Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmcnickle

totem lady transformed

lmcnickle
14 years ago

I just had to show you all how finding the right topper can transform a piece! My "before" pic showed a rather serious totem in the making but once I added the scrolly leaf topper I all of sudden saw a lady with a fancy hat! I added half marbles to cover the metal base and tie it in with the blue plate and I might add some more to her "skirt" just to make her outfit complete!

{{gwi:148742}}

{{gwi:148744}}

Comments (22)

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Wow! What a transformation with 1 pc!!! (and added bling)...I think she looks "perfect," as is! Very cute! Jeanne S. (also Iowa zone 4)

• msmitoagain
    14 years ago

Wow is right! I love it.

Cute, cute, cute.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

• akup_a
    14 years ago

I love your lady! Her hat is just perfect. She's top notch in my book. Can she come have akup_a tea with me?
    Vickie

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

STUNNINGLY IMAGINATIVE AND BEAUTIFUL.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Great transformation demo. Are you going to keep the same base as in the first piece?
    kathy

• proudmary56
    14 years ago

WoW! That is BEAUTIFUL!

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

WOW!! I LOVE your garden lady...such vibrant colors and her hat topper is just wonderful!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

How did you get her topper to stay on her hat.? She adorable. TFS.

• gisele57
    14 years ago

She is gorgeous!! I just love her.. I wouldn't change a thing on her. You have an artist's eye. :o)

• biddlebeach
    14 years ago

That is great! way to go!

• lmcnickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all very much for your compliments, it is my very first totem that I've actually glued together. It takes commitment to glue one and I have several that I've stacked but are not positive I like.

Kathy, I wasn't sure about the base...too much or not? It's such a neat old lamp base and it looks really good with cobalt blue as well!

sorie6, the "feathers" on her hat already had a base that they were attached to so I just glued it on top of the blue plate.

This forum has turned me into a complete "junkie!" Yes, I'm totally addicted! My husband thinks I've gone off the deep end adding a card table to the livingroom to display all my glass treasures! Lisa

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Big change from a rather "stern looking garden lady" to a fun & whimsical one!! Nice work!! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

You certainly found the perfect topper. I just love it!

• laurastheme
    14 years ago

I LOVE HER! What did you use to glue the metal to glass? I have trouble with the GEII silicone bonding to metal.

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

WOW, those are some unique pieces you put together. She is one interesting gal and definitely needs in our inspiration album. You have quite the eye for creating!

hugs, Karen

• lmcnickle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I used a combination of adhesives..GE II to glue the glass pcs to the iron candle holder and liquid nails clear interior/exterior to glue the marbles to the metal scrolly base and the base to the plate. We'll see which holds up the best although I'm a little hesitant to put her out in the harsh elements! I'm not sure how long to let her cure before exposing her? I've also decided she needs a name...maybe Gertie or Tillie or Rose? I'm so excited, I'm going to be in the inspiration album!!

• jlily
    14 years ago

Congratulations for designing such a refined and beautiful totem lady. She is a real winner. Jlily

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Hmmmm, Gertie sounds like a dance hall girl and then there's Miss Tillie who's a bit proper....so which kind of gal do you suppose she is?
    LOL
    hugs, Karen

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

You Totem builders never cease to amaze me with new and creative ideas on them That is fun,kinda reminds me of a dr seuss lady with the squilggly thing on top,love it

• janniegrannie
    14 years ago

This is so cute....just shows that sometimes a girl can improve one's self....

• socalliegal
    14 years ago

I like the name Tillie for her....I love her plume of feathers so to speak for her hat...she's so cute...I wonder if you could find almost the same metalic leaves flowing to make a scarf about her neck, to keep the interest factor going.

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

You know what they say that the difference between women and animals is our ability to accessorize!