Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agirlsgirl

Another sprout report!! :)

agirlsgirl
16 years ago

These are the latest of my sprouts! This just keeps getting better and better! I did have some boo boo's though, I found a couple radical roots from my Green Hollyhocks, must have been frozen to the point of no return, all that was left was a set of leaves and a fried looking root!:( Doubt it was sun, because it hasn't been that hot yet and they are in part shade, anyone else experience this before, any idea of the cause? I am glad there are a few more in there that are fine!:)

OK so here is what I have sprouting as of yesterday, I checked today and nothing else, just these, seems like it is an every other day occurrence!

Plant name/date sown

Silene,white w/pink eye 1/28

Yellow Prairie Coneflower 2/20

Feverfew,'Rotary' 2/26

Shasta Daisy,unknown 2/26

Verbascum,'Milkshake' 2/26

Mexican Hats 2/24

Foxglove,Cream 1/26

Yarrow,red 1/30

Hollyhock,'Indian Springs',pink 1/30

Hollyhock,'Peaches & Dreams' 1/30

Hollyhock,green 1/30

Knautia,'Burgundy Wine' 2/26

Sea Holly,'Blue Cap' 2/26

Ratiba Columnifera,'03 seed 2/4

Lynchis,'Angel Blush' 2/4

Hollyhock,Maroon 1/30

Hollyhock,white 1/30

Musk Mallow,pink 1/30

Sidalcea,'Rosanna' 2/4

Dianthus,dark purple 1/21

Veronica,unknown 1/30

Gloriosa Daisy 1/28

I hope no one minds I keep posting every time I find sprouts, but I really want to share my results, hopefully this information will make a difference for someone else. I love threads announcing sprouts, not only do they cheer me up, but are and have been very helpful to me!

Tomorrow I will start back up on my annual/veggie containers!:D

Things are moving along a lot faster since I took the advice a few of you gave on using soldering guns to poke holes! Wow! I am flying through those babies!

I also learned 3 pieces of duct tape ARE plenty to tape a jug closed! In the beginning I went all the way around the container, because I was afraid 3 pieces wouldn't hold, somewhere around container 50, I changed my mind!;) I am glad I listened to reason , because after wrestling a few of them open, I will never do that again! You need some real muscle to get that stuff off!

I wish I would have collected more alyssum seed, I only have one aluminum pan with them sown in it, and would have liked at least 3, but that's ok, I will have a better plan next year, not so helter skelter!

I am so impressed with the results already, some of my babies from last week, are growing and looking good! I cant wait to see them as full grown plants! I am hoping there will be more to report in the next couple days!

~Angie :)

Oh and I asked this question before, but I don't think anyone seen it ,or they had no clue to an answer, but how and when do we turn our data into wintersown.org? Is there somewhere on the site I am missing?

Comments (10)

• lillyjane
    16 years ago

LOL I am having the same problem with the tape GRRRRR I got the clear duck tape at Walmart & went all the way around ! hahaha, never do that again ! I have been using a box knife to cut mine open.
    Angie, I am sooo impressed with your record keeping ! I just want to PLANT PLANT PLANT no time for me to write it down LOL
    Jan ")

• zengeos
    16 years ago

Same here Lilly!

Perhaps next year I will take more time to keep records as I'll have November and December to plan and store up for my winter sowing frenzy!

I hope to winter sow at least 100 each year from here on out, but we'll see! This week is supposed to be in the 40's and 50's all week and hardly get below freezing, so I fully expect to start seeing many many more sprouts within the week!

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Agirlsgirl, please keep on posting about your sprouts! I love to hear what others have up. It gives me an idea of when to expect what, and also see what others are growing. You'll find a lot of folks around here like lists, LOL.

Bonnie

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Jan! I just got done looking at pics of your sprouts! Way to go! They look GREAT!!!! I am so glad you are having so much success! :) I am using duct tape,and some brands are better than others,I am finding that out the hard way...lol...of course the tape I used on the first 50 was a REALLY good brand! :O I had to man handle the containers more than I would have liked to getting that tape off!

I am using a loose leaf binder to keep track,all of my seeds inside and outside are kept there. At first I was writing the plant name per container, per section,but found that wasn't such a good idea for me. I switched to numbers and it is going a whole lot better for me. As I sow them I write them down,I am using red paint marker for perennials and green for annuals. Each group starts with #1. I write down the container number,plant name,date sown,than as they sprout I write the sprout date next to the date sown. It is working great for me this way. It is also nice being able to just glance at them and know which is annual or perennial. Next year, I am thinking of marking them with their preferred lighting also.As I find sprouts,I bring the container in,if they are a container I divided into sections in order to sow more than one type,I open them ,check to see which angel it is popping up for me,write it down,mark the outside of the container with a check,outside of the section the babies are in,that way when they go out to the sprout section,I know which section of that particular container already had sprouts,than it is a matter of regularly checking the empty sections.It has been working pretty well this way.
    zengeos,I know what you mean our weather has been goofy too! I am thankful for the 50 degree days,it seems that is when I am getting most of my sprouts,I assume that if it's 50 outside the container, it is much warmer inside it,so the temps are probably perfect for germination. This is so much fun! I cant wait to see how all us newbie ws'ers do things next year,like what we would do again and what we wouldn't! Make sure you let us know what you have sprouting,I would love to see what works for you! :)
    Bonnie,I know what you mean about the lists! I love looking at them,not only to cheer someone on,but the info is so valuable! I seen someone else post the date sown along with what plants they have sprouts from. I loved the idea!
    Well as I am off to check for more sprouts and fill a few containers,thanks for the great responses! :)

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

Sounds pretty good!!!

I know what you mean abt. that tape...I did it once but never again! LOL!

Vera

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Angie, and here I thought it was just my hands were too weak to get that tape off...LMAO !

I love looking at what everyone has sprouts on, and to know that maybe mine will be coming along soon. I also like to see YOUR lists, cause then I know what Ill be begging for seeds on when I come to visit...*blushes, and gives the puppy eyes*

I did get a few more yesterday, but now we are back to RAIN..so I hope they arent all floating !

Im trying to remember if I WS the verbascum..im going to have to look...that is one I really wanted to grow this year. off to dig thru my seeds...

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will be back to post more,but I did want to say if any of you are interested in something I have that has sprouted,send me an email and I will let you know if I have any seed left,and if I do, I would be glad to share!:)

Kym,you never have to beg for anything from me,what is mine is yours! :)

• agirlsgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Vera! I was thinking of you today when one of your Scabiosa sprouted for me! I have a bunch to report tomorrow! Woo-Hoo!

Kym,you can ws Verbascum,I heard it does really well with it! I just had Milkshake sprout on the 29th. I hope your jugs don't float away either,that would be a bummer! Put life jackets on them...lol...

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Now I know you have lost it..put life jackets on my jugs...LMBO !!!

Angie, I looked at my list, and I DID winter sow some verbascum..just some more to do.LOL

Thanks for the whats mine is yours..I was just teasin you about the plants...I am really starting to HOPE that I will be coming your way...I think it would be SO much fun !

I cant wait to hear what sprouts you have tomorrow. Maybe mine will float your way, and you can plant them for me..LOL

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i did mine (milk jugs) with the cut in half way around and i did the hole puncher thingi and i used yarn to tie it shut like you tie your shoe. LOL and i tell ya i love it!! i also can and wish i did it with all of them, but can tie the names of the plant and info into that tie thingi!! LOL geez next year i'll probably forget all about it, but that's what i'll do if i don't forget!! LOL :')) i love reading what ya have!! :')) its been too cold to go out!! and rainy, brrr!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH