Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phil_usa

Briggs engine

phil-usa
14 years ago

Ok. I had a problem with the flywheel ring gear. With help from this site, I have replaced the ring gear and flywheel. This is the 2nd time. First time, when I attempted to start the engine, the square key sheared off, I used the old one.

It took me awhile to find a replacement key. I got a square key and cut it in half to fit. All back on and the engine started.

OK, the teeth on the old fiber ring gear broke off so many that the starter cold not engage long enough to start the engine. This occurred back in October 2009. At that time the engine was running fine, no problems.

OK, NOW, the engine will start, new aluminum ring gear works great, but when I release the clutch or push the throttle up to fast the engine shuts down. This is a Craftsman LT4000 with a Briggs 15 HP OHV IC Gold engine with auto trans. Model number 28N707. I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me, as the lawn is starting to grow.

Thanks,

Phil

Well I have the flywheel back on the mower. I had to get a square key from Ace Hardware and cut it in half for the flywheel. Put it all together and engine starts fine, but now another problem. This mower has been parked in my garage since, I think about the middle of October 09. It was running fine when the teeth stripped from the ring gear and it would not turn the engine over enough to start. Now it turns over fine with the new aluminum gear and starts instantly, but when I release the clutch or push the throttle to fast, the engine shuts down. Sounds like it does when you turn the key off, like flooding the engine. Do you have any clues to what my problem is now.

Sincerely,

Phil

Comments (2)