Software
Houzz Logo Print
martina_deluca

Opinions on design (with pics)....

17 years ago

I am trying to make a English courtyard style garden directly in the back of our house. Low garden walls are going up and before I start working on this again tomorrow....I need opinions so I can leave space enough for arbors.

I have many climbers and other vines I need arbors for. I have one arbor in already. My question here is, if I put in 2 more arbors in close vicinity to the one already there....will it be too much? If not, should I get matching arbors since this garden will be more formal?

In this picture, the 2nd arbor will be between the 2 stones on the path in front of the bench. I tried to position them so you could see where the arbor would go between them. I think one here will be OK, right? Matching?

{{gwi:270240}}

In this picture, the arbor will be pretty much right where the three legged arbor is. In the area that is behind the green arbor, I will make a kitchen garden. So this will be an arbor with a gate, or I can just put a wrought iron gate there. The walls will be higher here to accommodate a gate and to keep critters out. This one will be very close to the first one..

{{gwi:270241}}

Thanks for looking. I know a garden can be anything you make it and whatever you like...but this is something that I'm fighting with myself over and I was hoping for opinions from other gardeners. Also, if you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate those as well.

Tina

Comments (16)

  • 17 years ago

    Hi, Tina,
    That is a pretty arbor; I like the wood and metal together. I like the painted brick on your house, too.

    One thing I don't quite understand is where the climbers or vines are going to be planted on the arbor. It looks as if the wall is right up against the arbor. Are you planting on the inside of the arbor? Maybe I am not seeing right, though.

  • 17 years ago

    I can see the beginnings of a wonderful plan here and in my opinion the positioning of the arbors will be fine. The one you already have is beautiful and if the other one could match that would be perfect. However, once everything is covered with climbers the arbors probably won't be all that visible, except for the general shape. I really like the stone you're using and the style of the house lends itself well to your garden scheme. It's going to be exciting to see the finished product and especially after the roses have begun to settle in and grow. Please be sure to continue posting pictures.

    Ingrid

  • 17 years ago

    Yes, put in matching arbors. Formal wants simplicity.

  • 17 years ago

    I do like your arbor.

  • 17 years ago

    You look like you have the materials (site, surroundings, building supplies) to have a very beautiful garden. Good luck!

  • 17 years ago

    I don't think you can have too many arbors. When you start connected them it becomes a rose tunnel. The more arbors, the more climbers!

    Robert

  • 17 years ago

    Tina. Like Robert, I also don't think you can have too many arbors. But they must be matching, or the garden will not be cohesive.
    If you want it to be like an English courtyard garden, you need to make the walls higher to give an enclosed feel to the garden.
    I love the design of your arch. Even if they eventually become covered with roses, they need to look right in the early days.
    Daisy

  • 17 years ago

    duchesse.....you caught me. I was rationalizing planting the rose on the inside because I can't plant it on the outside since the walls are there. I put the arbor against the walls because I don't like it with a space. I suppose I could plant the rose on the back side of the arbor? I was thinking of my New Dawn band climbing on another arbor that is staying flat against the arbor (for now). Will have to see how it goes. The rose I planted is Portlandia. Once the canes get long enough, I'll pull them through to the outside if the arbor and attach them there.

    Thanks Ingrid, Catsrose and Rosefolly. I will put in matching arbors then. That's what I was thinking as well, though I found this steel, twiggy looking arbor that would have looked great leading to the shade garden (which is the side by the bench). Here's the twiggy arbor http://www.gardeners.com/rustic-twig-arbor/ArchesArbors_Cat,38-126,default,cp.html
    Too rustic for the formal setting I've created now. Once this is done, I have another spot though :)

    Thanks Melissa. I'm working on it. Some day my garden will be as beautiful as yours and many of the other gardens I've seen on this site.....I hope.

    Robert, glad to hear you say that. I was starting to think I was trying to cram too much in the space I'm making. I have other arbors throughout the rest of my garden too. I love (LOVE) climbing plants.

    Thanks again for your input.

  • 17 years ago

    Daisy, thanks for the input. I will definitely be using matching arbors based on the responses. I'm just trying to get the feel of a European walled garden. Though I will more than likely make the walls a little higher once I get them all in....I don't want high walls....just a courtyard feel with the stones, arbors and raised beds filled with roses spilling over. I think this will give me what I'm looking for, for now.

    Thanks,
    Tina

  • 17 years ago

    Tina, here's different take. Was just surfing rose gardens and found this one with opposing arbors outside of a circle. Another morsel of food for thought.

    Sherry

    Here is a link that might be useful: Arbors in a garden

  • 17 years ago

    Thanks Sherry, I love the color of the arbors. They are matching as well, so that continues with the responses here. It's a great garden and the arbors and their color are a beautiful focal point.

  • 17 years ago

    I think wall gardening is a one of the most wonderful types of gardening. If your space/budget allows for it, try to make the walls at least 6-7 ft tall. This will create a "secret garden" feel. You may extend the height of the wall with some wrought iron fencing on top of the walls. I've seen this done to great effect.

    Robert

  • 17 years ago

    This is going to sound funny, but is there any way you can get a pic of the area from your roof? I've discovered by accident that viewing my yard from my upstairs deck really helps me in planning.

    Gorgeous arbor too!

  • 17 years ago

    Here is my two penny: Yes to matching arbors. Agree with Robert, never too many. Especially if you are putting them over a path.

    A drawn plan will be easier to see, even if it is drawn just by looking from a high spot.

    About the walls: Do not forget what you enclose also means you exclude the outside. If you have this walled garden in a small area, that would feel too enclosed. 18-24" high sitting walls can enclose without taking away the view yet still give the feeling of being protected.

    But whatever you do, I am sure it will be wonderful. Enjoy it.

  • 17 years ago

    Robert, I so agree with you. I spent part of my childhood in Germany and have a love of castle gardens. My uncle lived in the city of Frankfurt and he rented a plot of land to garden. He had wonderful roses and I learned gardening from him.

    After 10 years of gardening here, I decided it didn't matter that I can't really grow alot of the plants in a true English garden, but I can at least put in stonework to remind me of a walled garden.

    Senko is right about one thing for me here....I don't want to totally wall off my view of the beautiful pasture behind us and the half acre on the side where the kids and dogs play. This area I am working on is directly behind our house. Our kitchen looks out upon it and I would like to look beyond it.

    When I am done, however, it will back up to an area that I would love to put up a high walled "secret garden". It will all flow together with the area I'm working on now. That will be a few years down the line though.

    Teeandcee. I definitely will not be getting on the roof (afraid of heights). It's a great idea though. I've seen some gardens on this site from a balcony view and they look awesome. I actually do have a plan in place. I just wasn't sure about the close proximity of 3 arbors.

    Thanks for the input Senko. I think I will eventually make the walls higher once I get the base blocks in place. It will be alot of soil to bring in if I go much higher which I am dreading.

    Thanks so much for your help. I'm really excited about getting this project done and getting roses planted.

    Tina