sawdustsucker

Hardware For HFGH

sawdustsucker

I fould two web sites that had some "Juliana greenhouse" hardware for HFGH. The best site had T-bolts that you insert and twist 90 degrees into the channel aluminum studs.It aso had some hanger clips for hanging plants etc.that looked much more substantial than the Juliana brand. I liked the clip's engineering.The prices were reasonable, but the shipping was a little high: $9.00 for under a pound that could be put in an envelope.

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/other.shtml

Further, I found a site that had polyethylene gridded top material:28"by 48".They were about $9.00, and would be perfect for greenhouse bench tops.You could also clip them together to extend their length.A wood frame is a great choice, but you have to be careful with pressure treated stock in a greenhouse because of the water leeching out cupric chemicals from the pressure treatment. It will poison plants. Cedar is cool, and more friendly! E-mail me if you want the shelf top site.

bulldogbbq@comcast.net Sawdustsucker

• agardenstateof_mind

Thanks for posting that information. Those plant hanger clips looked easy to use, but I opted for the U-clamps shown just below and they've been very useful. I lined up three along three roof ribs and slid a thick bamboo stake into them, creating a hanging bar for the plants that provides flexibility as to placement. Did the same thing on the opposite wall, just above my potting bench, and added S-hooks from which to hang tools and such.

It's always good to have some extra nuts and bolts on hand, as well as extra clips for the pc panels.

• gardenerwantabe

I put the U clamps in my GH but I used a 3/4" EMT tube one on each side. I bought some of the T bolts but they are too short for most things that I wanted to do with them so I started making my own. I use 1/4x1" and grind the head down and radius it you cant tell them from the one that I bought other than they are longer. I even made some three inches long to hold sheets of insulation up

• JamesY40

I would like the website for the polyethylene gridded top material:28"by 48. Thanks, James

• agardenstateof_mind

gardenerwantabe, how did you grind down the heads of the bolts? I wanted to use some longer ones to attach insulation this year, but recoiled at the prospect of having to partially disassemble the greenhouse in order to slide regular bolts into the channels.

I was trying to come up with a way of extending the T-bolts, but haven't come up with anything yet.

Diane

• jimmydo2

I have purchased some off all..
    The Plant Hangers
    The U-clamps
    The Short and the Long T bolts

I have also ground some of my own 1/4x1's I acualy used a Dremel to cut the sides off the head, and then rouded two corners with the dremel (To match the comercial t-bolts

Oh by the way Gardenerwantabe, I have not forgotten about posting pics of the GH, I was just waiting till I think it is complete, but I am begining to think that never happens, I think a GH is a Continual "Work In Progress"

• gardenerwantabe

Diane
    I use a grinder. I have several options available to me a electric bench grinder a cut off wheel or a belt sander all will work but the cut off wheel would be a risk if you got your finger against the wheel OUCH A small grinder works good just takes time. If you use bolts made of aluminum then you want to use a belt sander because the aluminum will build up on the grinding wheel. Another option for hanging plants is go to LOWE'S look in the electrical dept for the clamps that is used for hanging conduit tubing either 1/2" or 3/4" I put some of those up they are made of steel and are much stronger than the plastic U clamps that Charley sells but the plastic will hold a hanging pot without a problem so the added strength is a moot point
    One other thing that I did that the wife likes is I put 50 gallon plastic barrels under the down spouts on the house to catch rain water. I installed a large pond pump in the barrel it is wired to a switch in the GH and a hose runs through the base into the GH and is attached to a wand with a on-off switch she uses this to water the plants. The rain water is much better it is cheaper than buying the city water and faster and easier than carrying it in a bucket.