Software
Houzz Logo Print
spike_gw

Welcome!

22 years ago

I hope there is enough interest to to make this a popular forum! So what genera have been placed in a new family today? ;-)

Comments (19)

  • 22 years ago

    Wow. Thanks Spike!! I expect I'll lurk here alot just to find out the latest goings on in the plant world. :-D

  • 22 years ago

    Very cool, I am going to be teaching Botany in a few years, I can come here and ask questions so I don't look like a ding-a-ling in front of my students!! (High school, they can be so evil)

    Eva

  • 22 years ago

    I'll contribute what I can ... great idea.

    Good Day ...

  • 22 years ago

    Wish came true. I am glad that GW opened this new forum.This will give us opportunity to understand the scientific facts about plants and their use as vegetables,
    which in turn will help us growing healthy vegetables to harvest rich crops.
    Thanks a lot.

    chiman

  • 22 years ago

    Thanks, Spike. You're the best.

    Al

  • 22 years ago

    I am looking forward to this! I am curious whether you use a specific botanical system of classification and nomenclature? I rely on Cronquist; as he wrote it. Alas, there are other versions out there that took liberties with his system (for example, Hickman et al). In the last 20 years, the Cronquist system has become the standard; but, of course, herbaria and botanical gardens tend to still rely on older works. To add to the confusion, hosticulturalists often use a different approach. I am certain that we will encounter some of these issues here. Best wishes!

  • 22 years ago

    OH!! I am so happy. Botany was my favorite subject in high school and in college. I'm sure I will be spending way too much time here. :-) Thank you Spike!
    Mia

  • 22 years ago

    Good choice !!!
    I'm taking the Master Gardener classes in the fall.I'm sure I'll be asking alot of questions.
    Karen

  • 22 years ago

    Thanks for the welcome. How big a subject is botany?? Answer: It is a very big subject. Let's start out with crapemyrtles (one word). Call them Lagerstroemia indica if you wish, but please don't call them "crepe myrtles." Let the French keep their crepes suzette, and we our lovely crapemyrtles. They are in gorgeous bloom right now, and are such a gift to the landscape!

  • 22 years ago

    What a wonderful surprise to see this new forum. I've recently realized that I have to learn some botany in order to identify plants. Can you believe that I was a natural sciences major in college, and was certified to teach biology in grades 7-12, and I had NO botany courses. Thanks for the opportunity to catch up. I'll be here every morning with my coffee before work.

    Shelley

  • 22 years ago

    Wow and Thanks Spike!!
    My favorite subject.
    I too will contribute when I can.

  • 22 years ago

    this is great, i'm planning on getting certificate on either master gardener or horiculture following season. this is gonna be good!

  • 22 years ago

    YEHAA botany chat...

    im a botanist by training and a gardner by choice.

    froggy

  • 22 years ago

    hey, so this forum was just added? i'm hoping there will be some botanists on here that i can learn from!!!

    Alex

  • 22 years ago

    Thanks Spike!
    Foxy.

  • 22 years ago

    This is great! I have just enough botanical training to be dangerous, but it gave me a desire to know everything I can about the plants around me. If they could walk, they would rule the world. Where would we be without them??

    Thanks Spike!

  • 22 years ago

    I took Master Gardener classes last year and wondered at the time just how big botany was as a field of study. Now I get to find out! Thanks, Spike!

  • 22 years ago

    Thank you Spike...I new hang out for me!

  • 22 years ago

    I've been waiting for this forever!

    I'm two courses away from my undergrad degree in botany. My experience has been in genetic-y areas, taxonomy, non-vascular plant ID and physiology, as well as vasc. physiology.

    Thanks spike!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting