Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

They're Here... With Pictures!

jodik_gw
16 years ago

I just finished taking a few update photos, and wanted to share... these are of the new bulbs I got all the way from California... and a few other shots I thought you might enjoy seeing...

Cupido, Jade Serpent, and Baby Doll...

{{gwi:449301}}

Peach Blossom and Fanfare...

{{gwi:449303}}

Vesuvius...

{{gwi:449304}}

xJohnsonii...

{{gwi:449305}}

Exotic Star on it's 3rd scape... notice the ice on the window pane behind it!

{{gwi:449306}}

Limona on it's 2nd scape... with a background of ice!

{{gwi:449307}}

Pamela in bud...

{{gwi:449309}}

Hermitage in bud...

{{gwi:449311}}

I'm so glad to have gotten the new bulbs when I did... this morning, icy rain began to fall and the temperature made a drastic dip... by the time I finished chores, which consists of feeding the aviary full of ducks and peacocks and chickens, feeding the horses, and cleaning and feeding the kennel, enough freezing rain had fallen to completely coat everything!! The sidewalk was a long slip-n-slide, which I carefully navigated back to the house, and the roads are one black ice patch after another! Winter is officially here to stay! (grumble grumble bah humbug)

Hope you enjoy the pictures... and all you northerners, keep warm! :-)

Comments (22)

• beetle_2007
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh..jodik, you have horses? The hub and I are freaks for our two!lol. Back on topic, what a gorgeous group of bulbs!! My first thought was that they looked like golden christmas decorations! Silly,maybe, are you ever going to be in More color,lucky you! I rather like the icey windows behind them too,gives you a cosy feel! Can't wait till they bloom and we get to see all the beautiful pics pretty please lol. Have a Great night ,beet

• soultan
    16 years ago

Jodi, since you have planted them, you will have them bloom first... I am going out of State for a week for New Years and I am afraid that all my bulbs will bloom on that particular week and will not wait for me, just as it happened in September... I'd like to see how they look like. I might put up a space outside in the garage where I will set up a "cool-little-keep-yourself-back" shelf for them. Maybe they will be kept back in development in the cooler garage.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beet... 3 horses actually live on the premises... they aren't mine, though... they belong to the property owners... 2 thoroughbred geldings that are retired from racing, and a quarter horse mare that just foaled! She was sent off to foal because the foal belongs to the former owner, apparently... horses are nice, and I like them, but they are rather costly... I'll probably never own one, myself!

Every time I take pictures near my grow lights, they come out kind of yellowish... which explains the bulb ornaments! I will be sure to post photos as they are potted up and bloom... I have potted every bulb I've gotten recently in succession so I'd be sure to have color through at least part of the winter... flowers, and especially amaryllis flowers, tend to help chase away the winter blues! The ice on the windows does look kind of neat as a background... it's melted now, but I am glad to have caught that on film!

Soultan... I think it may be a good idea to put your potted bulbs in a cooler, darker area to retard growth a bit... that way, you may actually get to enjoy the flowers when you get back! It seems you go away every time you get bulbs potted up! What poor timing! I'll be sure to take pictures of mine... just in case you miss yours... that way, you can see what they look like. Judging by pictures I've seen on the catalog websites, these will be gorgeous! I can't wait!

I need to take more pictures today... Exposure is opening! Exotic Star has another bloom open, too! And Pamela isn't far away from blooming, either! This is so awesome!! I'm really glad I caught CHAD!! Hehe!

• JaapM
    16 years ago

soultan:
    when away you could make a retarded ( right word? ) film of the flowering by taking a pic every half our with your webcam.
    There exists a free program to do so: check their site

Here is a link that might be useful: freeware webcam application

• soultan
    16 years ago

I have Limona, White Nymph, Jumbo Red Lion, and Liberty planted that might bloom a month from now. I have not planted the little ones yet. The next one would be Elvas. I plant my bulbs in succession, but all that have the scape showing jump the line. This is OCD. There has to be order, but the order can be changed when certain logical rules apply... Tünde was joking about it yesterday when I shown her the seed tray with all the neatly lined up seeds. :o) She thought I did it so they'd look good. I informed her that it was for practical reasons. If seeds next to each other germinate, they still have space to develop, if they are in a matrix, but have less chance of survival if they are on top of each other.

Jaapm,

That is a really interesting application. I have full house video camera system set up, but that does not show the amaryllis room. I will most likely stick to the cold storage method though, because I cannot pollinate through webcam. :o) And I also cannot ask Toto to do it for me... Or the guy who will be watching Toto... I am the only CHAD crazy person here... They look at the flower and like them, but they don't enjoy fussing around them. :o)

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Soultan... you will love Limona! It blooms for a nice long time! And, it appears to be quite fertile... I have two huge seed pods forming from the first scape so far, and I am breeding the second scape on it now! I have brought Red Pearl pollen to it, and I think I'll use Exposure on the last two blooms...

Jaapm... that's a good idea... taking timed photos if you can't be there... that way, you'd never miss out on seeing a flower open if you can't be there to see it... it's also a good idea for making a series of photos showing the flower from bud to full bloom!

