Software
Houzz Logo Print
darlaplans

Am I being a knit picker?

14 years ago
last modified: 14 years ago
I am in the process of having my house built. I thought I would receive the fireplace veneer on the right picture, instead I got the one to the on the left. I think it looks bad. It is the same manufacturer and the same stone.
Yes, you are a knit picker
No. contact your builder and see what can be done

Comments (57)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    If the stone in the "like" picutre was speced out by Brand, Color, Style you should be upset. But if there was nothing speced and they where to match stone, I am not sure what you can do. Manufactured stone varies so much market to market and may not be sold in your area. Only thing they could of done was buy extra and throw out the ugly stones.
  • 14 years ago
    A "nit" picker! I bet that once was a job for someone.

    Well, there are so many details that just don't come up to our expectations and it is the details that make the difference. I know I couldn't handle building a home, so I give you loads of credit!

    It does seem that the grout color is the main difference, but I don't know if I would risk staining. Even though it did not come out the way you wanted it to, I think it still looks good.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Besides the grout being too light in certain cases like this I recommend getting a few extra pieces to sor t of pick and choose what you are going to put on your fireplace being that there is too much variation in color. The extra pieces will give you a cushion in terms of variation, also with stone or brick the colors around it will affect the final look. But definately talk to your builder, maybe he can color the veneer so that the colors are closer to each other and definately I would recommend re grouting in a darker color
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Have you gone back to your vendor and shown them the two photos side by side? They most likely will say they have no control in the variation of the stone so allowances for differences are made. It's at least worth a try to go in friendly and then throw a real hissy fit if they are not willing to accommodate you. Nothing ventured, nothing.....! You have absolutely nothing to lose at this point.
  • 14 years ago
    When we built our house our very skilled mason was kind enough to create several sample boards with our stone and different grout colors. The difference in the overall look was quite dramatic. We also discussed the grout depth that affects how much of the stone edge is exposed. With a stone blend like yours, no two fireplaces would turn out identically.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I nmean no disrespect to anyone but I am sorry to say that a "hissy fit" will not solve anything in fact you will be given the worst solution possible and it will probably cost you more money, if you have an extra piece of that tile and compare it side by side, do you see the one installed darker? this means that an enhancer sealer was used on the brick
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I see a few things going on. It is the same stone, with all its natural variations. What I see is a different distribution of sizes and color and your grout appears lighter. Unfortunately when building with so many trades people going in and out it's hard to keep track of who's doing what. However this doesn't appear to be a "bad" installation to me, just one where the installer should have had a conversation with the homeowner first. Darkening the grout would help and I do feel a darker wall color would help give it the pop the model has against the gold. Have a conversation with your builder and see how it goes. Worst case scenario see if they will pop out and switch some of the darker stones or stain some of those on the left to balance it out and darken the grout. Good luck!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    This is a very small fireplace and a very quick fix. If your builder won't fix it, have the stone company come in and change it for you... I'm thinking this is less that $500. BTW, I don't like either option; the stone is too cold and too many yellowy tones. I would go with something more neutral to ensure enjoyment for years and style changes to come. Mistie at mistikdesignstudio.com
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Thank you everyone. Glad almost everyone used etiquette. Your positive feedback has helped so much with this issue that I have been losing sleep over.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Am I the only one who actually prefers the fireplace on the left? I agree that the variation in color is greater, and that isn't what I like about it (though I don't really mind it either). It is the lighter grout and the flatter appearance of the stone (is that just an optical illusion of the photo?) that look just slightly more attractive to me. Anyway, I thought I'd mention it. My preference might be a more uniform, light color in the stone, but with the flatter surface and lighter grout.
  • 14 years ago
    Could a few of the light color stones be chipped out and darker stones replaced? Also a faux artist could probably match the colors and paint a few of the bricks on the left.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree with Karen Paul. Begin nicely and attempt to negotiate, but change tactics if you are not getting the results you want.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Yes, Karen Paul's advice is spot on. It does not hurt to be nice and ask about. Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    I could be way off here but I think that the grout color is only part of the issue. This looks to me to be in the install process as well. Not to say it wasn't done right or according to "standards" but I think that the grout in the "want" fireplace was applied and brushed deep into the joints. This give more depth to the overall look and they appear as they are protruding instead of semi flush. I have seen this in many outside applications so you may want to inquire about it. Wish you the best!!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Thanks. It just gets me that I pay all this money and at the design center I am given several stone choices based on the brochure and the samples they had there. Then after being disappointed, I go on the manufacturer's webpage page and the same stone looks nice. I never had a new fireplace and had no idea it could come out so uneven, un-natural and not at all like the pictures. The pictures show a much more staggered look. I do believe it was the technique and grout application and also having bad luck with the choice of stones that they were given. Here were the pics I based my decision on
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    That stinks Home Diva....
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    One thing to take note of is that on each side of your fireplace in the "don't want" picture there seems to be a window. The "do want" picture has the fireplace in the middle of the wall with no windows to either side and very bright wall color. The tanish wall color "blends" in with the fireplace whereas the bright wall has more wall space to accentuate the mantle and shape of the fireplace. All this aside, the stone that was used seems to be a different size or not stacked as tightly. I would list your biggest concerns and see if you can come to a mutual agreement on how to proceed with your installer. This is your home and you will be living in it. How you respond to your contractor will also set the stage as to how much they will be willing to do for you.
  • 14 years ago
    Have you considered using something such as Sherwin Williams color visualizer and see the difference the wall color makes for the don't like fireplace. With a darker color wall such as in your like picture the fireplace and its mantle look wonderful. The mantle on the don't like picture doesn't look like it belongs. You might even ask the builder what it would look like with a dark mantle instead, if they are not willing to redo the stone for you. Just ideas. I hope you are able to quickly come to a happy agreement with your builder.
  • 14 years ago
    I don't think the grout is a different color, I just think the right photo has tighter grout lines, brushed deeper so you don't actually see the grout but only a shadow of it. The stones at right also have changes in depth, whereas yours seem to be relatively flat. To be honest, at first glace I didn't even notice that there were more dark stones on the right side of yours than on the left. Now I do, though! You also have a lot less skinny stones than big fat ones and I think the skinny ones along with the tighter, brushed in grout give it a higher end look. I think if it is bothering you now, it will always bother you and you should see what you can do to have it fixed. If they refuse to fix it and you don't want to pay someone else to do it, then really I don't think it's enough difference that you should lose sleep over it. There will be a lot of other things going on in the room once it has furniture and people in it. It won't seem like such a big deal then, I think. Good luck!
  • 14 years ago
    True Scaplan..It's just one of those things that I pictured differently in my head. You are correct, the house isn't even finished, we are not even moved in and I might be just focusing on it to much. At worse, it could be fixed by either stone replacement or the painted stones suggestion. Thanks!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Family Room · More Info

