Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corgitrbl

Stock Experiment

corgitrbl
12 years ago

I did an experiment with stock. I placed the wintersow containers in a box (5 McCups). This helps to keep frost directly off the plants. I open the box when there is a nice sunny day and close the box at night.

The experiment was successful - I have 3 out of 5 McCups with seedlings in them. I feel this is a good way to add a measure of protection for these plants. I think tomatoes, et al. might work also.

I feel safer using this method, I think it speeds up germination. The stock was put out about 3 weeks ago.

Comments (4)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

I'm questioning the speeding up germination part. The point is that the seeds decide when to germinate...mother nature tells them to, not us. My seeds don't need a layer of protection other than the tops of the containers.

When the sprouts set their first true set of leaves, that is my cue for plantout. All these times are decided for me by the seeds.

When I plant out, i have hardy seedlings that were born into the weather they are to be planted in. their will, not my will.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

I'm wondering how the seeds get water. Or do you have plastic over the cups so most of it stays inside? If it feels better to you, go for it. Gardening should work for you and help you sleep better at night. I wouldn't have time or pay attention to what the weather is going to do on any particular day, and I'd leave them covered when it was sunny and uncovered in the cold. But, then, I'm a flake!

Martha

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Winter Sowing isn't about getting faster seedlings, it's about getting hardier ones. Accelerating the process won't achieve that. Also, that double enclosure, without a vented ceiling can lead to rapid overheating which will super-warm the soil. That can singe seedling roots preventing them from efficiently taking up water and nutrients. Any seeds that haven't sprouted risk having their nuclei fried in that heat. And, as there is no venting, there is no means for rain or melting snows to seep into the soil and keep it moist, making for extra work.

WS is all about doing it your own way, but with the double continaer you are fostering weak growth, risking overheat, and increasing your own work level with constant water monitoring and/or the daily opening and closing the container.

T

• corgitrbl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The box receives the same amount of water as my other ws plants. The speededup germination may or maynot be true.
    These fancy stock will go in pots as soon as they are large enough end March or beg April so I am not worried about overheating (I don't think). Well, I kind of like my experiment and probably will use it more the case then not. Let you know more. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sponsored