Software
Houzz Logo Print
deike7125

Help! My wall needs some work...

14 years ago
I'm going nuts and practically in tears trying to find some things to decorate my very large and awkward wall. I've become a "return" master because nothing is working! Any thoughts on where to find something, and what to put on the wall would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (26)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Try Uttermost. www.uttermost.com. They have plenty of larger scaled/sized items and are not too pricey. You will have to find a dealer in your area, but there are plenty of online resources for their products as well.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Paint the white drywall an accent colour and then hang a big picture or any bigscale art. I agree on removing the clock and putiing an arrangement of glass vases on the ledge, mix colours or shapes and sizes to add originality.
  • 14 years ago
    Contemporary Fireplace · More Info

    Try and create a union of the entire wall.
  • 14 years ago
    It looks like you have a ledge along the top of the alcove and I would try to find a large piece of driftwood or something similar for that area. Then I would use the ledge to place a tall vase of flowers or grasses. I'm not sure what the large square on the right is but if it is just a wall I would frame some photos like three large prints placed vertically. The photos would be at least 12" inside a larger frame. The frames would be black or another color but all the same.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I assist many clients like you who are frustrated. They want a fabulous interior and they don't know how to get there. The great thing about your area is that it is interesting and you have great opportunities to make it great. First off...find a large piece of inexpensive art that you really enjoy looking at to place on that large area. See Painted With Oil Website for examples. I have contacts to others also. Once th art is selected I would choose paint colors to make that wall area even more unique. Stone and glass tile could be combined also. Then you need large accessories that suit your taste in the upper niche. See my website for ideas on large accessories. I can assist on consultation basis if need. Projects like yours are great fun. Www.Ellisdesigngroupllc.com
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I would add a large blown glass platter on the large white space....glass blown vases of various sizes where the clock is. here's an idea w/the picture link: [houzz=
    Debbie · More Info
    ]
    These are sold from the artist's yard...$220.00 vs galley prices of $900 up. He also sells his own wall hanger thingy ($25--worth it!)
    Want more info on these? Just ask me. He does have some new ones displayed--way cool limey greens and some burgandys. I'll take pics on Wednesday.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Is blue your accent color? I think I see brick on the walls on either side of the shelf inset area? i think wallpaper (perhaps of your shade of blue, with a small white design) down the back of the inset from top to bottom with a darker blue on the sides and tops of the shelves would look great. Another design would be a large blue/white plaid. Then you could put baskets, glass or ceramic objects, books, etc. on the shelves.
  • 14 years ago
    I love michigammemom's idea of a sculpture on the wall, so as not to have a framed artwork competing with the television. Alternately, you could hang a beautiful small tribal or oriental rug, weaving or tapestry in that space.
  • 14 years ago
    Some rugs and other wall hangings:
    Antique Wall Hanging from Sumba Indonesia · More Info