    I'm with feeny. I like it. I know you are disappointed and I understand. Having recently built my home it is easy to get fixated on something. When your home is finally decorated it will look entirely different to you.

    That being said, my issue with the fireplace is the trim. Maybe this pix could give you an idea of adding additional woodwork to make the whole thing more important...more of a focal point. Your builder owes you at least that consideration.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Dear Diva, I understand the fireplace is really bothering you. Why don't you go back to the builder and tell them you want it changed out because it is not as specified in the contract. NOW is the time to do it. This after all, is a contractual issue. Changing out the stone is really not hard to do, and it doesn't cost that much in the grand scheme of building a house. Luckily, you are not in the house yet, so you don't have the mess to deal with. If you have not closed on the house completely, or if there are more construction payments due, then you are in an even better position to enforce your decision.

    If, however, the contractor would prefer litigation, or wants to be difficult, please tell me what it is exactly that you do not like about the stone. I don't think it is the grout, and I wouldn't mess with it. If it is indeed the color of some of the stones, you can tone it down or change it easily. It might make some of the stones a bit darker, but you could tone that yellow color down. I did this successfully to a fireplace I had many years ago to give more variation to the stones. Apply Wood Stain on the stones directly. You can pick out a few of the stones and change them easily and it will look very natural. Obviously not all, only a few. Use a tiny bit of sponge for more control.
    Good Luck.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Paint and glaze before and after !
  • 14 years ago
    The same thing happened to me with a tile job. Before you gut it and start over, try finding a paint that will match the other stones and dilute it to almost a clear water consistency. I then applied it with a dry brush a little at a time, letting it dry in between, until I got the perfect hue.
  • 14 years ago
    Yes, they did not vary the stones on the left side...it makes it look awkward. Get it fixed now by the builder before it's all yours....trust me. If your not happy now when your stuck with the cost of the fix you will be really unhappy. Been there....regret that.
  • 14 years ago
    With a little artistic license you can overcome all these problems with little effort. Acrylic paint applied with a sea sponge and and light hand can lighten (or darken) any stone. Just pick a color close to your favorite tone. Apply sparingly, let dry, apply more if necessary. The same may be done to grout...use a small stiff brush, diluted paint, scrub the color into the porous grout, and let it dry. What do you have to loose? Really, it will turn out great. I did it and it did!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think that it is not a problem with it being unattractive, it is a problem that you did not get what you selected. I would talk to the builder and ask for an upgrade in some other area of the home...to cover his mistake. Maybe a higher category of granite or marble in bath or kitchen. I would not rip it out...it is still a nice look and I think it will not in anyway make your home less lovely.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    If you look closely, there does seem to be a match between the yellow stones in both pictures. So this is going to require some finessing with the builder if you decide to go that route. Once you put in your drapes, etc. or even a fire screen, it might not be a problem. So I agree with Kelly Neville's idea. It is just very stressful to deal with such things. One other difference between the images is the horizontal row of stone directly above the fire opening. They used smaller stones in your desired model, which frames it slightly differently. It is more symmetrical and less random/abstract-looking. The one you don't want is more modernist, the original model more traditional.Your fireplace is just as appealing to me, but I prefer modernist styles. What kind of furnishings, etc are you planning?
  • 14 years ago
    I would just tint some stones on the left side. As you fill the place with furniture and art, you won't be so focused on it. I had some curbing done in my backyard and even though the plan was easy and laid out for the guy, he decided to add his artistic flair and made it asymmetrical in a place that doesn't make sense. Since then, all the other things that I wanted have been added and it is beautiful. Bottom line is, his flair and artistry doesn't even show, which amuses me now. It's up to you if you want them to re-do it -- you can tell them they need to be more careful with the stone color placement and see what they can do, maybe they can break out a few bricks and replace with dark. But staining it is also an easy option and you can move on with your home and enjoy the overall results.
  • 14 years ago
    You said the house is not finished. Sometimes lighting makes all the difference in noticing colors as well. If there are no drapes up and it is daylight, the colors may seem a lot brighter or more yellow. I have noticed that when picking out carpet colors. You select a sample under the bright light in the store and then take them home and the difference is sometimes unbelievable. Certain times of day also will change the perception of color. I , of course, do a lot of photography and times of day are sometimes critical to a good shot based on sunlight.
