0

Rain Garden

gardeningfireman

Is a Rain Garden the same as a Bog Garden?

• fredsbog

I suppose that technically all true bogs are rain gardens as the only source of water that enters a bog is from rain (ground water cannot enter a bog because of the substrate).

All rain gardens are not necessarily bog gardens. A rain garden is basically a garden that catches and holds rain runoff and therefore is likely to be seasonally dry. There is a much more diverse group of plants that can grow in a rain garden, however, I am somewhat of a purist and my idea of a bog garden is far different from most peoples.

I hope I didn't confuse you more! There are several bog nature preserves here in Northeast Ohio that you can visit, and I have 3 artificial bogs in my yard.

I'm in Parma, What part of NE, OH are you?

Fred

• Susan Bryan

Hi rain garden enthusiasts. I am going to invite my Master Rain Gardener class to post in the Great Lakes Gardening forum here. Please come and help out newbie rain gardeners! I'd love your support and help from experienced gardeners. Sometimes the questions are general gardening, like how to remove sod, or more rain-garden-specific. Your comments are welcome!