Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redice_gw

Planting Weeping Cherry Tree

redice
15 years ago

Hey everyone! I just purchased a couple of weeping cherry tree seeds and wanted to know how i could go about planting them. I have absolutely NO experience with gardening but I would like to be able to grow weeping cherry trees. I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Comments (7)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

Weeping cherry - Prunus subhirtella pendula

Most of the weeping cherry you see in landscapes are not seed grown, but grafted plants grown on other rootstock.

If you want to try, the seed requires 2 - 3 months cold stratification (moist chill at approx 40F) To provide that, you can sow about 1/4" - 1/2" deep in pots now and place outdoors, or use your refrigerator. The seed can be slow, sometimes taking 18 months to germinate....you've picked a project that requires some patience for your first seed growing attempt :)

• redice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind response!

I intentionally wanted to start from seed, hoping that years from now I could recollect memories of when I first started to plant the tree.

Do you have any recommendations on what kind of fertilizers I could use (or if miracle grow potting soil is ok to begin with), how often i should water initially, and how big of pot I should use to plant the seed? I'm not even sure where I would like to plant it but for now I'm concerned with just getting the plant to start growing.

Thanks again! :-)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

A weeping cherry grown at ground level has very little weeping room and as was mentioned, needs height to weep. If you intend to keep this in a container permanently you could raise the container to get the height. Al

• Larry Davis
    3 years ago

How to Germinate Weeping Cherry Seeds Home Guides/Garden/Gardening By: Bridget Kelly
    The weeping cherry tree (Prunus subhirtella) also known as the weeping Higan cherry, does best when grown in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 5 through 8b. All Prunus seeds have what is known as embryo-dormancy – dormancy that is not the result of a hard outer seed coat. For this reason, the seed requires a period of cold stratification to break dormancy. Begin the weeping cherry seed germination period at any time of year. It may take up to one year to germinate.
    1 Pour enough warm water into a bowl or bucket to cover the weeping cherry seeds. Drop the seeds into the water and allow them to soak overnight.
    2 Moisten enough peat moss to completely envelope the cherry seeds. Wring the excess water from the peat moss until it holds the moisture content of a damp sponge.
    3 Push the weeping cherry seeds into the peat moss and place the bundle in a plastic bag or box. Seal the bag or box and place it in the refrigerator. Allow the seeds to remain in the refrigerator for three months.
    4 Fill planting pots with sterile seed germination mix, moisten it and allow the excess water to drain completely before planting the weeping cherry seeds. 5 Remove the seed container from the refrigerator and pluck the seeds from the peat moss. Lay one seed on the surface of the soil of each pot. Sprinkle a one-eighth-inch layer of sand over the seed and moisten it by spraying it with water from a misting bottle.
    6 Place a heat mat in an area that receives bright indirect sunlight or 12 inches below grow lights. Set the heat mat’s thermostat to 71 degrees Fahrenheit and set the pots on the mat.
    7 Allow the lights, if using them, to run for 14 hours a day until germination. The weeping cherry tree seeds will germinate within four months to one year.

• Addison in VT z4a
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula' is easy to grow from seed. Soak it for 24hrs. Sow it 1/4" deep in sterile seedling mix (I've also used Black Gold soil). Refrigerate for 3 months. Germinate under T5 lamps--mine are about 27" away. I'd bet a window sill would work: Prunus, left long enough, will grow in the dark, in the fridge in ziplock bags. I just forget about the bags, which is why I don't use the space efficient method described by Larry. Once they are long and white in refrigerated ziplock bags, it is hard to accustom them to light (in my experience).

• amdiazbolton1
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

to Addison in VT z4a and/or anyone reading this message.

On the of chance I looked up growing a weeping cherry tree from seed, and read your comment of 3 years ago. How is you tree doing. I'd like to try but am having a difficult time finding seeds to buy. Would you happen to know and recommend businesses that sell tree seeds. I hope you see my message. Thank you so much. Anita