jardinerowa

Dummy Greenhouse

jardinerowa

Hey all,

I am in the market for an easy-to-set up greenhouse. It needs to be really easy to set up with it's own foundation. I am totally not handy that way.

Also, while I want something reasonable, I also want it to be more than just a seedstarting place. I'm interested in portable heaters, autovent, and exhaust fans? But I'm totally clueless again and what accessories I need and how they will even be installed in the greenhouse.

I would love to just start out with Flowerhouse or something cheaper while I save up for a better greenhouse such as the one I linked below. It is the only site where it tells you exactly what accessories you need. Could I even add a cooling fan or MH or NA light to this?

I would love opinions and ideas of greenhouse ideas with the features mentioned above. Thank you so much!

Zach

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse with suggested accessories listed.

• kudzu9

jardinerowa-
    That's a decent quality greenhouse at a reasonable price. I particularly like the fact that it has a high peak, which is good for tall plants and will make it feel less crowded. I have two concerns. One is that it is only 6' wide: people who get greenhouses often outgrow them quickly, so the best thing to do is buy the biggest one you can afford, even if it means waiting a little longer. Secondly, although this looks like an easy-to-assemble kit, you mention that you have minimal skills, and even this simple of a grrenhouse might be a challenge for you to put up. If you have any friends with basic building skills, it might be best to get some help and treat this as a learning opportunity.

• green_grandma

if you're really looking for a top quality greenhouse that requires a minimum of 'skills' for proper assembly, the Riga brand offers a solidly engineered kit with base and accessories that goes together the way it is supposed to without 'tweaking'. Unfortunately, they are a bit pricey.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/products.asp?dept=1138

I personally wound up going with a Rion because it offered the absolute best bang for the buck in terms of square footage vs $$$. However, I am STILL 'tweaking' on it to get doors to seal, to get roof leaks to stop etc. The Rion is thus a 'three season' greenhouse at best, due to its limited insulation and sealing properties. In retrospect, I would probably have been better off kicking in an extra 15% for a similar sized Riga.

• agardenstateof_mind

I agree with Kudzu on the size. A relative newcomer to greenhouse gardening, I have a 6x8 Harbor Freight GH, and for the money am very happy with it, but if I were going to invest around $2,000, I'd definitely be looking for something wider than 6 feet. I'd also want at least 6mm twinwall (I already have 4mm and augment in winter with a solar pool cover) or even triplewall polycarbonate (but I'm in USDA zone 7, which can get into the teens in winter - don't know how your winters are). The one you've linked sure is nice-looking, though.

You don't mention what size Flowerhouse you're considering, but for the same money you might be able to get a little HFGH (the little one - $249 - doesn't require the structural improvements the larger one does), which will have somewhat more stable temps with its twinwall polycarbonate and, more importantly, will give you a very good idea of the feel of a 6-foot-wide greenhouse. (Truthfully, although the first winter wasn't bad, each successive year got more cramped until this year, my third winter, there wasn't even room for my chair, which I thought I'd never give up ... that's the way it is). It really isn't so awful to assemble, if you check out the photos some have been kind enough to post, and just take it a step at a time, using common sense. My adult son and I built ours in one day: started around 10am and had it wrapped up by 4pm.

You will need a fan to keep air circulating 24/7, most likely an autovent and exhaust fan, too. Don't forget a thermometer/hygrometer. For a small GH, a heater is not a big deal, but any and all electric MUST be on a GFI circuit. A water line into the GH makes life so much easier. Do you plan on growing things that would need supplemental lighting? If so, leave room overhead and in the budget. A misting system can be very helpful in some cases.

Unless you're going with a solid floor, I strongly recommend a barrier of hardware cloth buried around the perimeter to exclude furry critters that may wish to overwinter in there along with your plants.

The Greenhouse Gardener's Companion is a rather comprehensive and helpful book for the beginner, and you'll probably find a copy in your local library. And, of course, the folks in this forum are a wealth of information, too.

It sounds like a lot to digest, but the low cost of the GH I bought allowed me to jump in and enjoy it while I learned, and I have enjoyed it tremendously ... I wish you the same.

• greenhouser

I have a 8X16' Rion and stuffed foam where all the airleaks are. The worst were at the roof joints and where the roof meets the walls. Then I used a silicone to keep the foam in place. A messy aggravating job to be sure. Then I used bubble wrap on all but the south facing wall. I had no problems heating it through a zone 6 winter.

Sponsored Story
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Pro Spotlight: Give Your Traditional Home a Modern Perspective