kapustak8

Onion maggots

coffeehaus

Has anyone dealt successfully with an infestation? I noticed a bloom of flies following cutting my rye and Austrian pea cover crop. My onion transplants began to rot just below the soil surface and when I tugged on the fallen tops I found very small cream-colored maggots in the stems. I tried dusting the ground with diatomaceous earth. Any pearls of wisdom from the panel?

• nandina

Make the furrow in which the onion sets will be planted. Heavily dust the bottom and sides of the furrow with granulated sugar and fresh, uncooked coffee grounds. Do not stir to incorporate into soil. Plant onions. This method works for onions, radishes plus other underground root vegetables prone to root maggots.

• coffeehaus

Thanks nandina. Any logic to the method that you've described?

• nandina

Coffeehaus, I cannot give you a logical answer. Back in the dark ages when my Dad was editor of a well known gardening magazine the sugar/coffee idea was submitted to him by a local farmer. Dad mentioned it to some of his horticultural associates, all of whom gave it a try in their home gardens. Reports back indicated that this off-beat method is effective. I have no idea why. But, from this I developed my experiments using just granulated sugar (or dried molasses) to control root-knot nematodes when I moved south and discovered they were a serious problem here. I have not had to deal with onion maggots in years so cannot say if just sugar/dried molasses would control them without adding the coffee. You might want to trial it both ways.

• coffeehaus

Thanks so much for your response nandina. I'll try it the next time I plant.

Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars105 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource