Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Hedge trimmer choices and seeking advice

baymee
18 years ago

Trying to choose between an Echo or Stihl gas hedge trimmer versus a Little Wonder electric.

The gas models are 10 lbs and the electric are 5 lbs. A gas model would be nice but would it be too heavy and cumbersome for a woman to handle?

Any preferences on any of the three brands?

Thanks

Comments (15)

• adkinsca
    18 years ago

I believe the gas models might be a bit much to handle for more than a few minutes.

I have a homelite gas hedge trimmer that is noticably lighter than the Stihl or Echo. The Homelite is no longer made, but can be found occasionally used (i.e. on ebay). These trimmers have been perfectly adequate for my home use, though they are not built to the quality of either the Stihl or Echo that you mentioned. I would guess the weight is around 8 lbs for this type trimmer. They are the lightest gas trimmers I have ever seen. For reference a photo is shown in the link. This same engine can be found in different models with 16, 17, 21, and 22 inch cutting blades.

The electric would definitely be easier to handle weight-wise, but obviously you have to deal with the electric cord. If using extension cords is an option for the property you are attempting to maintain, I feel that would be your most satisfying option. The gas trimmers that I use do tire my arms after several minutes of use.

I have never used the Little Wonder electrics, but have read positive reviews of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:302987}}

• baymee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the input. I was afraid of the weight for my wife's sake.

A friend of mine who is a dealer in Little Wonder says they are still made the same old good-quality way and he has some come in from the '50's that still work.

I'll take a look at them.

Hopefully somebody else here has one.

• akachrisinmass
    18 years ago

If you are looking at Stihl, look at Tanaka as well. I'd never heard of the brand until I came here. Its possibly my favorite tool to use, nice engine, easy start every time, very well weighted which improves its handling no end.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tanaka trimmers

• baymee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The Tanaka's are nice trimmers, but the bride can't handle the 10 pounds. I'm checking out the Little Wonder models.

• bambooo
    18 years ago

Go for a little wonder it will last you a lifetime with reasonable care.

• paulk
    18 years ago

My wife occasionally uses our Echo gas trimmer with no problems. She is in her 40's, and petite. The trimmer
    is very easy to use.

• cranheim
    18 years ago

I have used a Little Wonder hedge trimmer for many years. It is one of the best investments I ever made. I have a very large hedge, and burned up a few B&D inexpensive clippers. My problems ended with the Little Wonder. They cost more, but are worth it. Just be careful using it. It will nip off a finger without even making any noise.

Charles Ranheim

• baymee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I feel pretty safe buying a Little Wonder after hearing the good reports about it. Besides the weight of a gas model, the bride doesn't want to smell fumes either and I'd rather keep peace around the house.

• canguy
    18 years ago

Probably a good idea. The others are right, the Little Wonder costs as much as a Stihl or Echo here but are virtually bulletproof.

• baymee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bought a Little Wonder today and waiting to try it out. Thanks for the tip.

• tahclep
    18 years ago

Tanaka hands down, best there is !

• joeeast
    18 years ago

I am a Stihl and Shindawia Dealer
    Cant go wrong there!!!

704 843 3054 ext1

• baymee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We settled on the Little Wonder, thanks to all the good advice I got here.

• denio_jct
    17 years ago

My Trimmer finally gave up, and I have been reading all the post here. Thought seriously about the Little Wonder, but decided on a Makita until I found the Matebo.. Has anyone heard of... seen one...or used one before. I know they are new to the scene and Matebo makes good power tools..

I have one on order, so maybe I will not like the answers...

Jim

• minnetonkaal
    15 years ago

I've recently inherited a Homelite (hx16, w/17" blade)gas hedge trimmer and am not sure about the gas to oil mixture. Do you have any information about the gas mixture?