Software
Houzz Logo Print
joerug1

Straw growing! How to kill...

19 years ago

Builder layed straw over seed, which is pretty common. The only problem is that the straw must have had many seeds, because it seems like that is the only thing growing. There is some grass growth, but the majority is the straw. How do I kill the straw without hurting the tall fecue grass?

Comments (23)

  • 19 years ago

    With your lawn mower. Set it on the highest setting and when the grass is about an inch higher than that, start weekly mulch mowing.

  • 19 years ago

    Hmmmmm....strictly speaking there is no such
    thing as a "straw plant" rather its the stems
    and stalks of very mature crops like oats, wheat
    or rye so Im wondering how you're identifying
    this stuff as straw at this point.

  • 19 years ago

    You say potato, I say the guy has a wheat field started in his lawn. Not a big problem though as regular mowing will kill all the tall crop plants that may have sprouted from the straw.

  • 19 years ago

    If its wheat or oats or something like that
    mowing will probably kill it and they're only
    annuals anyway but if its straw from a pasture
    type fescue then mowing may not kill it as that
    stuff gets brush-hogged and cut for hay several
    times a season down on the farm and doesn't
    die off.

  • 19 years ago

    I have mowed this stuff numerous times and it is not dying. This stuff is almost like bamboo...it grows so fast!

  • 19 years ago

    Hey joerugl I probably didn't ask this right way
    the first time around......

    How is the "crop grass" presenting itself
    differently from your seeded turf grass?
    Whats it look like?

  • 10 years ago

    Ever get this resolved? Got the same problem.

  • 10 years ago

    Grass are hay, the stocks of wheat, oats etc. is straw. If some one is selling hay (grass) as straw you need a new reputable vendor for your straw.

    If you were ever around a farm you would use straw as a bedding material for your animals and hay to feed them.

    Pine needles are also considered straw.

  • 10 years ago

    owlnsr I will post a photo tomorrow. Thanks!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    To be clear. This and hundreds like it sprouted up last autumn after laying the straw. There are areas I didn't lay straw, and no such growth occurred. The straw was purchased in compressed bales from Tractor Supply Co. I thought it was an annual plant and the winter would kill it, but it survived the harsh Colorado high planes winter and is now popping up all over this spring. I know it isn't crab grass because it grows tall and long when left alone.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I also have an unwanted grass in the part of the lawn I seeded. Used straw. Here is a couple pics....can you tell me what it is? Thanks! Lucy

  • 10 years ago

    Here is the second pic....thanks

  • 10 years ago

    Not sure what nick has. It doesn't look like any plant that would come from straw around here. Loos, what you have is either wheat or oats that's about to go to seed.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks, Blackdirt_cowboy! So that's from the straw we used, right?

  • 9 years ago

    I have the exactly same problem from the straw I bought from Home Depot. joerug1 - did you find any solution?

  • 9 years ago

    So I did this too on accident.

    Are the only options:

    1) mow a lot and hope the straw stuff dies

    2) poison the entire lawn and start over


    Is mowing the only possible solution to save the existing lawn? There isn't a poison that kills various types of straw without killing normal grass?

  • 8 years ago

    Yeah guys - I just didn't worry about it, and by the next year it all died out completely.


  • 8 years ago

    Awesome, that's what I'll try then

  • 8 years ago

    Yeah, I learned that your lawn is perennial, but the straw in an annual plant, so as long as it is never allowed to seed, which requires it to get very long, it won't last. Some may survive the winter (a little of mine did) but by mid summer there wasn't a single stock left.

  • 4 years ago

    I bought bales of wheat straw from Lowe’s to use as cover for fall seeding a new lawn in 2021. In the Spring

    of 2022, I now have a lawn that is 50% wheat and 50% fescue. True Value sells bales of straw guaranteed to not have seed but each bale is $20. If I had known the wheat would be so prevalent, I would have invested in the bales free of seed. Lesson’s learned. Too many to hand pull 10,000 sq ft of lawn




  • 4 years ago

    I don't know if all straw types are like this, but I just ignored it like Nick recommended, kept the grass mowed weekly, and the straw stuff died and mostly only grass remained the following year.


    I'm not sure I would even go out of the way to get seedless stuff, if I were to do it again. I might just buy the cheap stuff again, but I don't think I had wheat straw, because it didn't look like these pictures. Let us know if it all dies off by next summer

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Oh boy, i just put new topsoil, seed and straw down. i hope i didnt. purchase wheat straw at lowes.

    Living in Virginia, its not that easy getting things to grow. i live close to the rappahannock river. My yard is all rocks. i beleive i built my house on a rock quarry. Last year, I just degraded, seed and water everyday, no straw. it look like, i knew what i was doing. it was growing, green, and thick. It was about 6 weeks later it turned into crabgrass, clovers and brown patches everywhere. 200$ for seed that turned into rabbit food and seafood i couldnt eat.

    lets see what i can muster up this year.

    Enjoyed comments and pictures.

    Good luck-