Is this Aechmea Black on Black?

richtrav
16 years ago

I know it's a recurvata hybrid but that's about it

{{gwi:454490}}

Comments (5)

• kerry_t_australia
    16 years ago

I think it could be A. Black on Black, or Pica, or Oh My!, or Black Flamingo - even though the leaves on some of those are more reddish than black - possibly a light and cultivation variable.
    The flowers have finished in your pic. Do you remember what colour the petals were? That might narrow the possibilities.

When I first saw your photo, I thought A. Pica....mostly because that is one I grow that looks very similar. I suspect at least a couple of those, suggested above, are the same plant, but with different names - possibly a regional/colloquial thing? - or maybe that cross has been popular with several hybridisers.........

and you thought you'd get a simple "yes" or "no" answer! LOL

Cheers,
    Kerry

• ozvon
    16 years ago

Altho mine has yet to flower, your plant looks the dead spit of my Ae. Pica.

• bromeliaddict
    16 years ago

I just checked the bsi cultivar registry. It looks like 'Black On Black' and 'Pica' are both registered names for the same hybrid cross. I'm not sure how that happened! The information on 'Black On Black' is a bit more concrete. It gives credit to John Anderson as the hybridizer, establishing that the cross was made in 1988 and it was registered in 1994.
    'Pica' was registered by Carol Johnson. She made a couple of guesses as to who the hybridizers were. Bullis and Deleon are referred to with a question mark. Inquiries could be made as to whether either of them ever made that cross. I wouldn't be surprised if Carol didn't come across some of John Anderson's hybrid and didn't know the source.
    For what it's worth, I have the plant labeled as 'Black On Black'. Mine bloomed exactly as richtrav's photo above.
    Paul

• LindaL1942
    9 years ago

Does anyone know if this Bromeliad wants to be divided. I have two and they both have multiple pups. It does not seem to be hurting the mother. Should I divide or not?

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

Only you can make that call since we can't see the plants

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions