Shop Products
bobbi_socal

Milkweed allergies anyone?

I've read the posts & FAQ about the terrible eye injuries sustained by contact with milkweed sap, but has anyone ever had any other types of reactions to handling milkweed like nausea or anything?

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience other allergic reactions to it.

Bobbi

• 17 years ago

Not me, and I have big time allergies, also asthma. I haven't handled it a LOT, but enough that if I were going to be allergic to it, I'd have known.
    The only problem it creates is the eye damage due to the abrasiveness and/or toxicity of the milky stuff - I wouldn't let a baby around it, since they tend to put everything in their mouths.
    MissSherry

• 17 years ago

As with anything that oozes a milky sap, I welt up from it. I have some kind of milkweed vine and it really bothers me if I cut it and the sap touches me.

• 17 years ago

No, but I got it in my eyes a couple of years ago and will NEVER touch it and then touch my face again before I wash my hands. Be very careful getting it on your hands and then touching your face. It is extremely painful and costly.

Leubafr (Mary)

• 17 years ago

Never had any issues with handling it EXCEPT for the eye...been there TWICE (accidentally, no less, and let me tell you, it is NO fun). I constantly wash my hands anyway, since I work with Kindergartners but with the Milkweed I have to constantly remind myself, "Don't touch your face when you are in the garden, Sherry!!!"

• 5 years ago

I found this message thread because I have been feeling fatigue and congestion ever since I started working closely with the milkweed. I wondered if anyone else had these symptoms.

• 4 years ago

I put it on my face to remove little skin cancers. My face swelled up on the side that I administered it and broke out in tiny blisters lasted about 4 days but did remove the cancers. So advice if you use it do not go out for a few days.

• 4 years ago

Linda,

I am a doctor, so I have some knowledge. It’s possible your fatigue/congestion is caused by allergies, but it could be related to many plants or molds that are currently releasing pollen or spores, so present in the air around you. It’s hard to identify/confirm particular allergens unless they cause contact reactions on the skin, or you undergo controlled allergy testing. Your fatigue might even be caused by increased physical activity or time spent in the sun, rather than any allergy at all. Most allergic reactions involve sneezing, itchy eyes, rashes, sinus congestion, etc. Fatigue is a pretty vague, non-specific symptom.

Martha

• 3 years ago

I have broken out in a rash very similar to the rash I get from poison ivy.

• 11 months ago

Currently my face , especially around the eyes, is swollen and my face on the right side mostly, is very itchy. I noticed the milkweed growing on my property and like a dummy, I touched the flowering part and ...lol sniffed it! It smells pretty.. any way a few hours later I noticed the swelling and redness in my face.. I'm guessing it's from the milkweed. This was about 3 days ago when it started.