Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Dragon Wing Begonias

kimcoco
14 years ago

I took Tom's advice and planted Dragon Wing begonias in my new window boxes, full to mostly full shade. For those who are familiar with the container garden forum, I'm using Al's mix for the medium. The problem is, I purchased the begonias about a month before they were ready to go outside, I kept them in my basement but they got mildewy - poor circulation, beginners mistake. So, I've since treated them with a systemic, and the mildew problem seems to have ceased. I tried removing any leaves that were mildewy, so they don't look very full right now.

I don't know how to care for these begonias, there were no planting/care instructions.

I added a slow release fertilizer to the medium, but I'm curious how often I should be watering them. Do I let them dry out between waterings, or is that only if you are overwintering them indoors?

I didn't want to fertilize them at planting time since I read you should let it adjust first to the transplanting???, but I think I'm also going to use Miracle Grow once they start growing. I can't wait for them to fill in.

Thoughts, suggestions, feedback anyone?

Thanks

Comments (10)

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, they haven't done a thing since I've planted them, so I'm yanking them out. Actually, they look more spindly now, I've treated them twice with a systemic. I'll plant them in sun and see if that helps.

• hc mcdole
    14 years ago

bubba is correct. DW can take full sun - just keep them watered.

Here are some of mine over the years:

Six in this bed in full sun from morning until evening:
    {{gwi:434630}}

Coir lined basket on hot deck:
    {{gwi:434631}}

On driveway with a Kong coleus - 18 inch containers:
    {{gwi:434632}}

{{gwi:434633}}

On flagstone:
    {{gwi:434634}}

Same begonia as above:
    {{gwi:434635}}

• Paula Allen
    last year

I am new to Hiouzz so bear with me please. Any ideas what pest might be?

• Paula Allen
    last year

I liked my own post Haha Whatever is eating plant above is gnawing on all of my dragon leaf begonias Help!! Thank you very much

• hc mcdole
    last year

It looks like mechanical damage - a tear in a leaf can be caused by most anything stronger than the leaf itself. I don't see any evidence of eaten leaves. Some brown spots that are probably damage to that area of the leaf and possibly some kind of fungal disease setting up in the damaged areas. I would cut off those leaves and let the plant grow some new ones. It appears this is indoors and while that is okay, they do so much better outdoors for summer. I bought one yellow leaf dragon wings called Canary Wings this spring and I have it in too deep of shade to do its best but so far it is doing just fine.

When I grew Dragon Wings years ago they grew best in full sun.

• Paula Allen
    last year

Beautiful Mine are outdoors. Master gardener at

local reputable nursery said simple case of too much water. Now I would appreciate help with do I pull the damaged leaves off now or let them be ugly until I see if further damage is going to occur Maybe the already ruined leaves will take the hits and not the new growth?

• Paula Allen
    last year

I believe mine are getting plenty of sun i am in Texas and we are having a beast of a summer! 40+ days straight in the 100s and not a drop of rain in months I thought my plants were as thirsty as I wiuld be outside in this oven and kept cooling them off wth more water

• hc mcdole
    last year

Ruh-roh - yep we often kill or harm our plants with too much love and Water. Hope they dry out some and get back to thriving. We don't get in the 100's very much but mid to high 90's is the norm for us.

Play with them and find out what works for you and your region. Let us know how it goes for you.

• Paula Allen
    last year

Thank you for encouraging words Mine flourished last year But, even us old native Texans are feeling this summer and the feeling is not good! haha Just hope for rain soon as water tables are drying rapidly Best wishes to you

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz