megdagooch

Save your HFGH

megdagooch

I was just checking in and noticed some posts about high winds destroying HFGH's. I wanted to share my experience with you all. We also got that storm with 50-70 MPH winds. In the middle of driving rains I sent my DH out to secure the GH. First I asked him to put on my shade cloth. It is like a mesh tarp that is actually used to cover a dump truck load of dirt. He draped it over the peak of the GH and used bungee's to hook it to the wood frame of the GH. I had him turn the inside lights on so I can see it from the house. Then I had him wrap the entire GH in plastic wrap that they use to wrap pallets. I usually have a panel pop out in a normal storm, and this wrapped GH worked wonderful! A few days later, I went out and cut the plastic off. The roll is kept in the GH for any future wind emergencies. I think you can get the wrap pritty cheap from ULINE, a packing supply store.

• lilies4me

Megdagooch...It all sounds great...you sound like a great couple that care for each other. That's the way it's meant to be.

• blondboy47

That clears it up then...
    DH means, Darling Husband! );)p

• megdagooch

lillies 4me:
    Did my husband put you up to that post. He was reading it and asked me what DH meant. I think at first he thought it was something not so good.
    That day he had just walked in the door from work and we were both looking out the window at the GH, thinking the same thing.
    He did get soaked though. That is O.K, a couple of weeks later he had me pulling chain on a chain fault to get his tractor out of a creek bed, and I slipped in the mud and slid almost under the tractor, that was scary! Oh then there is the time our truck was stuck in snow over our knees and I had to use a hand crank winch and it broke and the cable got me in the back of the legs. I got a ton of stories of all the crazy things we do for each other. Our life is very much an adventure, and we love it, and I love him.

• megdagooch

lillies 4me:

• lilies4me

laughing...guess my first thought was for the poor DH as I imagined going out alone into 70 mph driving rain in the dark...pulling a tarp over the top and wrapping the greenhouse. He has to be a saint and probably deserves a better name than DH...maybe "kind, thoughtful, loving husband."

LOL...I'm nor criticizing...just think he deserves a medal.

• megdagooch

My GH has a wood base that is attached to posts that are concreted into the ground, kind of like a pier foundation. On the wood base I have little hook and eye's screwed into the wood, it is the eye part that is just a little metal circle. Then I put my tarp over the top. I use bungees and hook the bungees to the hook an eye. After I do that I wrap with the plastic wrap, I only go around 3 or 4 times. When I wrap the sides I overlap the tarp ends so the tarp can't fly away. If I have to do it again I will take pic's. I bought extra clips from Charlie's and my roof panels are calked in. I think I will caulk the whole thing, I was up there last night and felt a little breeze. I heard good things about caulking. I might leave the panel opposite the door uncaulked to remove in the summer to get the breeze, we'll see.
    Here is a pic of the GH with the tarp on as a shade cloth. The tarp goes to the ground on the opposite side of this pic. You can see my bungees attached to the wood frame. When it was windy, I pulled the tarp so it was half way down the wall on both sides, then wrapped it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:310287}}

• bwright

I can tell you from experience if you attach any cover to a structure that will be exposed to heavy wind it better be secured to an object that will not be moved. A deck or house comes to mind. We have a 27' above ground pool that has gone through a pool cover ever year we have owned it due to wind damage. I have already posted a question on another thread regarding wind and remedies. We are in the process of planning the construction of our own 10x12 HFGH and I really think a permanent windbreak is going to be needed for me to sleep on a stormy night.

Thoughts?

• jimmydo2

As I sit here in our Howling Wind Storm, worry about my Greenhouse. I think that was why I was woken up at 3 am, so I could worry about my greenhouse in these winds.

So far so good, the winds outside are frightfull, I don't Dare start a Fire that is Delightful, unless I wish my Christmas tree to become ignightful.

Oh where was I... Oh Yeah so far my greenhouse is steady as a Rock, no panels lost and no bending to the frame.

when I installed my panels, I used the self tapping screws, top and bottom, I caulked all the edges of my Panels on the outside (I was not conservative, I used 14 tubes of caulk), and I used double the amount of clips that came with the Kit

My Greenhouse is the HF 10x12 and so far so good.

My COncern about attaching a Tarp to the greenhouse is the same as Kates, that the Tarp would become a Sail, and my Greenhouse would end up down in Nathan's back yard...
    But using a Tarp to secure it to the ground on the other hand, might be good, as long as it is not attached to the Greenhouse.
    Jimmy

• farmwife

Thank you so much for starting this thread.

I have quickly run to my computer to see if any of you have any advise for me as the wind is howling outside!

I've lost all my roof panels and one door has blown off. I plan to leave all alone until this storm is over, but then need to have a plan of attack!

Has anyone tried using silcone for securing the panels? I am worried I will get the whole little GH tied all together and then mine will be the one that sets sail like Dorothy's house in the Wizard of Oz. (I love my little greenhouse and only just got it built.) I plan to use your suggestion and cover the whole structure in plastic wrap in the hopes the wind shoots up and over.

Want to know if anyone has secured their panels with silicone and if this has worked in the face of howling winds?

Thanks in advance to all.

Happy green adventures, Kate

• jimmydo2

OrchidDude, you need to set your TiVo to search for a record episodes of an Old show Called MasterBlasters. (it is one of those building challenge shows, but it is with Model rocket builders challenging other Model rocket builders to Launch various things)

One episode the challenge was to launch a House that was representative of dorothy's (The house was about 12x12x12, so a bit larger than a 6x8 Greenhouse), they had to have the wicked witch ride up with Dorothy (Both life size Dolls), and then have the House release the witch and land on her, with Dorothy staying on the house)

In that episode one of the Houses had some stability issues, and I figure the FLying 8x6 greenhouse would behave similarly ;)

• junkmanme

The Holidays sometimes make me a little "thin-skinned" and feisty, too! Oh Well....Soon it will be time to plant seeds on "seed-starting rack"! That always calms me down........

Happy Holidays!
    Bruce (Junkmanme)

• highjack

Maybe not mean but very rude and a rather bizarre sense of humor.

To all greenhouse owners, wannabe owners, regardless of size, have a Merry Christmas and exceptional growing season.

Brooke

• orchiddude

I am not trying to make you or anyone else feel bad. I think you are reading emotion into the words on this page. That can be easy to do sometime on the internet. If a small greenhouse is what you wanted, great! I am glad you like it. For me, it would not work. There is no hard feeling about it. Yes, I would love to see one of those little houses flying in the air, the best part would be when it landed, smash, crash, it would come down with a bang...LOL....I would have to get my video camera out for that one. It would be cool! As far as getting along with you, I have no idea. I dont know you. On this thread we are not getting along cause you think I am being mean. Which I have no reason to be mean. I just want to see that little greenhouse fly in the air. LOL its really no big deal, gosh!

• megdagooch

My GH has 4 concrete footings with a 2x12 base and the GH is screwed and bolted to the base. I only worry about a panel popping out,once the wind gets in I am in trouble.
    I think Orchid dude likes to aggrivate people, why else would someone say something they know would make someone else feel bad. I don't think he is the type of person I would normally get along with.
    I saved for years to get this GH, so I would be heart broken if it blows away. I wish I could afford something better, but I have alot of things I enjoy doing in life, and they also use up my funds. For now I am glad to have my tiny GH and be able to grow fresh herbs to cook with in the dead if winter.

• orchiddude

I would love to see it flying away in the sky. You know, kinda like Dorothy and the wizard of Oz. It would be cool.

To answer the question above, I started with a 18 x 20 foot GH, planted firmly into the ground, where it would not blow away. My greenhouse felt some hurricane type winds a few years ago when that big one came up from the gulf and crossed Alabama. I believe my banana trees were blowing side ways all day that day. My greenhouse never had a problem. Alot of other stuff flew around. It was a mess.

• chris_in_iowa

I would try really hard to protect my little HFGH if I had one.

It is a little known fact that if you get creative you can grow quite a lot of plants in that small space.

A tiny 6x8 HFGH can produce nearly seven thousand bedding plants for you each spring.

I would hate to see seven thousand plants blowing away.....

• ninjabut

Well, orchiddude, some of us are beginners and are starting with a 6x8 HFGH. $300.00 plus labor is alot of $ to laugh away!
    I know it's a small space, but did you start with a big or small space?
    I'm not the OP, but where I live in No CA, I can get some nasty hurricane type winds! We,ve already had to reinforce some of the panels.
    Give me another GH that costs $300.00 for a beginner, and I will look into it.
    JMHO Nancy

• orchiddude

I can see that Karenrei, its alot of work for those little spaces, and thats ok if you like little spaces. Everyones different and likes different sizes and shapes, and thats ok. It was just an observsation, I am beginning to see these little expensive spaces can be alot of trouble too, but thats ok. I am just observing, and talking out loud to myself.

I wish you would have took some pictures for us. I would have liked to seen that.

Thanks

• Karen Pease

People put a lot of work into little GHs too, you know...

• megdagooch

Orchiddude
    All he did was toss a tarp over the peak and walk around it 3 times with the plastic wrap. It was very quick and easy. If I had to do it once a month I would, it is so easy. It really was not much trouble besides we waited to the last minute and he got soaked. He benefits from what I grow in the greenhouse, so he was as much concerned about the high winds as I was.
    I dont know why I would let it blow away!?! Everything blew off my deck and I tried to protect it also. I don't beleive in letting perfectly good things go to waste just because I can go to town and get another.

• orchiddude

Sounds like to much trouble for a little ole 6x8....LMAO, I am thinking, let it blow, if it needs to go.

• junkmanme

I hope you ASKED him instead of HAD him do it!

Ha-Ha!

Happy Holidays!
    Bruce

• stressbaby

Megdagooch, you must have a fine DH!