Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckylobo

dfw tx area - free horse manure

luckylobo
16 years ago

We live about 6 miles north of Dallas-FW (Texas) airport at the north end of Flower Mound, and have an overabundance of horse manure, including several old manure piles that have been composting for years. My horses are fed Purina mixed grains (Strategy and Equine Senior), grass hay, alfalfa hay, and bedded on wood shavings.

I also have "straight poop" piles in the pasture that I'm happy to give you if you'll help me pick them up (they are dried out and relatively light and odor free).

I also have usually have a very fresh pile near the barn, in addition to the old manure piles that have been composting. Every week or so we remove it to a different part of the property, and it is steaming hot inside.

My husband's niece created a beautiful lawn in a particularly rocky section of Granbury TX using my last big pile (they had almost no topsoil in their yard -- rocks sticking up all over). I'd love to see somebody get some use out of it all.

We have a small tractor and can help load a truck or trailer.

Comments (46)

• west9491
    16 years ago

oh yeah, here's a question:

if manure has been sitting in a barn for a long time, will it compost or help a compost pile cook, or is it already composted?

• luckylobo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not sure whether the pile has to be old or new to compost, I am new at the idea. I can tell you our results though. Our old (more than a year) pile was not steaming any more when my husband's niece took it. Actually the center and bottom was like black dirt, almost like that bagged Black Cow manure you can buy at Home Depot. The new pile, which is what has been taken out of the stalls every day, is SMOKING hot when it gets moved. On the weekend, we move the hot pile with a tractor and when it gets dug into, it smokes. My guess is the new stuff would help your pile compost better since the urine and bacteria are fresh. I don't know much about composting but I think whatever reaction is making the smoke is done by the time the pile is a year old.

My husband's niece took the old pile because it doesn't smell so horsey and she was afraid the fresh stuff would burn what little grass she had. In the end, they spread it about 4" thick and rolled down brand new sod over top. They have the only nice yard in their neighborhood!

I built lots of raised beds at my old house in Houston, where nothing would grow in the gumbo dirt. Seemed like a good idea until I found out how much the soil would be to fill them. Instead of paying for dirt to be delivered, I filled them with garbage cans full of the old manure pile from the place I boarded my horse. I had a fabulous garden there, I could even grow hibiscus and gardenias :)

• liz_h
    15 years ago

I have a friend who might be interested. Could you email me your address? Actually I might be interested too! I'm in Flower Mound also.

• autumnshowers
    15 years ago

This thread was recommended by someone in the compost forum. Email me please so that I can pick up the compost for my rose beds.

Thanks,

AutumnShowers

• lieslmcq
    15 years ago

Me too, me too!

• UTDJA_HOTMAIL_COM
    14 years ago

I am interested in picking up some manure, are you still offering?

• coolbug
    13 years ago

are you still offering? I am interested in the horse manure.

• hesperyang_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Do you still offer it? i live in flower mound too. I am interested to getting some for my vegetable garden. Thanks

• toxcrusadr
    13 years ago

What? There's manure in Texas? How can that be.

• demelone
    13 years ago

I am interested in a trailer load of your older manure. Are you still offering it? Please email a response to demelone@yahoo.com. Thanks.

• jerrytexas
    13 years ago

If still avaible please email contact info.

Thanks,

• jolj
    13 years ago

I like some too.
    Do you deliver to South Carolina?
    Not funny, wish I was closer.

• sumeyko
    13 years ago

Please tell me you still have the free horse manuer? If so please email me at sumeyko.jones@fisglobal.com. Thank you!

• ahmedwilliams99_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

thank you

• beachlover787_hormail_com
    12 years ago

I'm interested in the horse manure, do you still have some available? I bought some mixed manure and frankly (no pun intended) it stinks! Not of very good quality. I would love to get my hands on some of the real stuff.

Thanks

• GreenFireGabe
    12 years ago

I was wondering if you still had any more horse manure. I have all kinds of containers to fill if you have still more manure and can bring you many more to store the manure for you to keep on your property. Could e-mail your address or contact me. My cell number is 972-748-3658. My e-mail address is GabrielLeal@greenfireenvironmental.com
    Thank you

• tramtran08_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Me too! Please let me know if the good stuff is still available.

• sgmoma
    12 years ago

Hi,

I'm interested in the free horse manure for composting. I live in Arlington, TX 76002. Please respond with instructions on how to contact you to make arrangements for pick up. Thanks SGmoma

• beeman_gardener
    12 years ago

Do you deliver?
    I'm not far away, Ontario, Canada!
    Just joking, wish I lived closer.
    On second thoughts, I'm better off where I am, no offense intended.

• hina101
    11 years ago

Hello! I hope you are still offering the compost. Please let us know your location. We are based close by. Thank you.

• ColWins440
    11 years ago

I live nearby in Lewisville and I'm getting my garden ready. Do you have a pickup load available? I'll bring my shovel and fill the back up when you say okay.
    Tony

• bill13286
    11 years ago

Wow..A lot of attention for a five year old post...guess the horse manure would be well on its way to composting..

• patti1
    10 years ago

Hi
    I was wondering if you are still offering the free horse manure. We live in flower mound and are looking for manure for our yard.
    Thank you.
    Patti Pearson

• masso123
    9 years ago

Are you still giving away horse manure?

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Masso, see the link

Craigslist

• Neal Vanderburg
    8 years ago

I could use a couple of trailer loads. Please let me know when and where.

Thanks

Neal

ironwood950@gmail.com

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    8 years ago

Neal, the original poster hasn't been here since 2009. Hit the link in grubby's post just above yours.

tj

• nancyjane_gardener
    8 years ago

Ummmmm, I was going to offer the freecycle site, but I don't think you need it! LOL Nancy

• Kitty Fallon
    7 years ago

Offering horse manure, you haul..McKinney, TX area

• Karen DeYong
    5 years ago

Do you still have free horse manure in McKinney?

• Ryan
    5 years ago

Hi Kitty,

do you still have horse manure?

does anyone else know of a place in/around Mckinne/frisco where we can get/buy pure horse/cow/goat etc manure?

• klem1
    5 years ago

Hello Ryan, Here's two suggestions. Go to Plano's website and look for their mulch and compost. One of their facilities is located just off Sam Rayburn between Mc Kinney and Frisco. They will load it for you. For fresh cow manure,there's a feed lot behind the NTMWD landfill on 121 in Melissa. Sic-um

• Ryan
    5 years ago

Thanks a lot Klem1. Do you happen to know the name of the feed lot?

• klem1
    5 years ago

Stoney Point. Take 121 East and turn right on FM 545 beside CVS pharmarcy. Hang with 545 for about 3 miles and you will see it,or smell it for certain. Be nice, offer a gratuity for loading and you'll be fine.

• Ryan
    5 years ago

Thanks a lot again

• PRO
    North Sunnyvale Stables
    4 years ago

I'll have free horse manure available for routine pickup this summer in Sunnyvale, Texas if anyone is interested. If shavings are mixed in, will that be a problem?

• Robin Waguespack
    3 years ago

Are you still offering manure?

• Damodar Dahal
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Looking for horse or cow manure around Keller

• a8179026818
    2 years ago

Horse manure available in Flower Mound. Coastal and grain fed gelding and pony.

• HU-65205041
    2 years ago

Im looking for composted manure how can i get in touch with you to arrange to come pick up a p/u full

• Damodar Dahal
    2 years ago

a8179026818.. how can I contact you and make arrangements to get some?

• Reji Zachariah
    last year

Looking for hourse or cow manure around flowe mound. Please email me your address rpz32002@gmail.com

• HU-414440878
    last month

Hello, do you still offer horse manure, and do you have any aged manure available?

• HU-414440878
    last month

Hello, do you still offer aged horse manure, and do you have any available at the moment?

• PRO
    North Sunnyvale Stables
    last month

How much do you need and what do you consider aged? Is this a regular need? It is mixed with wood shavings, does that present a problem?