Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Oil leak:

rustyj14
10 years ago

I rescued an old Simplicity Broadmoor lawn tractor, the owner dumped it off in my drivewaay, last summer-said do whatever ya want with it-I'm done with it!
So, i got it running, and driving, and mowing, and all was well--or so i thought. Shut it off after some mowing, and oil was running everywhere!
Now, a few years back, i sold the tractor to that guy, but he'd mow on the hottest day of the year, then complain it was heating up! Well---No kidding, sherlock! And, after trying to ventilate the engine compartment, instead of his head--i took drastic measures. I opened up the engine compartment, but he wasn't satisfied, and gave it back to me-no cash exchange!
Checked it today, and top and bottom crank-case seals are leaking, so, off to the mower store and get new seals, and put them in when i get the time! Wife in a care facility, comes home tomorrow--we're running out of money, so will take care of her at home. Social workers help a lot, Meals on Wheels keep us from starving,
Son and Grand-daughter also help a lot. Grand-son doesn't do much. Other son is in Coventry CT., operating a business, so i get the lions share of the work.
Guy's on each side of me want to buy this place, so maybe i can stay here until that last great day!
Cheers: Rusty Jones

Comments (12)

• ericwi
    10 years ago

It sounds like you have your hands full these days. I wish you well, and hope for the best.

• lkbum_gw
    10 years ago

Rusty,
    If you have a banking friend you can trust, look into a reverse mortgage.. They are not for every one and you have to look at them carefully. They can help in a lot of situations though, it sounds like one might help you guys.

• walt2002
    10 years ago

Very sorry to hear about your situation. God Bless.

Walt Conner

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, folks--have to shelve the oil seals job for a while--wife died from COPD, yesterday.
    Sons are helping out, and Grand-daughter, too.
    funeral Friday.
    I'll be back later! Rusty Jones

• rcbe
    10 years ago

Our condolences and prayers, old friend.

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear of your loss Rusty . My prayers are with you Bro ! God Bless .

• tomplum
    10 years ago

It's got to be tough. Don't be a stranger there friend....

• andyma_gw
    10 years ago

My condolences, for your great loss.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all of my friends here, for their condolences. I'm faring better than i thought i'd be able to. Figured out the bill paying, the check writing, how to open cans, how to heat food, and a host of other things that have to be done! Meals on wheels helps some, and the local restaurant does too. Haven't run out of cash yet. Sold a tractor this week, took a simplicity Broadmoor in trade, that works well. Got a C-man coming in for belts-probably next week.
    Went down to garage yesterday, and found a nice walk behind C-man mower, had a bad cable, so i fixed it. Then found a Poulan chain saw sitting beside it, in a nice case! No name, no phone number! A present maybe? Dunno. I can't start chain saws any more, if they are hard to pull the rope. My arms have always looked like knotty sticks. I'm the 90 lb. weakling as shown on the old Charles Atlas weight lifting advertisements. I thought the Army would send me home when they got a look at me in basic training camp. But, they told me to just turn sideways, and i'd be hard to hit!
    But being like i am, pulling lawn mower ropes hasn't helped much, and ya can't start them by coasting down a hill! I have a lot of T-shirts, but i look so awful in them i don't wear them. HTH: RJ

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Hi Rusty , Good to hear from you friend. Yep I leave the Bill Paying and Banking to my Wife these days also . I did it for quite a while but finally felt she was more than capable for this task and when out shopping she enjoys it . Your going to have to get into the home cooking of stews and meat and potatoes pretty basic once you set your mind to it . I hate breakfast duties so normally start with a V-8 and Whole Wheat toast , lots of veggies and a little carbs for energy until lunch . Lunch normally a Salad , Supper is my Meal of Choice lol . Sounds like your keeping quite busy with the Tractor and Mower Repairs . As for the Poulan I don't have much use for them unless their over 30 yrs old . Well you take care and keep busy and get your fill of Healthy Food. Keep up the Forum Posts Bro ! Lots of good Folks Here :)

• lkbum_gw
    10 years ago

Bump. I don't read all posts so I don't know if you've posted lately. Hope you are doing well..

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, i changed the top crank-shaft seal, and thought it was fixed. NOT! Then i found the vacuum line to the fuel pump had pulled off the dip-stick tube, and the leak was from that. Hopefully it is fixed.
    I'm managing to get enough to eat. There is a nice restaurant close by, and the girls there treat me well! I do go shopping for foods. Learned that by watching the wife when she was able to go to grocery store.
    I haave several "semi-adopted Daughters" who check in on me occasionally, and one son who does that too.
    Tomorrow giffs a checkup of the freebie mowers i got today. And, Bluegrassin tomorrow night. Lots to do! RJ

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner