Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

My Plant Markers

lindasewandsew
15 years ago

I made these two plant markers from license plate letters, pieces of old fence boards and pieces of pipe. The sunflower one is tall because the plants are tall. It will go to DS tomorrow. Linda

{{gwi:158915}}

{{gwi:153351}}

Comments (30)

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Now how cool is that! Not only a super idea, but so colorful and fun!!!!

hugs, Karen

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

Wow ! ! ! Ms Linda ~~~ Those are just 2 cool 4 school ! ! !
    I adore them... You could sell them....
    They are PERFECT ! ! ! ! ! and like your birdhouses...
    they are just fantastic !!!!!
    Thanks for the pics !!! & the great Ideas !!!!
    I 'm glad to hear you are ok from the wild fires also !!!
    TAKE CARE !
    God Bless !
    SusieSunshine

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Just AWESOME! I love them as I love your birdhouses!
    Very, very good! Lucky DS...thanks for sharing! Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Very fun and creative! You had quite a collection of license plates.
    kathy

• lacensuch
    15 years ago

I am a long time reader, but I haven't posted in such a long time. It is so much fun to see how creative everyone is. I absolutely LOVE these! What a wonderful idea.

Thanks for sharing!
    ml

• ellens_joy
    15 years ago

Linda, I guess your plant markers are my favorite garden junk for the year!!! Wow, wow and more wow's !! I love them and have to have some in my gardens. Now for the hunt!Thanks for sharing them with us. Ellen

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much. They're very easy to make. I cut the plates with tin snips, or a jigsaw with a metal blade, or score them and bend them back and forth in a vice till they break. This picture shows the back. The grain of the boards on back runs up and down, so the front board won't break. They also serve to stop the screws from blowing through a single board. Don't forget to drill pilot holes for the screws. The boards will probably crack if you don't.

I found a guy who sells license plates in Ohio. He's my 'license plate guy for life', lol. His prices are great and he has anything anyone might need. Email me and I'll share him with you. Linda
    {{gwi:153353}}

• weave1022
    15 years ago

Too Cool!!!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Very cute markers! Very fun! I was wondering where in the heck you got all those license plates from! I was hoping you weren't running around with a screwdriver in parkinglots!

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, Luna, Wish I would have thought of that. DS really likes the sunflower one. His big sunflowers are a little past their prime, but I'll take a photo when the next ones bloom. Linda

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Linda, please see if your guy has a 1947 Alabama license plate. I want one soooo badly. I've seen two on eBay and they went for $50-$60. Jeeez.

hugs, Karen

• cait1
    15 years ago

What a great idea!! I agree with what everyone said - very colorful and a lot of fun! Except I don't understand how sunflowers can be passed their prime in July. Do you plant them out early in Cali?

• akup_a
    15 years ago

These are remarkable! I love signs for the gardens & yours are the cutest!
    Vickie

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again,

Cait, my son has a pretty small yard. The big sunflower I wanted to photograph with the sign is past it's prime. Maybe I'll deadhead it later this week and see if that helps. There's another one that hasn't bloomed yet. DGKs love those giant flowers.

Karen, License plates on Ebay all go for more than my price range. I'll contact my guy and ask him about that one and let you know. Linda

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

These are one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES!!!!! Brilliant!!!

• Bright199
    15 years ago

Thought I responded... but that was at 6:00am ... I also love this one.. Your creations are all soo wonderful and colorful. I need some tin snips. Had some license plates somewhere to use as roofs on birdhouses..............

• genuineimitation
    15 years ago

these are awesome.
    you could have a great business at the farmers markets selling these - especially the sunflower sign.
    the second i find some license plates, i'm going to copy this!! i love them!

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again all,

GI, email me and I'll send you my plate guy's information. He has all the plates you could ever need.

We took some to the nursery today and they will buy them. They even want some funny ones, besides the 'normal' ones. My kind of people, lol. Linda

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

I really love how you use the license plates to create things. Where do you find all your license plates?

• lindasewandsew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Cindee, Email me and I'll send you my plate guy's info. I'm not sure it's appropriate to post it on here, and will give it to anyone who wants it. It's great to not have to hunt for them anymore. Linda

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Just FANTASTIC! You never cease to amaze me with your creativity!!!! When my brother passed away, I found a box of license plates in his garage! Hmmmmmmmm... GREAT IDEA!!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• butterbeanbaby
    15 years ago

These are GREAT! I love em! I would also like the "plate guy's" info. I'd love to do this on my kids' fort.

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Linda, one of the coolest things I have seen here in awhile!!! Very unique, I LOVVVEE THEMMM!I would like the info, too. Have been wanting to make a street sign for my Ms. Beatrice on her bike! They are incredibly awesome! And, I love the way you reinforced them to make them sturdier!! Cool idea, keep crafting, were WATCHING!!!!:>)
    BLESSINGS-SHERRI

{{gwi:158919}}

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

WHoa! Mrs Beatrice is cool!

(((Linda))) you know I love your markers!

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

What a great idea for plant markers! Lets see the squirrels run off with those!! LOL

Ms. Beatrice sure is a cutie!

~Sandy~

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

Those are such a great idea....I started saving old plates for birdhouse roofs,too,lol...inspired by you:) I've had to take them away from my husband a few times when he wanted to throw them away! Well,this is a maybe one day project :)

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

I just saw this post about the license plate guy. I guess I forgot to check back after I posted that post. Hmmm and now he is out of commission for a bit. my email is cindee11461@gmail.com

• sorie6 zone 6b
    15 years ago

Very clever!! Love the signs and Miss Beatrice.

• alvina01
    8 years ago

Hi, daisydal(7)

You've posted very nice markers, It's looking so amazing and funny both. I'll try to create like this for my garden. Even I use my old kitchen tools to create markers for plants. But recently I've nothing to post here like you :(

Looking for something new from your side...!

• nowyousedum
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

lindasewandsew, are you still active on this forum? I love your signs? I'm new to the GJ forum. I thought I'd email you to get your plate guy's contact info, but can't figure out how to do that. I went to your profile and couldn't find it. You are really talented!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio