Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjw15618

My chicken ate a toad!

mjw15618
18 years ago

Hello! I'm a newbie chicken owner - my girls are 11 weeks old. My buff orp managed to somehow catch a toad last night, and after alot of squabbling with the rest of the group she swallowed it whole! Well, almost whole. It was missing a few legs by that point. Has anyone else ever had that happen? I knew they ate bugs, worms and caterpillars, but I never thought they would consider a toad for dinner. Yuck! LOL!

Comments (18)

• Turtle_Haven_Farm
    18 years ago

Our will kill and eat mice, esp baby mice. I just look the other way and don't think about it too much LOL - Ellen

• Maggie_J
    18 years ago

I once saw one of mine swallow a mouse my cat killed - whole! And (I hated this but it was too late) they killed and ate some baby robins that left their nest too early.

• breezyb
    18 years ago

Chickens will try to eat ANYTHING & EVERYTHING - lol!! They are truly featherd garbage disposals. Which is fine if you're not eating the eggs - lol!!

• velvet_sparrow
    18 years ago

My Barred Rock roo, Jack, made my DH turn pale one day by gobbling down a LARGE lizard one day...*L*

• Anna264
    18 years ago

Okay, I must have the most finicky chickens in the world... they love the dog's food (they'll squabble with my large shepherd to get it), have gotten into the horrible habit of eating their own eggs, and will sometimes eat the juicy fat worms from my compost pile, and other times will turn their beaks up at them! They also won't eat slugs, much to my disappointment, since I get plenty of them in the compost as well. Where did I go wrong? They are Rhode Island Reds, by the way.

• mjw15618
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Whew, I'm relieved! I'm glad to know other chickens do disgusting things. I had a nightmare about Dolores (the toad-eating chicken) eating my husky and my rottweiler - the image of her with that toad dangling from her mouth will forever be etched on my brain! Oh well, I'm a city girl turned country and have alot to learn yet!

• queenb
    18 years ago

I had one just recently grab out one of gold stud earrings and swallow it whole before I knew what happened! My chickens like to pick at my buttons and brads on my jeans, etc., but I'd never had one go for my earrings. My husband told me that I could probably find it again when it rained, but I think the chicken can keep it now! YUK!!

• ninjabut
    17 years ago

I always make sure I crumble the egg shells so they don't get that idea to eat their own eggs!
    The shells are great for calcium and producing nice hard shelled eggs, but, if they have a chance to eat their own eggs you may have trouble.
    Good Luck! Nancy

• GennyM
    17 years ago

Once I was outside and heard a little squeaky sound. I thought it was one of the ducks, but when I looked under the porch, Topaz, my Muscovy Duck had a little frog in her mouth! I tried to get it away from her, but she ran from me and killed it. Then she ate it. I know it was only a frog, but it was still sad. I hated that it died such a horrible death.

Maggie, I bet that was so hard for you when your chickens ate the baby birds! How sad!!

• Roberta_z5
    17 years ago

It always amazes me when I see "vegetarian chickens and eggs" for sale in the grocery store! Maybe they really are if they only get commercial grain but that isn't the natural diet of chickens. Chickens are omnivores and are supposed to eat everything they feel like eating.

Ours are free range and lay those wonderful nutritious eggs with the deep orange yolks!

• acorn
    17 years ago

Chickens are one step behind buzzards

• BelindaM
    17 years ago

arorn I agree! Many toads and lizzards and even their own have been eaten.

• chicken_ingenue
    17 years ago

I have bought mine minnows used for fishing. It was really fun to watch them catch them up and run off with them. L i bought them worms but they weren't too interested in the worms and most of them squirmed off before the hens even noticed them S. I guess all those cartoons about chickens looking for worms is bogus. mine do love fire ants though, which is great for us and they scratch the entire mound down.

I hope this isn't off topic. but i have a questions on how to go about giving my hens oyster shells and i recently bought some sand for them. do I mix them with their regualr feed of just pour some in a pile for them to eat as they will.

CI

• Roberta_z5
    17 years ago

We offer our hens both oyster shell and grit in separate containers. They go through quite a lot of it.

As far as worms go, in the summer when I am digging in the garden the girls are right there looking for worms. They absolutely love them!

• athagan
    17 years ago

If they can tear off pieces small enough to swallow I haven't found much a chicken won't eat if given a chance.

Mice, snakes, lizards, and toads are fine by me. It's their strange compulsion to eat styrofoam that I don't understand.

.....Alan.

• megaelecsonicmam
    8 years ago

My Chicken Ate My Earrings ☹️

my Chicken Who Ate my earrings

• Shane
    2 years ago

We had one die last night from possibly a toad. Found a ripped up one near where we found the chicken "struggling" poor thing was panting hard and I could feel her heart racing. It only took about a hour as she passed. "hopefully" it was the toad and not something that will affect the rest of our flock!!