her .

Flag this messageHELP URGENTLYSunday, November 29, 2009 11:09 PMFrom: This sender is DomainKeys verified"Maryann Paradise" View contact detailsTo: undisclosed-recipients

Hope you are doing well on your end.I had travelled to London for a medical checkup, Unfortunately for me,my money was stolen from the hotel that i lodged in and they made away with my wallet (which included my cash, diary and credit cards).

I am so confused right now and i didnt bring my phone here,Please can you send me 950 pounds today,As soon as i get home i would refund it immediately.Write me so i can let you know how to send it to me through western union since i dont have an an account here. Thank you,

"Teach us to delight in simple things,

And mirth that has no bitter springs;

Foregiveness free of evil done,

And love to all men 'neath the sun."

~~rudyard kipling~~

Comments (8)

• PRO
    WildThings Rescue Nursery
    14 years ago

Maryann is an honest, straight-up kind of person. She would never try to scam anyone. In fact, her generousity is above & beyond.

All I can think that might be happening is either she has a virus in her computer stealing her list of contacts and trying to email scam them, or maybe you have a virus?

Just my 2 cents, but I had to step up & vouch for her.

Squrls

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

Viruses can indeed make it so that other people can ripoff a person's email and use it to send spam/scams out.

Also, there are plenty of scammers who ripoff other peoples email addresses and then use a sneaky mail program called 'fakemail' -

Fakemail makes the spammer's mailouts look like they were sent by some other unfortunate person whose e-mail addy was stolen.

These tactics (ripping off email addresses and using Fakemail) are done to protect the spammer from being discovered and held responsible.

• poppy_power
    14 years ago

Maps31 is a honest person here on gardenweb.
    Viruses can steal peoples email addresses.
    It sounds to me her email was stolen through a virus and being used by spammers.
    I wonder,if she is aware of this?
    Murrays,I would email Maryann,and let her know about the email that you received?
    I know she would appreciate being informed,so she could possibly get rid of her email addy and get a new one.
    I receive email with attachments and chain like letters and never open in emails and always make sure my virus on my computer is updated and working.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

This is an example of a good reason why those mass emails being sent to someone's whole address book should never appear for all to see, but instead should be put in the Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) address line.

All those addresses out there, being included in forward, after forward are just asking for trouble by being picked up by some bad source.

That reminds me, I need to contact a few members and tell them to please not ever include me in their mass mailings unless they use the Blind Carbon Copy line and also to please delete all of the previous addresses in the forwards.

here's a copy of the email i received from her .
    You did not receive it from her, but instead received it was from a spammer that has chosen the "from address" to look like her address.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google results on Fake Email

14 years ago

I just checked and see she has her email setting here set to show email address to All, as opposed to just MEMBERS. Her email address has been being shown in all of her posts and is also visible on her Member Page.

A much safer way is to set it to just MEMBERS so it is visible to members in the case of GW email problems, yet the addy is not visible for harvesting by spamming programs.

Sue

• poppy_power
    14 years ago

Good information Sue!
    I always block email addresses,people sending me mass forwarding emails.
    I can't afford to take a chance, my computer getting a virus.

14 years ago

Hi Poppy,

But it is risky for you too, to have your email addy showing for ALL here. I know though that a lot of folks are set up that way. I've often wondered how much spam they might get as a result of it being posted for all to see on a public forum. I'm guessing you have not had any or many problems yet with spam.

Sue

• poppy_power
    14 years ago

I just block email from spammers or people sending mass forwarding emails through my email settings,such as the spam filters to block the emails once,I receive the emails without opening the email.
    Those emails are totally blocked permantly.
    You can have the option to block permantly or sent directly to your spam folder.

Sponsored