Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessiann63

need ID help again

jessiann63
10 years ago

Is this best seller?
{{gwi:405666}}

This one I got from my sister in laws yard. it's a small flower, kinda trumpet shaped. very fragrant.

{{gwi:405667}}

This one I got at a yard sale for 2 bucks. It's darker red than the photo. It looks almost burgundy up close. it's also a small flower.

Louana

{{gwi:405668}}

Comments (10)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Hi Louana!

#1...H. Sydney or H. Cantate?
    #2...a delightful heirloom with strong influence of H. Vittatum
    #3...possibly H. Red Lion. An old reliable. White tips are good hint on this one!

I am probably totally wrong, but love trying to ID the unknowns. They sure look healthy, whatever they are. Enjoys the fragrance!!
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Louana,

Well, I don't think the first one could be Sydney because I'm pretty sure Sydney is a red and white stripe but other than that I don't know what it is but it sure is a pretty one!

I agree that the second is probably a vitattum hybrid of some sort and they are quite often fragrant. The last one I haven't a clue.

As Kristi says, they look very happy and healthy especially the first vibrant dark pink.

Donna

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I just looked up Bestseller and I think you're right. That's what it looks like to me anyway,,

10 years ago

I guess I should have asked if you bought the first on labeled as H. Bestseller, or if that was just a guess. I scoured Emaryllis.com last night looking for similar bulbs.
    K

10 years ago

The photo on the Netherland Bulb Company for Best Seller doesn't match yours, nor does the photo on the American Meadows site. The photos on the Royal Horticultural Society site and also Royal Blooms don't favor yours being Best Seller either. (SORRY. those are all I could find!!) The pink color seems to be somewhat in agreement.

Looking further on the web, I see that H. Cantate is a solid color and H. Sydney has much more white...so those were very incorrect "guesses" on my part. I wish that the names associated with the photos were more evident on Emaryllis.com!!
    K

• jessiann63
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kristi,

No I didn't buy a bulb labeled bestseller. I'm not sure where that one came from. I haven't seen it bloom before. The tag in it just said red. I did self an amigo 3 years ago and they are all blooming now. Some are pinkish and some are more red. Maybe that's where it came from? i'm just not sure. I run to Emaryllis.com everytime a bulb blooms to make sure I have it labeled correctly. Last summer some cats got in my greenhouse and knocked some pots over and the tags fell out so I have to relabel.

Louana

This post was edited by Jessiann63 on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 20:52

10 years ago

Well it is fun to try and ID blooms....a selfed H. Amigo could explain a lot!

I try to buy the extra long tags and stick them well down into the soil. How big is your greenhouse? I am looking to buy a "real" greenhouse vs the pop-up one that I currently own. It's functional, but I want more permanence!
    K

• jessiann63
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My greenhouse is 16 x 40. Me and my husband built it. We bought some 4x4's, concrete, and a big roll of clear contractor plastic from lowes, we made a frame and covered it with plastic. We had it for 8 years now. I have to replace the plastic every fall though it don't hold up. It's a nice size but its so full of tropicals I don't have much room for anything else. My hippi's are cramed in a corner. I really want another one just for my hippi's. I want a metal frame. As for plant tags I find that mini blinds work great. They are a thicker plastic, so they don't get brittle like the ones you buy and you can cut them any length you want. I got one at a yard sale for 2 bucks and it made about 600 tag.

Louana

10 years ago

WOW!!! (that's all I can say!!)
    :-)
    K

• jessiann63
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You can easily build one if you have the space. It wasn't hard at all.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions