Software
Houzz Logo Print
kathrynmcleod16

suggestions please! bonus room

14 years ago
Still working on this room... It has a lot of oranges, yellows and browns. Any suggestions or advice for this room? Please help!!!!

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Hang the boat picture on the wall, pull the sofa from the corner to give more space to the floor lamp, add a small coffee table or an ottoman and maybe a rug. Light green or turquoise could be nice cold colors to add to your space (pillows, rug, lamp)...I would need more photos to advise more.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks so much! I'll upload a few more pictures.
  • 14 years ago
    Still working on the tv cables
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree with this last comment. You definitely need more contrast from the furniture and the wall color. The space looks quite dark- lighten it up on the sofa- maybe some different smaller accent pieces that aren't dark wood. Everything looks very heavy. Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks so much!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think if you changed the paint color that you could easily keep the color of the bookshelf. I would choose something in the tans ranges, or even taupes. Whatever color your choose I would suggest painting the ceiling white to reflect more light. You would be suprised at how cheap paint is and how big of an impact it has on your area!

    I would suggest dropping your tv down several inches. It seems like you would be looking up at it rather than looking straight at it.

    You should also add some art work to the space. I would suggest some family photos, maybe in black and white or sepia tone. Not a lot, but enough to personalize the space. You could even purchase some inexpensive art work for the walls too. You could also buy a rectangular mirror to help bounce light around the room.

    Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    This is all such great advice! I really appreciate it all. The only issue with repainting and getting new furniture, is that I'm only 16 and I'm re doing this room as a suprise for my mom!
  • 14 years ago
    What a sweet surprise!! Do you have any money to spend? If not that's ok too, I will help you in any way that I can. Let me know either way and I will do what I can to assist you :)
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you! I'm very excited about it. I do have some money, so painting is probably an option! Thank you very much and I will probably ask you for some more advice!
  • 14 years ago
    Paint is a great choice to really change up the room :) You just want to make sure it flows with the rest of the house. It's easy to just say a color would look good but I am not sure about how it would flow with the rest of the house. A few things with paint are if you see it wet, it dries lighter. If you really like a color go one shade lighter because most people chose colors that are too dark in general. Painting it yourself is not hard, just move the furniture etc to the center of the room and cover it with plastic, tape off the trim(or what you are not trying to paint) with blue painters tape, cover up the floors, and get to it. Most paint is water based and will come off/out if you get it on something. Your Mom is going to love her surprise and appreciate all your hard work!!
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you so much! I really do appreciate this. My mom is a huge traveler and most of the house has artifacts and paintings and furniture from completely different countries. And when she originally painted this room, she wanted it to have almost like an African saffari like style to it and since I have a huge passion for interior design, I felt that my mom deserves a nicer looking home, since she's a single mother of four kids! I'm really hoping shell like it
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    why don't you paint the wall where you have the cabinet with that Boat Painting something like this, that will give it visual height as well .
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    For this you will need masking tape and your stripes can be thicker , as this is too many shades .
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Angle the sofa - or pull to center & angle chair - plant under TV is lost but has the aqua tone planter - accent with this color - to liven up a muted palette - 3 pillow groupings great but mix it up - 3 & 1 or 2 & 3 - The lamp against wall might look better behind couch on yellow wall - Have fun & your Mom will love your efforts in her behalf!