braveheartfcf

Rion or HFGH?

braveheartfcf

I am going to purchase a greenhouse this year, but I am debating which way to go. Of course like all people, at least us common folks, money is quite an issue. I have been following the HFGH readings and I am impressed about the modifications and low cost of the initial unit. Yes, I have read about the couple,and I do mean couple of bad reviews that the unit has gotten, but there is a lot more positive reviews. I have noticed that the unit is now around $700, so it must be getting popular. The way I have it figured is that even at the new price, you could probably have a good GH set up for around $1500. That would include heater, vents, openers, venilation, etc. That wouldn't include the foundation, wireing, plumbing, etc. Now the other unit that is reasonably priced, Ha, is the Rion unit. I haven't found alot of negative about it, except for one really bad post on it being made out of plastic. The plastic is the part that bothers me. I have some plastic resin figurines in the garden area that are starting to look really cra--y after a couple of years and I am thinking that the same thing will happen to the Rion. Most of the post on it are from people who have just set thier up and how pretty it looks, but what about three years down the road.

Also, with either one of these units, is it feasible to do a cinder block wall 32" tall (four blocks) and then set the GH ontop of it. I think that it would look better, and it would protect the panels from flying projectiles set free by the weed eater or lawnmower.

• gardenerwantabe

The 10X12 HFGH is about 10 feet tall it would look odd if it was sitting on a 3 foot wall. The polycarbonate panel will not break from a weed eater they are very strong.
    I have my HFGH sitting on treated 4x4 foundation.
    Below is a link to some photos of the Modifications that I did to mine.
    In the past year it has been through a blizzard an ice storm and 80 mph wind storm with no damage I'm very happy with the results but without the modifications this GH will not survive the first storm.
    I think you estimate for a completed GH is a little low.
    Shelving--grow lights--ventilation fans--thermostats-heaters--shade cloth--thermo-blanket esc. It soon adds up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of HFGH and Modifications

• birdwidow

You could build a 32 inch kneewall, but would need to devise some means of dropping the door frame, because custom door drops are not available with either the Rion or HFGH.

Or, go with a shorter knee wall, say about a foot, and use the space inside for gound insulating and drainage and build it up to the level of the base, then just set a step or a ramp in front of the door.

The easiest means for you to protect the GH base from flying objects tossed from a mower or weed wacker, might be to lay a garden timber frame around the entire perimiter of the GH, set about 2 -3 ft away from it, filled with gravel or decorative stone. 1/4" hardware cloth all around the base and out about 18 - 24" under the gravel, would also prevent critters from burrowing into your GH.

I can't comment on the ability of the Rion frame to hold up in the weater, but doubt the polycarb in Rion frames is the same material as used in resin lawn decorations, which are not much harmed by exposure so much as the cold paint on them fades and leaves them- as you put it, looking pretty cra--y.

• troykd

Great analysis wetfeet!

I looked at Rion vs HFGH and bought the HFGH. I do think the Rion is more attractive. A reinforced HFGH though is hard to beat. One of the factors was the polycarbonate on the Rion doesn't appear to have any insulating factors like the twinwall in the HFGH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building our HFGH 10x12

• bluepine

Has anyone estimated what additional costs were necessary to shore the HFGH up so you can sleep at night?

• gardenerwantabe

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/strucs/2006122146005629.html

• troykd

I have the HFGH cost breakdown at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building our HFGH