    Eclectic Entry · More Info

    Scenic Drive Project · More Info

    J. Hirsch Interior Design Portfolio · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    I found pictures to illustrate the suggestions I made above; you may view them in an idea book on my Houzz: 8xgranny's Houzz. Hope you find something to help.
  • 14 years ago
    I think I would paint it that same gray, and then I would get about five photos that I liked in different sizes, and have them put in black frames with a white mat, and hang them asymmetrically.
    I would also move the tv. I would find a more modern clock and put it where the tv is now. I would place some kind of small, modern sculpture on the shelf where the clock was, and colorful bottles and vases on the top shelf.
  • 14 years ago
    Thank You all SO much! I feel much more inspired :) I'm loving the idea of tapestry, rug or wall hanging--wondering where to puchase them? Also love the idea of texture either with tile, wallpaper etc. however all of my wall corners are curved, not sure how wall paper would work with that.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Hi deike7125,
    Since I'm the one who suggested rugs and wall hangings as a possibility, let me tell you where I've gotten some of mine and make a few suggestions where to start, though others may have ideas too.
    1. Antique stores. I have a couple of beautiful small antique rugs and weavings/tapestries that I've gotten at antique stores and antique fairs over the years and use either hanging on walls or draping over sofas and tables. So that is one place to look. But that is a pretty haphazard way of shopping (though I found a beautiful old scrap of kilim rug at an antique store just last week--very cheap since it was a just a piece of a larger rug--that would have been perfect for a wall hanging, so they are fairly easy to find).
    2. Good quality oriental rug stores (i.e. the kind that carry both used/antique rugs and one of a kind handmade rugs). The benefit of a really good rug store is that most of them will let you take multiple rugs home to try them out on floors or walls before committing to buying them. At a store like this I'd suggest asking about very small kilim or other flat weave rugs, both new and antique, and in both good and bad condition (for a small wall hanging you can always use a scrap of an older rug finished at the rough edges).
    3. Etsy. On Etsy you can look for artists who do original hand weavings and wall hangings in sizes that would be good for your wall. There are lots, so just go to Etsy and type in wall hangings. Etsy has vintage pieces as well.
    4. Import stores for ethnic artwork like Ten Thousand Villages and (less likely) Pier One or World Market.
    5. Fabric stores that carry interesting, heavy duty upholstery fabrics. If you can't find a beautiful old rug or handwoven artwork or ethnic tapestry, then you might just look for a beautiful piece of woven fabric and have the edges finished to hang.
    Anyway, that's where I'd start looking if you go in this direction. Best of luck!
  • 14 years ago
    Had another idea for wall....wanted to get opinions. What about doing a series of frames without pictures? possibly a textured wall paper on wall? how many frames would you do? Any thoughts would be appreciated :) thank you All!
  • 14 years ago
    Frames without photos would work, but you'd probably still need an odd number, though the number would depend more on what sizes you chose to use. Using wall paper as the background would definitely add more visual interest, but you wouldn't want to get a paper with a pattern that causes your frame arrangement to get lost.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    If you're looking for large wall hangings, we have plenty of large hangings that are decorative and easy to hang: http://www.lot26.com/s/Canvas-Wall-Hangings

    As far as framed series go, that is a great idea. Here are a couple of ideas for you to consider:
    http://www.lot26.com/p/Ornate-Picture-Frames-Wall-Stickers
    http://www.lot26.com/p/Parisian-Portraits-Wall-Stickers

    Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    Here's my suggestion for large wall hangings....visit artist's coop galleries and find something one-of a kind. You can find some great watercolors, fabric paintingings etc. pottery to hang. You have fun looking and help local artists as well!
  • 14 years ago
    you could use fabric instead of wallpaper.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    First, paint that wall a bold color. Second, add about a 3" trim piece, evenly spaced all the way up, something like 15" apart. The trim piece should be a contrasting color to the wall. Add books with the covers facing out. This is a modern flavored bookcase. This creates dual purpose for this space, library and lounging. I've attached a picture for a visual, not necessarily color. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
    Modern Estate · More Info
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    This wall is not about accessorizing. First, I have to ask, what is to the left side of this wall and what IS that piece to the right of the TV? There is nothing more disturbing than having something on a wall that is in close proximity to the TV. It's always a distraction. So, this might be a case of creating some art through painted sections. I'm not certain. Would love to know and see more of that area.
  • 14 years ago
    Love the shelf idea from Charmean. I'm wondering if it would look better if wall and shelves were all painted same color as wall?? How many shelves would you do? I could see books on bottom shelf, but vases/wall decor on others. Thoughts??
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Below are four recommended prints. Everything thing on our site is made to measure and can be giclée printed, plexi mounted, printed on canvas as well as matt and metallic paper. You can also choose from a range of sizes and whether or not your want custom framing. Let us know what you think. We're always happy to do the searching for you if you have something else in mind. Enjoy!

    http://bit.ly/Red_Flowers

    http://bit.ly/Daisy_Absract

    http://bit.ly/Reaching_Abstract

    http://bit.ly/Burning_Maple_Leaves
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    feel free to check out this site - http://nazmiyalantiquerugs.com/
  • 14 years ago
    Wall Display · More Info


    Add a few more shelves, including on the big panel, and then accessorize in this manner, using black accents and mirrors.
  • 14 years ago
    What is that large thing sticking out just to the right of the TV? Is that a sliding cover for the TV? I cannot tell.

    However, have you considered mixing some traditional Anthropological pieces with your modern?

    What about a piece of naturalizing chinese wood screen - or a larger Tibetian piece?
    A beaututiful piece of Nepaleze cabinet door - with some variant fading colors in it? This would also add some interest into the room - in an opposite texture and form? A tibetian Prayer wheel of wood? Several heavier pieces hung together in a row would like nice?

    Even some beautiful Native American Pots; a large painting or a textile would be fabulous. Nothing could be more naturalistic than this? A collection of african masks? A collection of native Inuit masks? I think this space needs something earthy and real - to counterbalance the total coolness of this space. Good luck