Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camidon_gw

Corn Gluten Meal

camidon
18 years ago

Has anyone seen any places around here that are selling Corn Gluten Meal? I've been looking all over for a place that is selling the stuff, but havn't had any luck. It seems that Alabama is usually dead last at getting anything organic. I've looked at all of the local coop's and all of the local garden shops that I could find.

Anyone seen this stuff?

Thanks,

Amidon

Comments (8)

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

How about Harvey's health foods and supplements in Pelham?
    Is masa corn flower not just as healthy?

• camidon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This isn't for human consumption, it is for spreading on the lawn. The Corn Gluten Meal acts as a preemergent herbicide and will not allow weed seeds to germinate. Iowa State University has done extensive research on this, and is currently selling it, but I can't find it in Alabama anywhere. I can mail order it, but the shipping is HIGH.

Thanks,

Amidon

• patricianat
    18 years ago

Do a google search for it, find out who provides it and ask your local feed/seed store to order it for you.

• irisaddict
    18 years ago

Amidon,

You might call:
    Co/Op Ace Hardware
    (615) 274-6211
    1217 N Main St
    Eagleville, TN 37060

They have it as animal food. You should call them and ask them what it is called by CO-OP stores because the stores probably have it and don't know it. This one is more rabbit pellet sized but you get something like a 20-50lb bag for under $10. Also, once a big rain hits it, it will fall apart and spread nicely.

They also have Epson Salts in a huge bag for not too much but again, you have to find the right person who knows what they are since they are labeled differently.

Anyone who lives anywhere near Eagleville should stop in this place at least once. I used to go by it taking the back way from Columbia to Murfreesboro. They really cater to the rose growers.

Hope this helps,
    Evelyn

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

It works, but only for 2-3 weeks, so reapplication will be necessary. Feed stores should have it.

• michelle11
    18 years ago

If you find it, please let me know! I tried calling alot of co-ops and feed stores looking for a molasses based fertilizer, and found nothing.
    Michelle

• sedgehammer
    17 years ago

This link might help. It is a "United States Directory of Horse and Livestock Feed Stores and Dealers indexed by State & City & County"

US Feed Store Directory

I know it helped me locate a feed store near me. Just be sure to call first, as some of the listings may not be up to date. I learned that from experience.

(also wanted to try the HTML code to see if it works ... :-) ....)

• daphne35
    17 years ago

Have you looked at Gardens Alive for this product? They have a product called WOW (a corn syrup by-product) that I have used for several years. I know shipping costs are a problem, but I find it is not too expensive because one only uses it twice annually. Their web address: www.GardensAlive.com.

Good luck

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions