Software
Houzz Logo Print
stephen_curry

How do I block a lighted sign from the view in my bedroom?

14 years ago
last modified: 14 years ago
I have a dilemma I'm hoping you can help with. For several years I've owned a high-rise condo with a fantastic view. However, one of the buildings nearby has erected an incredibly bright lighted sign. It is twice as bright as the neighboring buildings and has made my view so much less pleasant.

Our homeowners association has reached out to the tenant, and to a city councilman, with no luck. So I'm trying to figure out what I can do on my end.

I've been moving chairs and furniture around my condo, trying to get a curtain or column to block out this particular building.

But the real dilemma is in my bedroom. There is only one position the bed can be in, and the lighted sign is directly in my line of sight. This little jury-rig I have set up (a table lamp atop a chair) blocks the sign almost perfectly - except that if I roll over, the sign appears to the side of the lampshade. The sign is almost exactly the width of this lampshade, and about half the height.

It seems like I need something precisely this high (taller than a table lamp, shorter than a floor lamp) and perhaps a bit wider (so I can roll over) to block one portion of my view, while leaving the rest visible.

Any ideas? One of those big paper floor lamps? (I don't want to block more of the balcony view than I have to, though.) I had thought of a tall plant outside on the balcony, but I am gone for long periods of time and worry that I won't be able to water and take care of it.

Is there some sort of table lamp with a really cool horizontal shade atop an occasional table that would do the trick?

Comments (23)

  • 14 years ago
    Oh, that's no fun to have to deal with. I think I remember a Seinfeld episode where something similar happened, actually. :)

    Are blackout curtains an option for when you are going to bed?

    You might be on the right track with a table and a wide lamp. That's not a bad idea. Maybe something like this?
    Miami-Hall · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    I suppose I could do blackout curtains, but the building beside it is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city and was a real inspiration for buying the place. I'm hoping to keep as much of the good part as I can!

    Thanks for sharing that lamp. It's nice.
  • 14 years ago
    Isn't there some sort of light nuisance ordinance on the books? Can you get on the agenda of a city council meeting? This is kind of a health issue as I imagine it interferes
    with your sleep! Can you show a note from doctor? Trying to think outside the box here.

    How about black out cellular shades that you raise up from the bottom when you go to bed? And for the deck, just look around for a large fake palm (craigs list?). Can't kill those!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    What about a lightweight decorative screen that you can move into place at night, something that folds up and stands off to the side during the day?
  • 14 years ago
    love the idea of a screen sounds great. Easy to move to a corner in the morning.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    How about something on the balcony? This is a decorative garden pagoda 28 inches high, but could be made higher my placing on a black pot or wood block. http://www.amazon.com/Asian-Garden-Pagoda-Sculpture-Statue/dp/B004V09VXW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_5
  • 14 years ago
    Looks perfect for a rolling door/shutter, i.e., barn door. Slide to open or close as much or as little as desired and expand the track on either side of the window so it can be rolled either way fully beyond the window opening. Hang artwork on it and decorate your space at the same time . Good luck http://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary/barn-slider-
  • 14 years ago
    HI - You poor thing, I hear you, our neighbor's security light is pointed right at our bedroom window and it is allways going on/off- on/off . The best idea I see for you is what Cynthia T said . a portable screen that is high enough to block the light but not the view. I think it would look a lot better than the lamp block. Have you given thought about getting your problem on the local news . Company's don't like to be the bad guy on the news, - just an idea !
  • 14 years ago
    Oh this is a terrible thing at night when your already to settle in . We all know in order to have or keep a good nights sleep the room should be very dark. Have you thought of that privacy film to add over the window. it allows you to see out but hard for light or anything to come in. Just a thought would still use some window treatment for blocking light . Love the screen idea as you can take it away during the day
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I'd try to address this from the patio. Depending on your climate for winter... I'd either add a patio rail flower box ( http://www.crateandbarrel.com/zinc-rectangular-rail-planter/s645672 ) or a narrow / long tall standing planter box / stand and plant trailing plants in it! Where the trailing plant block most of the view. . Things like vinca and sweetpotato vine and a bit of mondo grass for a small amount of hight. The vinca and mondo grass are evergreen, and can handle both shade and full sun. Sweetpotato vine is an annual.

    To reduce the weight of the planter.... Place styrofoam in the bottom third to half of the box, then fill the remainder with potting soil upto about 3" from the top.

    I also like Cynthia's idea of the light weight movable screen.
  • 14 years ago
    So here's an interim solution, that depending on how I like it, might become a permanent one. I picked up these two simple paper lamps ($9.99) at IKEA and am going to try "clipping them together" to create a horizontal lamp. This blocks the light almost perfectly, though I wouldn't mind it being one smidge wider. It's great proof of concept, and I could always use these lamps elsewhere if it doesn't work. I'm going to see if some paperclips or wireclips can make this look like a single lamp.
  • 14 years ago
    What I like about a lightweight table or shelf (as opposed to a screen) is getting to see more of my balcony and view.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Noguchi fashioned some rather interesting lamps for both floor and table. The one I am attaching is a freeform that can be positioned at many different angles to block out that sign. These are easily found on line. If you want to see one in person, I know our local Room and Board store has them.
    Cedar Lake International Style · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Interesting. I'll take a look!
  • 14 years ago
    To Lefty47, Have you and your husband thought of taking some very intense flash lights and doing the on/off thing to your neighbor? Can't if bedroom behind fence, but could do it to them while they are in the living room/eating dinner?

    We had a neighbor whose dogs would bark and keep us wake at night. Told them about it to no avail. Then one night at 3am we called them, and very nicely told them that they might want to check their dogs. Something must be after them!

    After that, they kept their dogs in the garage at night.
  • 14 years ago
    HI -- Our light problem got solved by the other neighbor building a garden shed that now blocks the on/off light and I should thank him because he didn't even know it . But he still has the problem for himself but then he has two big dogs. CARMA - Love it ! City Living is great isn't it ?
  • 14 years ago
    Raised in the city, but then hubby moved me to the sticks. Now I have to watch for rattle snakes.
  • 14 years ago
    pcmom omg we watch for snakes too and gators love the place were at though. I think that lamp and table is nice but still wont solve the problem when their in bed and blinds apparently aren't right blinds to allow that much light to come in. Before we built this house 4 months ago we lived in a high rise condo 8 floors up so we got some light coming in from the city so we had plantation shutters put in the 2 windows and no light got through those at all. We got the wide one this way if we wanted more light we opened them up either with the wide slats we had to opened up the blind on each side leaving it look like shutters inside. Those truly were the best light darkeners. I only agreed with Cynthia with the light weight screen as they can be moved easily to a corner when they want the view at desired times.
    PC MOM watch out for those snakes I worry about the little pygmy rattle snakes here in Fl scares me to death as they are small and my dogs are small
  • 14 years ago
    pc mom GOOD CALL lol on the 3 am calling Did you ever wonder how the people in the house could stand hearing their own dogs bark like that in the 1st place. Nothing worse at night is a barking dog or dogs
  • 14 years ago
    We were both on two acres, but their house/bedrooms were far from where their pooches would be at night, which was right on the fence line with our bedrooms close by. I remember one conversation during a "barking session", went something like, "Let's get a gun and shoot the dogs." "No, not the dogs' fault. Better shoot the neighbors."
  • 14 years ago
    I had a similar issue with an anoying apartment light shining in my bedroom window when I would lay the prone position. In the summer I like fresh air so I crack the window. I tried repositioning furniture - propping up pillows blankets/sheets to block the light. I even planted trees and have wood blinds. One time i was so frustrated that I went down stairs and walked next door and turned out the light that was in the apartment laundry room but the light was was always left on every night. The solution I found was to sleep at the foot of the bed. I still got fresh air but no light in my eyes. The trees I planted also have filled out over the past 7 years. There are also shades that lift from the top or bottom that might solve the problem.
  • 14 years ago
    Living in a 8th floor southeast corner condo before. Our rules were nothing was to be hung on balconys . Would have been wonderful to have been able to put some flowers there or grass's but was not allowed . So opted for small potted trees and its really nice if those pots were placed in one of those plant platforms with wheels this way the plant could be moved easier . But then again depend on your sun and the plant or tree if they can handle the sun or the wind. I had a friend who had a large glass table on her balcony and the wind picked up the entire table dropping it to the street below. UNREAL what the wind can do...Thankfully no person was down here or parked car.
Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner