Software
Houzz Logo Print
dmgiblin

Can someone explain what "antiquing finish applied" means on the granite?

14 years ago
I am very new to the granite world, out of every kitchen I've seen on Houzz these countertops are my absolute favorite! I looked at absolute black counters yesterday at the importer and liked but whatever is done here has me head over heels. any explaination or pointing to where I can get more info would be so appreciated. Thank you.
Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Comments (5)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    There are different ways to achieve finishes on stone countertops. The technique shown is an "impact finishing technique"
    A strong external force is applied to the stone surface in order to alter and enhance the original surface roughness. Because they produce surface unevenness, these finishes are usually not slippery, but they do get dirty easily.

    Achieving Antique Finish:
    Special machinery that looks like industrial washing machines is used to obtain an antique finish. The pieces to be treated are put in the machine with abrasive elements and the cylinder revolves. In a short time the impact of the stone with the abrasives produces an effect similar to aging caused by use and wear. The impact method is not suitable for large pieces, for which brushing or acid washing is the method of choice.
  • 14 years ago
    Went back to the fabricator today and he had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about applying an antique finish. Should I go back to the wholesaler/granite yard and speak with them about it?
  • 14 years ago
    Donna, I'm so shocked...maybe your regional area calls it something else...I'm not sure why they didn't recognize this finish.
  • 14 years ago
    I'd try "honed" granite. They might recognize that term. If not, just explain or bring a picture;)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Donna ,

    I would ask them to show you a sample of Nero Assoluto sandblasted with a color enhancer sealer on it .