toronado3800

Nyssa Sylvatica 'Sheri's Cloud'

Just found this one thumbing throuh a nursery catalog. It is a variegated black gum. The website I am providing the link to has the story of its discovery just last decade.

Anyone seen this tree in the fall? Does it have the same great fall color as regular nyssa? Any other info or experience with it?

Here is a link that might be useful: blog about discovery

• greenlarry

I dont really know Nyssa but I find the name gum confusing- I find myself looking for a Eucalyptus.

• brandon7 TN_zone

Reportedly, it has "dazzling scarlet and hot pink, bi-colored fall color" (Broken Arrow Nursery catalog) and "outstanding fall foliage coloration" (multiple sources), but that's all I've read about its fall performance.

The name "blackgum"/"black-gum"/"black gum" is the most commonly used common name for Nyssa sylvatica. Unless we can get the world to use only binomial nomenclature someone is always going to find something wrong with ANY common name. I think most everyone would recognize black gum as Nyssa sylvatica, though.

• krazyrabbit

I just put a Nyssa Sylvatica 'Sheri's Cloud' on order today and it will ship in May from Ohio. Because the variegated variety is so new there has not been much documentation yet, but I hope that it is as outstanding in the garden as the standard blackgum. Can't wait to put it in my front yard as a specimen tree!

The picture that's posted by the ranger that discovered the variety is beautiful

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheri's Cloud next to the standard Nyssa Sylyatica

• echolane

Everything I've read about this tree mentions the uniquely variegated leaves; there is no mention of growth habit or vigor. Can anyone comment on whether this is a typically growing Nyssa sylvantica? Or?

• whaas_5a

I think its too early to know. The one I have is more narrow and much less vigorous than the species and the species isn't what I'd consider a vigorous growing tree.

I just planted both this past April.

• watermanjeff

Hello fellow tree enthusiasts! I'm the guy who found the tree (Nyssa Sylvatica 'Sheri's Cloud'). My graft is healthy but not growing all that vigorously either. I attribute that at least partly to weather conditions but there are lots of black gums on our property (not grafted) that are doing better. I am very anxious to find out if the tree is male or female but haven't heard from anyone that has seen one bloom yet. I've attached a link to a short essay describing the discovery and propagation of the cultivar.

Here is a link that might be useful: A brief story of the tree discovery.

• watermanjeff

Whoops! Just realized I re-posted the link that Toronado3800 started the thread with...my bad. In response to the original question re: fall color, my specimen has very unique coloring which contrasts nicely with the "normal" black gum. Lighter hues with more pink and orange tones. It has also tended to scorch on the edges of the leaves a bit during the "dog days" of summer but I'm hoping that will lessen as the tree gets a deeper taproot and matures. Also, mine doesn't seem to want to "shoot up" and tends to make a lot of side shoots even as I trim them to encourage a leader. I'll post more pics soon.
    Jeff

• whaas_5a

Here is a pic from early May. I'll post a pic of the fall color in the next 30 days. Likely stress but the plant is exhibiting a very bright red on some of the leaves.

{{gwi:325000}}

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis

Jeff, good to meet you. If yours barely burns in full Arkansas sun during a terribly hot summer I bet Whaas is ok up north and probably I am in St Louis most years.

Whaas, i look forward to seeing how yours looks this fall.

• jqpublic

I would love to see the fall color pics!

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis

Ditto!

Whaas, quit watching the world series and post some pics! ! !

• greyandamy

HI everyone, I'm soon to be getting one of these (appearing to be gorgeous) trees from Rarefinds. Question, do you need to "wind protect" yours? I was reading, as usual, the mixed info online about them. Some say yes (many), others say no, they just may grow smaller. Please let me know how yours are sited and how they are doing. Thanks so much!

Amy

• drrich2

"Unless we can get the world to use only binomial nomenclature someone is always going to find something wrong with ANY common name."

Ironically, we don't want the world to do that. Scientific names are based in Latin because it's a dead language not in use by any populations in the world, therefore it's static.

Compare that to the use of the term 'ground hog' in the U.S., which could refer to a marmot or ground squirrel depending on where you're at and who you ask.

If the general public used scientific names, they'd not consistently use scientific precision.

Consider mismarked plants at nurseries & big box stores. They may give a scientific name, but that doesn't mean it's what the plant is.

The above is my opinion, anyway.

Richard.

• ilovemytrees

Whaas, that tree is absolutely adorable! Thank you for posting the pic back when you did. This is the first time that I have seen it.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis

Amy, regular Nyssa seems to be a bit fussy about transplant so make sure you do everything by the book. Plant at the right time, check for moisture regular like.

I have no experience with this cultivar though.

• watermanjeff

I'm re-visiting this thread because I'm still very curious if anyone has seen any indication whether Nyssa Sylvatica 'Sheri's Cloud' is male or female gender...anybody seen flowers or fruit yet?

• plantpainting

Reviving this old thread to see if anyone can comment on the size and growth rate.

I have had one for a few years. It was in a large pot until one year ago. This year it shot up 3'!

• echolane

I’d love to see photos of this unusual tree.

I’m also puzzled as to how the sex of a grafted tree is determined. Anyone know? If it derives from the graft then it should be no problem, it will be the sex of the donor plant. If it derives from the root stock, and if the root stock is grown from seed, then I suppose it would be difficult to determine until the plant floweres.