glenn_50

Mitsuba

Glenn_50

We grow a lot of Italian Parsley for sale. The restaurants want something different but not too far out of their comfort zone. Alas curled parsley is considered too common.

I was wondering about a bed of Mitsuba. I have read a bit about it but no clues are given on whether it would make a good garnish or pesto.

Can anyone help? Is it worthwhile giving it garden space for these fairly conservative chefs? They do but Rau Ram and Shiso so I suppose they aren't too bad.

Glenn

• Glenn_50

Whoops That was meant to be BUY Rau Ram etc
    glenn

• npthaskell

I love Mitsuba. It is milder than Parsley, & tastes a bit different. It may like a bit of shade for green leaves, my plants in the sun need lots of fertilizer to stay green, otherwise they are yellowish green. The oriental seed catalogs suggest blanching the stems; I don't bother, I like them non-blanched.

• exop

I have a big patch of mitsuba and I have found:

* It is excellent in chicken salad, like in chicken salad sandwiches

* It is excellent in fried rice

* Apparently, it is traditional in miso soup, so any Japanese or fusion restaurant would immediately have a reason to try some

Best of luck! A worthwhile plant and self-seeds very satisfyingly.

krnntp

• Violet_Z6

Good info.

Glenn,
    >Alas curled parsley is considered too common.

It's not that it's too common. It's that it is unpleasant to eat. The leaves are more thick and tougher than Italian Flatleaf parsley. Curly leaf parsley is really good in container plantings for texture and color contrast, just not so much to eat.

• shepparton

Glen, instead of Mitsuba...how about coriander for the leaf?
    Mitsuba I grow here and it's taste is somewhat green and herbal, a bit like angelica and celery. And may be an acquired taste for the Caucasian palate
    Coriander grows easily from seed so long as it's not too hot.
    Come to think of it corander leaf might be an acquired taste to......( I know some friends who think it smells like squashed bugs)..oh well.

Your true premier one-stop-shop with over 35 years of experience