Software
Houzz Logo Print
miss_chybil

Help! I've bitten off more than I can chew.

21 years ago

I'm building a raised bed with rocks. I don't know if this is technically a "rock garden," or not, but that is of no matter. I built a wall of rocks at an angle across the corner of my yard. The wall itself is 15 feet long and about a foot, high. Maybe, a little higher. So, my bed is a triangle - the block wall forming two sides of it. Each of those sides is 11 feet long. I thought I'd fill it with top soil and compost. Two bags of top soil to one bag of compost. We spent $44.00 on dirt today and haven't even made a dent when it comes to filling the bed!

I was thinking of making another level, a smaller triangle, in the bed, about three feet, or so, in from the first wall and another foot high. I'm planning on putting some stepping stones in strategic places, so I can get to the inside of the bed to plant and cultivate it. I'm not sure what I'm going to plant in the bed. I know I'm going to plant flowers, perennials and annuals, plus I'd like to put some lettuce and stuff like that in it. Maybe some small bush type things. It's on the north and west facing walls - so lots of sun in the summer time. Right now, the two southern-most feet of the bed are shaded all day, but there is plenty of reflected light, I'm sure.

The thing is so much bigger than it seemed before we tried to fill it. I'm wondering, can I put some other kind of dirt in it for a filler and put the good stuff on top? How deep should the good dirt be? Six, eight inches? Where can I get regular old dirt? Or, cheaper dirt than $3.50 a cubic foot for topsoil? I don't know why everything I try to do turns into such a huge undertaking. Your suggestions will be much appreciated!

Comments (7)

  • 20 years ago

    My recommendation would be to call pioneer gravel and sand, and get a price from them for soil. It's much cheaper when you are buying it in bulk. They will bring it by dump truck, and you'll have to haul it wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow to where you need it at, but it should be much cheaper. If you tell them the dimensions of your bed, and how deep the soil needs to be, they can give you a pretty good estimate of how much more soil you need, and how much it will cost. They have a very nice soil mix that I've used for my rose beds, that is much less expensive than buying it buy the bag. I think I paid $100 for a dump truck full when I bought mine several years ago now. It shouldn't be much more than that.

    Good luck!
    Easy

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks, Easy! That sounds like the perfect solution. I was thinking a dump truck load would be much more expensive. My husband and I have been gathering the rocks for the bed on our own. I thought I was being pretty clever, getting our hardscaping for "free." (Gathering big, old rocks in 100 degree weather isn't really "free," when you think about it.) When I realized the dirt was going to cost much more than I expected, it was quite a disappointment. Thanks, this really helps take a load off my mind and my wallet!

  • 20 years ago

    Depending on the configuration of your lot, you might be able to get them to dump it in your bed for you, too. And if you have your own truck, it's also cheaper. But Easy's suggestion will save you tons of sweat and $. One of the other places is Western Organics, but you can probably find a number of them in the phone book.

    Good luck!

  • 20 years ago

    If it were me, I would simply buy compost instead of dirt in bulk. I have very little confidence in "imported dirt". Our soil is rich in minerals and is just lacking organic materials. Just buy compost and add mix it in with native soil until you reach the soil level that you want. Any excess compost can be used as a mulch in the beds or other areas. The cost of compost is actually about the same as fill dirt, but with much more benefit.

    Remember, there are 27 cub feet in a cub yard, so make your calculations accordingly.

    My 2 cents here (and very few people will agree with me)

    GL and HTH

  • 20 years ago

    The dirt/mulch mix that Pioneer sells is wonderful. I swear by it...as a matter of fact, getting ready to order another dump truck full to spread in my rose beds this winter. It' is a forest mulch mix, very nice, wonderful drainage...all my bulbs seem to really love it and multiply like rabbits! ;)

    easy

  • 20 years ago

    For what it's worth, I agree with DesertRat. I would by your compost in bulk and till that into your soil. It will raise the soil level quite bit and you will be way ahead on your garden soil quality. This is especialy true if you have clay soil. It takes quite a bit or organics to really loosen clay up so that it won't compact. If you just use the compost you will be in much better shape, especialy for root crops like carrots, radishes etc. You already have all the dirt you need..Just add the compst.

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks, all, for your wonderful suggestions. jkochan and DesertRat, I'm building a raised bed. It's about 18 inches deep. I don't have anyplace in my yard I can take that much dirt from. I wish I did!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths