Software
Houzz Logo Print
roscoeandjones

I need some shade for the kitchen

14 years ago
Our kitchen table sits up against a beautiful picture window with a great view. We love the view but during the summer it's too hot and sunny! I want to outside mount (to the ceiling) a roman shade so that it never restricts our view, but provides shade when needed. The kitchen is red and teal and I have a lot of great fabrics in mind. Issue is the window is 80" wide! Extra wide shades get very expensive and was thinking about going to Etsy, but they say a cord will wear out very quickly on such a large shade. Can I do 2 side by side (no gap) shades to the same effect, outside mounted. I want it to look clean and simple, just a great pop of color. Or find a way to do one, perhaps totally custom, which I am trying to avoid. Thanks!

Comments (21)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    You could always do a stationary valance or cornice box that covers the entire width with a cellular shade or simple roman shade underneath the valance to cover each individial window. You'll get your pop of color and still be able to use less expensive window coverings over each window for functionality!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I would recommend a Hunter Douglas shade. They have many options, styles and colours to suit your decor while cutting the sun and heat in the room and not blocking your view. They are custom cut, beautiful quality and add value to your home without costing a fortune!
  • 14 years ago
    When you don't have room for curtains or want a clean look, I like Plantation blinds (have the look of plantation shutters but pull up completely out of the way).
  • 14 years ago
    I do custom windows...I would do two Romans shades in your fabric. Plantation shutters are very heavy and I do not like the stacked look when they are up.
  • 14 years ago
    You could hang a bamboo blind to your soffit outside the window and lower it when needed. It hangs with simple "J" hooks. That would actually give you the best cooling as the shade would prevent the window from heating up, and the gaps would still give you some view. Otherwise I really love the Budget Blinds my brother recommended to me. They are an inside mount, cellular construction and consist of two parts, a sheer and light blocking. The light blocking provides insulation in heat and cold, the sheer allows light through but provides privacy (which you may not need.) Of course they can also go all the way up so they are like having 3 treatments in one. They are cordless and you pick the fabric. The one in the picture is 4.5 inches when all the way up, it really does not obstruct the view at all.
  • 14 years ago
    You could hang a bamboo blind to your soffit outside the window and lower it when needed. It hangs with simple "J" hooks. That would actually give you the best cooling as the shade would prevent the window from heating up, and the gaps would still give you some view. Otherwise I really love the Budget Blinds my brother recommended to me. They are an inside mount, cellular construction and consist of two parts, a sheer and light blocking. The light blocking provides insulation in heat and cold, the sheer allows light through but provides privacy (which you may not need.) Of course they can also go all the way up so they are like having 3 treatments in one. They are cordless and you pick the fabric. The one in the picture is 4.5 inches when all the way up, it really does not obstruct the view at all.
  • 14 years ago
    If your priority is to preserve your view, perhaps solar shades would work for you. I have been looking at these, and they seem to be somewhat transparent, so you can block sunlight and heat, and still enjoy your view. Also, these are "roller" type so you may be able to use just one over the entire width. A valance, cornice, or drapery would give you the pop of color you are looking for.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Cornice or valance with simple matchstick shade that can be raised and lowered. You gain color and texture. This wall needs some interest. It will actually make the space feel larger. Be sure to mount your valance high enough. If you mount it too low it will throw off all the proportions of the space.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Well, if its the view that is most important and secondly the heat in the summer, then your best option is a pinch pleat custom drapery in a white batiste sheer that you can open in the cooler months, but with them closed you can still see the view. Shutters will alter your view, shades are either up or down and 2 shades are very difficult to keep even, a valance or cornice will break the eye's overall picture view. Sounds old fashion, I know, but it will work. JC Penny offers a custom drapery that is very affordable. Good Luck, Annette Jordan, Interior Designer/Stager
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree with Annette and nellmhd , these two options are a hit . Cheers
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    An Awning wouldn't work because if you look outside the window, you will see a roof overhang on the left.
  • 14 years ago
    If the outside architecture will allow it I would add a "slated" awning - something like a pergola effect. Maybe also use a 50% solar screen. That way you will not block your lovely view.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I had the exact same issue in my own home with a large bay window. I found that solar roman shades (these are Smith & Noble) preserved my view into the back yard and they do a wonderful job of keeping the heat and sun out while letting just enough light in. If you stay with a light fabric that blends with your trim these will look fine as two separate shades. If you want a more cohesive finished look, you could add a valance or a rod across the top with two curtain panels at sides to frame the view.
  • 14 years ago
    Stock solar shades can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot for around $100. They come in either a light cream or dark brown. Easy to turn your kitchen into a mini-Starbucks.
  • 14 years ago
    Studio Marcelo Brito · More Info
    try discount drapery.com
    Don't do one big blind do one for each window
  • 14 years ago
    If you go with solar shades, only do one blind. The have great hardware & very easy to raise & lower.
  • 14 years ago
    I have a similar view....all the windows on my dinning-room face my yard with a pool. I chose not to add any color to my the custom Roman-shades covering my windows....they are almost-white like the the walls. It works great because it does not distract the eye from the view. I personally think that by adding a pop of color to the window treatment you choose, will always distract the eye. As boring as it sounds by keeping the tone-on-tone, it sure achieved my goal (beautiful/classic/clean look, shade when needed, and most important, stunning views). Hope this helps.
  • 14 years ago
    I would not do the solar shade on the inside of the window. As I said earlier, I would put a solar screen on the outside of the window. If you request a 50-60% solar screen (usually custom made to fit) then it will not block any of your view but it will cut the heat and glare substantially. They can be removed and stored for the winter if you would like.
  • 14 years ago
    You could get a quote to replace the glass with low e such as Solarban 60 or 70. I'm in the process of doing my own home right now (54 units of glass). My south facing windows are quite large and the heat conduction has been drastically reduced.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Have you found a solution to your heat gain problem?
Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!