• soultan
    16 years ago

I had Limona before. The kind that had the veins, so I hated it. That is why I bought a new one now, to see if this time it will be clear-colored. It is fertile, indeed. All of the flowers bore seeds for me last year. It is not an ugly flower, but I wish it were not called Limona... I would have not expected it to be Limona then and I would be fine with the discoloration.

• haxuan
    16 years ago

Oh, I'd love to have Limona... Only, it's not available here. By the way, I just bought myself a bulb yesterday and as usual, no name. Can you possibly identify it, or at least tell me if the flower will have strips just by looking at it right now? From you rich experience, I believe you can :-).
    Many thanks. Here's my new purchase.

{{gwi:449313}}

Closer-up on bud

{{gwi:449317}}

Xuan (from sunshine Vietnam)

• haxuan
    16 years ago

Wish someone could give my new hippie a name, pls, if possible!
    Thanks.

Xuan

• soultan
    16 years ago

Be patient. It is not open yet. But if you want, call it Margaret Thatcher! :o)

• haxuan
    16 years ago

Thanks, Soultan... but I prefer calling it "Queen Elizabeth II"...hehehe. How about that?
    Anyway, promise me that when it opens and I post its photo, you'll tell me its name, OK?
    Many thanks in advance.

Xuan

• soultan
    16 years ago

I cannot promise that, but I can try finding out what it is.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Xuan - if my Limona produces enough seed, I would be happy to share with you so you can grow a Limona x Limona... which would be almost like growing a Limona, only they will be Limona's children... do you think it would difficult for you to get seeds in the mail?

• haxuan
    16 years ago

Jodi, thanks for your offer! It'd be great having a Limona, wow. And you know what Jodi, it will grow and grow because we have sunshine all the year round in Vietnam! And then I will be the only one here with a WHITE hippie!!!
    I don't think it will be difficult to get seeds in the mail, but maybe it will help if you could arrange the seeds flat! I wish to pay for the stamp; pls let me know.
    Thank you in advance.

Xuan

• elizabeth_jb
    16 years ago

Xuan,

Are you serious? No white hippies?

I wish that I had known that last year. I would have crossed many whites for you. I'll certainly keep that in mind when mine start blooming again.

Jodi! Limona is a happy Mama and does tend to produce lots of seeds. I have no doubt that they will be viable.

Also, I am almost positive that Exotic Star X Exotic Star did produce seeds, but I can't be 100% sure until I try it again this year. I plan to isolate one of my Exotic Star's from the other to ensure that there is no insect pollination.

Then, I will know for sure.

I believe that Exotic Star X Exotic Star will produce very interesting results. It's a shame that there is no resource to tell us the parentage of these, but I strongly suspect that Hans-Werner is correct. He knows these beauties all so very well.

This year, I got such a late start, but I have been enjoying all of your posts AND watching my babies GROW!

Now, it is time for me to start seeing some BLOOMS!

• haxuan
    16 years ago

Elizabeth, I got a lot of seeds from you and Cindee last year but because of the long trip back here, I kept the seedlings separated from their name labels!!! Now I'm unable to say which is which. I'll have to wait until the seendlings bloom and ask you guys for ID (with suggested names I got from the labels). Stupid me!
    So far I haven't seen any white hippie around here.

Xuan

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Xuan - I would be happy to send you a few seeds! I have two pods on Limona so far... I have promised to trade some with Dizzy, but I think there will be enough to share with you, as well... I will let you know when they are ripe, and we can arrange something...

I have several flowers bred, and should have a few more varieties to breed soon... I still have lots of bulbs growing scapes, and I plan to breed everything!

Since I know that Limona is a fertile plant, I know that I will get more seeds from it next year, too!

Elizabeth - I have one seed pod ripening on Exotic Star so far... all the others aborted. I've had a lot of breedings abort, but I understand that there will be lots of failures, as well as a few successes... Mother Nature has her reasons for what she does, and we must abide by her decisions!

The more I think about it, the more I believe I should make more self breedings, as these seem to take much better! Plus, the ensuing seeds will be offspring, and not necessarily exactly like the parent plant!

If you got a late start, then you will have flowers after all mine have faded! I would love to see some pictures of yours! Please do post when your bulbs bloom!

• aacor11
    7 years ago

I'd like some Limona seeds too... if Jodik is still here to hear me. I could send back striatum seeds.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    7 years ago

this thread is "10" years old.....

• aacor11
    7 years ago

Oh well, I wasn't here for 10 years. I had my baby daughter, moved house, etc.. and did not come back for all that time.

Do you know what happened to Jody, Arif, JaapM? I saw that some of the others got sick and left. I felt so sorry to read that.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    7 years ago

I only mentioned that the thread was 10 years old because you were requesting seeds!☺☺ We have a different Jody now (I'm sure the other one is still out there), and Arif is still around now and then. Keep reading and perhaps in the near future there may be different seeds available if you're interested.

Donna

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions