svalli

HFGH in north?

svalli

We just received the HF mailer about the sale on the greenhouses and I started to read a lot of the posts and opinions about the HFGH.

We will be moving to Finland and I do want to continue growing tomatoes and hot peppers and up there greenhouse is really needed for growing such frost tender plants. We are going to buy a house with a small city lot and I do not know how the 10x12 would fit and the 6x8 seems to be quite small. I was thinking about buying two of the 6x8.

Is the 6x8 tall enough for tomatoes?

Is anyone using the 10x12 in snowy area, how does the roof handle snow cover?

I will not be growing anything during the winter since it does not make sense heating a GH.

• oakhill (zone 9A, Calif.)

Considering your new location, it would seem like a much better idea to buy something in Finland after you get there. You are correct that the 6X8 HFGH would be most useful for only starting seedlings. Also, the frame of the HFGH's in general are not made for heavy snow loads. Combining two 6X8's does not alleviate any of the potential problems, and in fact, would only add more. Finally, if you are planning on growing greenhouse tomatoes in the most efficient manner, they need a 10 foot ceiling, while being trained up to an 8 foot wire support.

• svalli

At the moment dollar is so low compared to euro that the HFGH greenhouses are really cheap. In Finland I will have to pay $2,500 USD for a low cost polycarbonate greenhouse which is a bit smaller than the big HFGH.

My DH is quite handy so he could strengthen the frame, if necessary.

• rjinga

the 10x12 HFGH in it's box (and if you can get the metal cage that surrounds it, even better for shipping with you to Finland) weighs about 200 lbs. somewhere on here there are exact measurements (I posted them for someone a while back) for around $500 (when on sale and with the 15% off coupon..btw you can buy the HF 15 and 10% off coupons on ebay!!! for about $5 or less) it might be worthwhile to buy it here, ship it there and then assemble it for use in Finland. Depends on what it would cost adding that size of box to your other items being shipped. seems like you'd be way better off regardless ($500/shipping vs $2,500)

as you probably have already seen, there are MANY posts on how to reinforce the GH...I'm sure those who have done it already will chime in soon...

• svalli

Thanks rjinga,

The weight and size of the box are important to think about. Overseas shipping should not be a problem, since all of our household goods will go into two 40' ocean containers, but we have to get it somehow to our current home first.

We will go Saturday to check the local FH, if they carry the GH in their stock.

• jbest123

You should check the zoning laws for the specific area you will be living. Some of the countries in that area and Europe are very very strict as to what you can build. Some specify the design, materials and expected longevity of the structure.

John

• svalli

John,

I checked the city rules and if the GH fits on the lot so that it is far enough from the neighboring lot, it is OK. There could be problems only, if the neighbors are complaining to city about an ugly structure, but I think there should not be problems with that.