    You look at photography on my site Etsy shop, nancyhehmann and see what I mean about lighting and different times of day.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    You said the house is not finished. Sometimes lighting makes all the difference in noticing colors as well. If there are no drapes up and it is daylight, the colors may seem a lot brighter or more yellow. I have noticed that when picking out carpet colors. You select a sample under the bright light in the store and then take them home and the difference is sometimes unbelievable. Certain times of day also will change the perception of color. I , of course, do a lot of photography and times of day are sometimes critical to a good shot based on sunlight.
    You look at photography on my site Etsy shop, nancyhehmann and see what I mean about lighting and different times of day.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    UPDATE:: I had the veneer taken off and had another installer use a slightly different stone. I am getting a dark espresso brown mantle as the previous white one got damaged, but it is has not been completed. It was just fixed hours ago. Like night and day.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Much better...in hindsight the original lot should have been inspected before it was installed...you always expect some variation but that was a big difference. Looks Great!
  • 13 years ago
    Huge difference! Now you should be able to sleep tonight!
  • 13 years ago
    Wow, much better. The original had some weird dark and yellow colors and their spacing was really off. Good for you!!! I was just about to write to rip the whole thing out and start over because you would never be happy and then I read that is exactly what happened. :)
  • 13 years ago
    it is VERY nice !! good for you ! :)
  • 13 years ago
    Looks totally different. Great look!
  • 13 years ago
    Very nice!! A huge difference.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I will sleep well tonight.
  • 13 years ago
    Home Diva, since you in the process of building. How many days a week or month would you suggest someone should be visiting there new build or would you recommend just on days when specific items are being installed.
  • 13 years ago
    I don't think you are being nit picky. I love the fireplace on the right, the one on the left not so much. They darker stones mostly on one side make it look lopsided and the colors are not as bright as the example on the right. It could be the lighting in the room,but the variation and spacing on the colors is what is making it not appear correct. It doesn't look like what you wanted in my opinion. But, if they won't change anything, you can stain some of the stones on the other side a little darker to balance it out and stain the grout a darker color as well. And what color you choose for the wall will make a difference as well. Make sure you use paint samples to make sure you get a good color match to the stone.
  • 13 years ago
    I think you got stuck with an apprentice installer with no artistic eye. I'm most distracted by the three "yellow" stones together on the left side of the hearth. If it were mine, and they wouldn't fix it, I'd try whitewashing all of it. I think painting the wall behind it the color of the dark chocolate stones would make the "mistakes" look more like a deliberate statement, and not a "boo-boo!" Sorry you're unhappy!
  • 13 years ago
    Wow, I'm glad you were able to have the whole thing replaced. It looks gorgeous now. Did the builder give you a hard time about making the change? Did you have to pay extra? I'd love to know how that discussion went :)
  • 13 years ago
    olldcan - I recommend being there as much as possible and checking your model numbers to the items that arrive. I would demand being there for fireplace installation or brick features. Pavanneh and Decoenthusiaste, thanks so much. I had another set of installers come and reuse some of the stones and add a more mixed pallet - if you scroll up you will see that they fixed it. I have a picture of the corrected one now right under Carolina Photo's comment. Orangecamera, I had to go above my salesman, above the production manager and all the way to his boss, but once I got there, they did not give me any problems. I just let him know that the model home was done randomly symmetrical and that my fireplace looks like two different people with no attention to detail did mine. I uploaded the picture and he agreed. Later my salesman made the comment "Oh I heard you went all the way to the big boss on your fireplace" and I said that after the production manager told me there was nothing they could do at that point, that his answer was BS and I bypassed him and got what I wanted by doing so. Glad I got my way. If anyone here is building a house, I don't assume things will look like the model home. Be there or something like this can easily happen because the do hire the cheapest group of people they can find.
  • 13 years ago
    Another shot of the replaced stone.
  • 13 years ago
    Well done, Home Diva! Good for you standing your ground and getting what you should have gotten in the first place. And kudos also to the person who finally took you seriously and did the right thing. Now, every time you look at the fireplace, instead of thinking "ew, I don't love it", you can think of it as a symbol of your triumph!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks....so much better. It is the focal point and where my kids will hang their stockings and it would have erked me to see it the way it was for the rest of my life.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Home Diva, Like what you have done with your fireplace change. Great Job. A fireplace is so permanent, might as well get it done right. They stand out all day long! :=) Stay happy.
  • 13 years ago
    should the stones on the hearth be cut to size, they look too large for the base.
  • 13 years ago
    Hearth stones are often much larger than fireplace facade stones. People sometimes sit there and place heavy objects (such as wood) on the hearth. Large flat areas work well for these purposes and to ground the heaviness of this design element.