Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiced_ham

Big or small shallots for sets

spiced_ham
14 years ago

My store bought shallot sets only put up from one to four new bulbs this year and I was wondering, if like Garlic, I planted the largest bulbs from this year would I get better production next year. Same question for potato onions.

Comments (3)

• korney19
    14 years ago

I think they work in reverse. I plant large potato onions and they get many smaller ones, I plant smaller ones and they get very few, but bigger ones.

Shallots I usually get 3 or 4 from 1. I do have a spot I don't harvest that much and get mounds or big clumps that keep redividing/multiplying.

• chervil2
    14 years ago

One of my gardening mentors had saved her largest shallots for sets for many years. Her shalots were enormous. I do not know the variety. For the past 15 years I have grown shallots from sets from different varieties. I have not been able to increase the size of my shallots over the years and think it may be a variety and/or a soil issue. My shallots are fairly small. However, the sets keep well in my warm house for planting the following year.

• hortster
    14 years ago

Geez. Where to start. I purchased my first ever bunch of shallots from a mail order company that just called them "shallots." I have no idea what variety. They were small, red/gold (1" or less) but I stuck 20 of 'em in at 8" apart this spring using the largest cloves out of the quart that they sent me.
    I got everything. Some produced three, some produced five or six per plant.
    Earlier this season I posted a thread and asked your same basic question. I was told that smaller produced fewer, but larger shallots; larger produced more, but smaller shallots. I have noticed with the variety that I was sent that after harvest the larger ones seem not to keep as well. I have had several of the larger harvest go bad. None of the smaller have gone bad, yet.
    I am going to plant SMALL shallots both fall (October here) and spring (March, here) to experiment and see how they fare. I relate back to the small shallots that I was sent and the great production that they provided - we will never get all of them eaten, even as much as we use shallots in cooking. I might add that all of my "smaller" shallots are now much bigger than the original batch that I was sent. This will be a learning experience! I truly hope I am not steering you down the wrong path, as this is my FIRST YEAR'S experience.
    hortster

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville