Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tesmith_gw

LT155 Carb Problem

tesmith
9 years ago

I am posting this for my 86 year old father.

He is puzzled!

His JD LT155 Kohler Engine runs well most of the time, but on occasion, the carb will stick open.

He has worked on small engines for more than 70 years.

He has had the carb apart cleaning it, replaced parts etc.

This problem still randomly reoccurs. He is puzzled and stuck and looking for thoughts he may not be thinking of. So he asked me to type here and ask for any of your ideas! (And BTW, at 86 he is still very clear of mind, and very active, so this is not a senior moment of forgetting or anything)

Any suggestions for me to pass to him?

Comments (4)

• mownie
    9 years ago

***" but on occasion, the carb will stick open."***
    And when this happens, does the engine race away at very high RPM?
    Does this happen at random times when operating the tractor or does it happen only when the engine is first started?

• tesmith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am sorry I missed your questions, I was away for Mothers Day weekend and just got back

You asked, " when this happens, does the engine race away at very high RPM?
    Does this happen at random times when operating the tractor or does it happen only when the engine is first started?"

It happens at random times.
    Revs start to race and then it floods out and dies

• tesmith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

had a person suggest that perhaps somehow the fuel pump is surging sending sporadic higher flow rates.

I am not sure if this could happen, but if it could, I guess it could explain my symptoms.

Any thoughts?

• tomplum
    9 years ago

The logical solution that I can come up with is that the throttle shaft is worn or possibly the plate is loose on the shaft. These will do either. The wear would be at the top where it turns in carburetor body. I can't visualize a loose control plate causing this but I'd be sure it was tight.

Sponsored